BoatBanter.com

-   Whitewater (https://www.boatbanter.com/whitewater/)
-   -   Paddling Suggestions NY/MA (https://www.boatbanter.com/whitewater/14646-re-paddling-suggestions-ny-ma.html)

Rick July 17th 03 12:32 AM

Paddling Suggestions NY/MA

Zoar Gap

I think its in the NW corner of MA. There are dam releases you might want
to look into before going. I am not sure there is enough water when the
dams are up.

Rick

"Steve" wrote in message
Will be in NY/MA area next week and need some paddling suggestions.
Novice to intermediate (I-II) river/creek kayaking within a 50 Mile
radius of Lenox,MA and or 30 mile radius of Tannersville,NY.
Housatonic? Kaaterskil Creek?

TIA
Steve

Mary Malmros July 17th 03 03:40 AM

Paddling Suggestions NY/MA

"Rick" writes:

Zoar Gap

I think its in the NW corner of MA. There are dam releases you might want
to look into before going. I am not sure there is enough water when the
dams are up.

The dams are ALWAYS up. They don't dismantle 'em between releases
;-)

Seriously, the dam for that section (the Fife Brook section of the
Deerfield River) is a bottom-release dam. At this time of year, us
locals think it's balmy; other folks tend to find it on the nippy
side pretty much year round. The section is I-II EXCEPT for Zoar
Gap, which is a short but tricky III. It provides a fun time for
those of class III ability, and those who aren't of class III
ability provide a fun time for the rest of us ;-)

--
Mary Malmros

Ronald Donahue July 18th 03 02:56 PM

Paddling Suggestions NY/MA

Love your signature line now I will be thinking of the opening scene from
"Men in Black" all day

Ron Donahue

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message

Zoar Gap