BoatBanter.com

-   UK Power Boats (https://www.boatbanter.com/uk-power-boats/)
-   -   Experience with Wallas 95DU Diesel 'HOB' stove top (https://www.boatbanter.com/uk-power-boats/25492-experience-wallas-95du-diesel-hob-stove-top.html)

Paul E. Bennett November 23rd 04 10:23 PM

wrote:

Hello.

I am restoring an old wooden trawler which my wife and I are looking to
retire
on in a few year. There is currently a Dickinson diesel stove which we
like in that it provides heat, dries the cabin, as well as is usable for a
cook top.
Perfect for the Pacific North West were we live. But the prospect of
using this for cooking in warmer latitudes is not as appealing :-)

I have been looking at a 2 burner propane cook top to augment the
Dickinson in warmer areas, and I just came across the Wallas ceramic
diesel cook tops..

I have fitted a Wallas 95DU in my boat but, as I have only just got it
afloat, I haven't yet fuelled it up and started it off. I will happily post
a report when I have though, shouldn't be too much longer but there are a
number of tasks to complete before I get that far (issues to do with
correct ballasting so that I can re-site the battery units to where they
really belong).

I have seen one in operation though and it seems to pour out a significant
heat on full power but this can be controlled down to lower levels if that
suits better. I have the fan lid over the top of the hob on mine as this
seemed quite sensible to include anyway. I shall be running my 95DU on
parafin as Karunda Marine (the agents here in UK) said that it would be
cleaner burning than the parafin version, and probably quite a bit cleaner
than burning diesel in the 95DU.

After finding all I could on the web I am looking for some peoples
experience. Being located in the US, there does not seem to be much
written, so was hoping these lists might have some insight.

1) Does it concentrate heat produced to the cooking area, or would it tend
also heat the cabin? (Thinking of how the Dickinson operates vs. a
propane cook top)

The demonstrator I saw on Kurunda's stand at an exhibition seemed to keep
it to just the ceramic area of the hob with the fan lid up but distributed
heat to the ambient air when the lid was down - fan switched on.

2) What has been the experience with them? Reliable?

3) Are there any special startup/shut down procedures? Does it take a
time to 'warm up' before it is usable for cooking

These last two points I will have to report on later when I have fired mine
up.

My basic goal here is how does it compare to a propane stove top. I do
get the impression these are rather expensive, but the idea of being able
to fit out our boat using only one fuel type (and hence dispensing with
any Propane system) is very attractive.

I have also found out that C-Dory uses them, though it seems as much for
heating
as for cooking. I will be seeking out C-Dory owners for their experience.

Thank you all ahead of time for any comments you have.

I was recommended to obtain one of the skillet pan sets which are
demonstrated at many of the boat shows here. This is a stacking pair of
what look like frying pans, a glass lid and a heat spreader device (should
you need one). It becomes possible to use the lower pan as an oven and the
upper pan as a steamer so that you can cook a meal in one go on the stove
top. The two metal pans, with one inverted, also make a credible oven. I
have already bought the pans and have tried them out at home so I know they
work well.

Paul E. Bennett ....................email://peb@a...
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....http://www.amleth.demon.co.uk/
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 .........NOW AVAILABLE:- HIDECS COURSE......
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095 .... see
http://www.feabhas.com for details.

[email protected] November 23rd 04 10:41 PM

Experience with Wallas 95DU Diesel 'HOB' stove top

Hello.

I am restoring an old wooden trawler which my wife and I are looking to retire
on in a few year. There is currently a Dickinson diesel stove which we like in
that it provides heat, dries the cabin, as well as is usable for a cook top.
Perfect for the Pacific North West were we live. But the prospect of using this
for cooking in warmer latitudes is not as appealing :-)

I have been looking at a 2 burner propane cook top to augment the Dickinson in
warmer areas, and I just came across the Wallas ceramic diesel cook tops..

After finding all I could on the web I am looking for some peoples experience.
Being located in the US, there does not seem to be much written, so was hoping
these lists might have some insight.

1) Does it concentrate heat produced to the cooking area, or would it tend to
also heat the cabin? (Thinking of how the Dickinson operates vs. a propane cook
top)

2) What has been the experience with them? Reliable?

3) Are there any special startup/shut down procedures? Does it take a time to
'warm up' before it is usable for cooking

My basic goal here is how does it compare to a propane stove top. I do get the
impression these are rather expensive, but the idea of being able to fit out our
boat using only one fuel type (and hence dispensing with any Propane system) is
very attractive.

I have also found out that C-Dory uses them, though it seems as much for heating
as for cooking. I will be seeking out C-Dory owners for their experience.

Thank you all ahead of time for any comments you have.

Al Thomason
45' Ed Monk Sr. 'trawler'