BoatBanter.com

-   UK Paddle (https://www.boatbanter.com/uk-paddle/)
-   -   Selling a boat (https://www.boatbanter.com/uk-paddle/15089-selling-boat.html)

Howie May 5th 04 09:17 AM

Selling a boat

Hello all,

I have a question about selling a boat.

It's a 17' Old Town Discovery 174 Canadian Kayak. Green.

problem is, I've only used it twice since I bought it 2 years
ago, and I don't know what it's worth, or where to advertise it!
It's in very good condition, - always been stored as instructed.

Can anyone give me a hint? Appreciate it.

H.

--
Howard Coakley
e-mail... howarddot}coakleyatcoakleydot].codotuk

Peter Clinch May 5th 04 09:37 AM

Selling a boat

Howie wrote:

It's a 17' Old Town Discovery 174 Canadian Kayak. Green.

problem is, I've only used it twice since I bought it 2 years
ago, and I don't know what it's worth, or where to advertise it!
It's in very good condition, - always been stored as instructed.

Can anyone give me a hint? Appreciate it.

First up, is it /really/ a kayak? Old Town do make Kayaks but I've
never come across a 17 footer. OTOH, they do make very well respected
17' Canadian/open canoes... Do you use single or double ended paddles
to make it go? If it's single bladed then we'll be talking canoe rather
than kayak.

I still won't know what it's worth, but if you find out I might very
well be interested if it isn't at the other end of the country. Where
abouts are you?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Howie May 5th 04 02:52 PM

Selling a boat

On Wed, 05 May 2004 09:37:50 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

|First up, is it /really/ a kayak?

snip

Of coure it isn't. It's an open CANOE! (sorry, I was being a
pillock).

|I still won't know what it's worth, but if you find out I might very
|well be interested if it isn't at the other end of the country. Where
|abouts are you?
|
|Pete.

It's not looking good is it?. I'm in Brixham, S.Devon. - The
other end of the country :-(

H.

Peter Clinch May 5th 04 03:05 PM

Selling a boat

Howie wrote:

It's not looking good is it?. I'm in Brixham, S.Devon. - The
other end of the country :-(

Bah!
Hey ho, hope you get a sensible valuation and sale following...

Pete.

John Woodhall May 5th 04 04:43 PM

Selling a boat

It's not looking good is it?. I'm in Brixham, S.Devon. - The
other end of the country :-(

Bah!
Hey ho, hope you get a sensible valuation and sale following...

Any chance you could deliver to the Midlands and I give you a tenner for it.
;-)

Howie May 5th 04 05:08 PM

Selling a boat

On Wed, 5 May 2004 16:43:51 +0100, "John Woodhall"
wrote:

| It's not looking good is it?. I'm in Brixham, S.Devon. - The
| other end of the country :-(
|
| Bah!
| Hey ho, hope you get a sensible valuation and sale following...
|

|Any chance you could deliver to the Midlands and I give you a tenner for it.
|;-)

Hey! There's _always_ a chance!

Now, all we have to do is think up a set of circumstances which
would turn this chance into a certainty!

I'm thinking..........

Still thinking.........
;-)

Charlie May 5th 04 05:30 PM

Selling a boat

Howie wrote in message . ..
Can anyone give me a hint? Appreciate it.

Find out the list price from a couple of reatilers, I think our club
bought a similar boat recently and list was around 800 quid, but check
that out.

Remember that most retailers will knock 10% of list straight away
then, assuming it's in near mint condition, I guess you could take
another 25%, give or take, off. I'd say it needs to be enough of a
discount to make folks give up the brand new boat feeling and the
warranty/support they'd get buying new. Just my opinion though.

You've pretty much advertised on here, so try the 'for sale' forums on
the 'communicate' section SCA website[1] (though that seems to be down
at the moment) and the 'community' section of the UK Rivers site[2]. I
guess the SCA is only much use if you're in/near Scotland but you
never know.

Then there's a couple of UK paddling mags (Playboating, Paddles,
Canoeist). They all have classified pages.

Good luck.

[1] http://www.scot-canoe.org/
[2] http://pub97.ezboard.com/bukriversguidebook

Howie May 5th 04 08:44 PM

Selling a boat

On 5 May 2004 09:30:04 -0700, (Charlie)
wrote:

snip

Thanks Charlie, Some really useful advice here.

Appreciate it, - thanks.

H.

TSS May 5th 04 10:16 PM

Selling a boat

I've just ordered a Brand New one having not been able to find one
secondhand (but I'm too far away as well)!. Cheapest price I could find new
was £617

Hope this helps.

TSS

Howie May 8th 04 11:50 AM

Selling a boat

On Wed, 5 May 2004 22:16:33 +0100, "TSS"
wrote:

|I've just ordered a Brand New one having not been able to find one
|secondhand (but I'm too far away as well)!. Cheapest price I could find new
|was £617
|
|Hope this helps.
|
|TSS
It certainly does.