BoatBanter.com

-   Whitewater (https://www.boatbanter.com/whitewater/)
-   -   life jackets (https://www.boatbanter.com/whitewater/14745-life-jackets.html)

[email protected] November 7th 03 10:14 PM

life jackets

Does anyone know the best life jacket for a white water guide to have?

Mary Malmros November 8th 03 01:07 PM

life jackets

writes:

Does anyone know the best life jacket for a white water guide to have?

Depends some on the rivers you'll be guiding and the types of trips
you'll be leading.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mary Malmros

Some days you're the windshield,
Other days you're the bug.

Bill Tuthill November 8th 03 06:27 PM

life jackets

Mary Malmros wrote:

writes:

Does anyone know the best life jacket for a white water guide to have?

Depends some on the rivers you'll be guiding and the types of trips
you'll be leading.

Exactly. If Karina is guiding out of Utah State University in Logan UT,
she might be working some big-water rivers like the Colorado Grand Canyon
or the Snake in Idaho. So I'd recommend an Extrasport Hi-Float.

It's possible she will be guiding lower-volume rivers like the Sevier,
Weber, Green, or Yampa, in which case a lower-flotation PFD might be
more comfortable to use when play-boat kayaking.

Mary Malmros November 8th 03 10:06 PM

life jackets

Bill Tuthill writes:

Mary Malmros wrote:

writes:

Does anyone know the best life jacket for a white water guide to have?

Depends some on the rivers you'll be guiding and the types of trips
you'll be leading.

Exactly. If Karina is guiding out of Utah State University in Logan UT,
she might be working some big-water rivers like the Colorado Grand Canyon
or the Snake in Idaho. So I'd recommend an Extrasport Hi-Float.

It's possible she will be guiding lower-volume rivers like the Sevier,
Weber, Green, or Yampa, in which case a lower-flotation PFD might be
more comfortable to use when play-boat kayaking.

Yup, I was also thinking that what extras -- pockets, lash tabs,
handwarmy thingies, etc. -- are desirable, and how they're
configured, depends a lot on how you'll be using it.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::

Carey Robson November 9th 03 01:43 AM

life jackets

Custom made by Northwater. www.northwater.com
Tell Lindsay I sent you.
____________________________
Sincerely,
Carey Robson -- www.CanoeBC.ca

Peter H November 9th 03 02:19 AM

life jackets

wrote:

Does anyone know the best life jacket for a white water guide to have?

I'll second Mary's comment. There is no one right PFD for anyone;
circumstances vary.

Yours in the north Maine woods,
Pete Hilton (Reg. Me. Guide) aka the Ent

--
Do not mistake technology
for civilization.

Peter H November 9th 03 02:21 AM

life jackets

Mary Malmros wrote:

Yup, I was also thinking that what extras -- pockets, lash tabs,
handwarmy thingies, etc. -- are desirable, and how they're
configured, depends a lot on how you'll be using it.

I feel this is examining the situation too closely. But it always comes
down to the circumstances at hand.

Pete H

--
Do not mistake technology
for civilization.

Mary Malmros November 9th 03 10:11 PM

life jackets

Peter H writes:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Yup, I was also thinking that what extras -- pockets, lash tabs,
handwarmy thingies, etc. -- are desirable, and how they're
configured, depends a lot on how you'll be using it.

I feel this is examining the situation too closely. But it always comes
down to the circumstances at hand.

Seems to me that those two sentences contradict each other. If it
comes down to the circumstances at hand, then those circumstances
are worth examining with a thought to choosing the most appropriate
tool -- especially since you'll probabl slap down $100 for it, and
especially since it may have to save your life.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::

Peter H November 10th 03 10:39 AM

life jackets

Mary Malmros wrote:

Peter H writes:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Yup, I was also thinking that what extras -- pockets, lash tabs,
handwarmy thingies, etc. -- are desirable, and how they're
configured, depends a lot on how you'll be using it.

I feel this is examining the situation too closely. But it always comes
down to the circumstances at hand.

Seems to me that those two sentences contradict each other.

Actually, they were meant to be complimentary. For most folks, the
"extras" in the previous post just aren't necessary; they want
functionality (bouancy) and need nothing else.

If it
comes down to the circumstances at hand, then those circumstances
are worth examining with a thought to choosing the most appropriate
tool -- especially since you'll probabl slap down $100 for it, and
especially since it may have to save your life.

Pockets, lash tabs, etc., may be desireable for some, but they're not
crucial to the PFD's prime role of affording bouancy.

Pete H

--
Men will confess to treason, arson, false teeth
or a wig; how many will admit a lack of humor?