BoatBanter.com

-   Whitewater (https://www.boatbanter.com/whitewater/)
-   -   sotar raft or aire raft (https://www.boatbanter.com/whitewater/14821-sotar-raft-aire-raft.html)

springer March 17th 04 03:44 PM

sotar raft or aire raft

I've been saving for a raft for the last few years and I am now ready
to purchase one. I've used SOTAR rafts in the past, and have been
pleased with them. I am leaning towards a SOTAR, but if cost weren't
a consideration what raft would you buy? Many people have been
steering me towards AIRE, but I am concerned that with their bladder
system, that AIRE boats must be stored inflated (in the winter).
Which boat would you buy if you had about 5k to throw around.

Anthony Garcia March 17th 04 04:21 PM

sotar raft or aire raft

"springer" wrote in message
om...
I've been saving for a raft for the last few years and I am now ready
to purchase one. I've used SOTAR rafts in the past, and have been
pleased with them. I am leaning towards a SOTAR, but if cost weren't
a consideration what raft would you buy? Many people have been
steering me towards AIRE, but I am concerned that with their bladder
system, that AIRE boats must be stored inflated (in the winter).
Which boat would you buy if you had about 5k to throw around.

None ... for that $$$ buy an Avon

Bill Tuthill March 17th 04 05:36 PM

sotar raft or aire raft

springer wrote:
I've been saving for a raft for the last few years and I am now ready
to purchase one. I've used SOTAR rafts in the past, and have been
pleased with them. I am leaning towards a SOTAR, but if cost weren't
a consideration what raft would you buy? Many people have been
steering me towards AIRE, but I am concerned that with their bladder
system, that AIRE boats must be stored inflated (in the winter).
Which boat would you buy if you had about 5k to throw around.

What will be using it for?

The AIRE rafts are heavier in the river (due to water sticking between
the bladder and cover) and heavier during a portage, which makes them
unsuitable for low-flow/rocky portage-fest rivers. However this also
makes them more stable in big water.

If you are planning to do mostly silty Colorado-plateau rivers, I would
urge you to get a hypalon boat, such as Hyside, instead. The hypalon
rafts are lower performance, but roll up smaller. And let's face it:
all rafts are low performance, so does it really matter.

Randy Hodges March 17th 04 09:34 PM

sotar raft or aire raft

(springer) wrote in message
Which boat would you buy if you had about 5k to throw around.

You won't go wrong with either a SOTAR or an Aire - I would also look
at Avon and Hyside. If money was no object, I would definitely choose
an Avon.

EBay has had several new 14' SOTARS lately up for auction. They have
been going for under $2000. They are out of Grant's Pass Oregon so I
suspect they may be from the factory. A real deal.

Randy

quack March 17th 04 10:59 PM

sotar raft or aire raft

avon

springer March 18th 04 12:04 AM

sotar raft or aire raft

I am looking to use it for fishing and whitewater. I go to the
following rivers often, the New and gauley rivers in WV, Maine and
possibly the snake this summer. I would like to get a rowing frame
for it, for when I intend to fish.