Steve

Default Loch Ard /Lake of Monteith

I'm planning on doing some easy paddling in my Canadian on these two next
week and probably a bit of fishing -

Is there anything I need to take note of?

Regards

Steve

Mike Buckley

"Jim Wallis" wrote in message
Mike has barely explained it - Lake of Menteith is a BIG fishery

(Trout
presumably) and whenever I've passed there have been loads of angling
boats out on it. I'm sure if you are in season and you pay to use one

of
their boats you've got a chance, but I think you might get hassle

trying
to bimble around on your own coarse fishing or something.

!!

Once the Loch Leven positino is clarified, perhaps Lake of Menteith and
Carron Valley Reservoir should be targetted as well! Good paddling /
sailing waters preserntly subject to unreasonable and selfish control by
the vested interests of a small minorty group.

Loch Ard is kind of nice, as are other lochs around there. I think

there
may be restrictions on Loch Katrine because it's reservoir, never sure
why some reservoirs have restrictions, the water is treated and there

is
a steamboat on it.....

Katrine is one of those situations where officialdom get officioius and
try and refuse that which they have no right to refuse. Apparantly. IIRC
there was some debate here a while back - a Google Groups search would
get it.

You are wise to avoid Loch Lomond, it can be too busy with power boats
and thoughtless idiots, but getting on from Balmaha, or Rowardennan or
even Inversnaid would probably be nice too! There have been problems

at
Balmaha, I think if you launch without using the slipway you're OK!

Something on the SCA site re this - check out the Touring section.
Plenty of places to launch and paddle, but as Jim says, you need to
watch out for the cretins in the speed boats. Then again, experience
tells me that you need to watch out for ALL other water-users,
especially ANYTHING bigger than you and capaable of going fast.

In general terms, the ability to reach high speed will be inversly
linked to the operators aility to think and reason in anything
resembling a cogent fashion, so treat accordingly.

Mike.

Ewan Scott

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:05:59 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Buckley"
wrote:

"Jim Wallis" wrote in message
[...]

My info is now well out of date.... however, there was an isue some
time ago about access to Lochs used as reservoirs and the use of said
waters. Seemed to me rather crass at the time but I can't see why you
can't canoe Katrine when there's a bloody great steamer going up and
down it every day :-)

Ewan Scott
http://www.claytonwestscouts.org.uk

Steve

Thanks for that guys. I'm staying at the west end of Loch Ard so will get
chance to survey and report back.

Lakeof Monteith doesn't quite conjuror up the image of an idyllic paddle
anymore!

Best Regards

Steve

Ewan Scott

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 21:28:11 GMT, "Broooz"
wrote:

"Ewan Scott" wrote in message
.. .

My info is now well out of date.... however, there was an isue some
time ago about access to Lochs used as reservoirs and the use of said
waters. Seemed to me rather crass at the time but I can't see why you
can't canoe Katrine when there's a bloody great steamer going up and
down it every day :-)

There used to be a theory that you could not partake in watersports on a
reservoir in case you peed in the water (even if in your wetsuit). Then the
London reservoirs permitted it if you wore a drysuit - not much fun in
summer. For some reason, no thought was given to the possibility of
fisherman doing the same on the banks of the reservoir or for that matter,
countless animals.

I suspect the rules are more down to protecting certain interests that have
unreasonable persuasion as well as in response to prejudice from a small
proportion of the public who think it affects water quality whereas clearly
it does not.

This wasn't, at the time, a theory. It was a requirement - and it
applied to a specific cachement area that included about seven or
eight water providing lochs supplying the central belt local
authorities. Farmers were prosecuted for burning caracsses on the
surrounding hillsides, or if their vehicles leaked oil into the
watercourse!!

A somewhat impractical situation. That was some 15 years ago and I'm
sure that that may have changed. I'm also sure that it was a policy
publicly upheld by landowners to keep people off their property. Not
that it will stop people now:-)

Ewan Scott
http://www.claytonwestscouts.org.uk
Keith Meredith

In article ,
Broooz wrote:
There used to be a theory that you could not partake in watersports on a
reservoir in case you peed in the water

Did they make the fish climb out to pee? :-) It used to be said that well
water was safe to drink if newts lived in the well!

Best wishes

Keith

--
__ _ _ @ + "I took | Water Ramblers
|\/| |_ |_) |_) \/ /\ up canoeing instead of climbing | Canoe Club
| | |__ | \ | \ / \__/ when I realised I could swim | On the R. Ouse
but not fly!" |at Harrold, Beds

Jel Coward

In article , Keith Meredith
writes
Did they make the fish climb out to pee? :-) It used to be said that well
water was safe to drink if newts lived in the well!

has that got something do with the expression '****ed as a newt'?

Cheers
--
Jel