BoatBanter.com

-   UK Power Boats (https://www.boatbanter.com/uk-power-boats/)
-   -   Repairing an Outboard Crankshaft (https://www.boatbanter.com/uk-power-boats/13114-repairing-outboard-crankshaft.html)

Liam Tovey May 18th 04 09:03 AM

Repairing an Outboard Crankshaft

I have a 3 cylinder yamaha 90hp outboard (1998). One of the oil injection
hoses came loose during transit, and the 2nd cylinder caused the engine to
overheat. The result is a crankshaft with half the centre journal a bit
scuffed. I'm told by a mechanic that I would be crazy to use the motor again
without replacing the crankshaft ($1200). It amazes me that I cannot find
anywhere in Australia, let alone the world who can repair a crankshaft !

Is it possible to get some sort of two part hardened metal sleeve that can
be fitted over the jounal once it has been ground down to restore it to it's
original size ? How deep is the "Hardening" on the crankshaft ? How else are
crankshafts repaired ?

Thanks for your assistance

Liam

Arne Kjetil May 20th 04 11:15 AM

Repairing an Outboard Crankshaft

Here you get some info about this tema .
http://www.neecaprecisions.com/home read the FAQ

"Liam Tovey" skrev i melding