BoatBanter.com

-   Touring (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/)
-   -   Removing mildew from gear? (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/76511-removing-mildew-gear.html)

Wm Donley December 9th 06 10:49 PM

Removing mildew from gear?

Hi all. Getting to be cold enough to need my favorite semi-dry jacket.
Turns out I'd left it in my front hatch all summer, and it's covered
with tiny mildew dots. It's a Patagonia, label says "hand wash only, no
bleach". Any great anti-mildew ideas to share? Thanks.........Bill

--
If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, then drummers are from Pluto
"Strange Fruit"

mrichards December 11th 06 01:31 PM

Removing mildew from gear?

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 17:49:19 -0500, Wm Donley
wrote:

Hi all. Getting to be cold enough to need my favorite semi-dry jacket.
Turns out I'd left it in my front hatch all summer, and it's covered
with tiny mildew dots. It's a Patagonia, label says "hand wash only, no
bleach". Any great anti-mildew ideas to share? Thanks.........Bill

You may want to take a look at the Clorox 2. It is especially for clothes
with labels that say not to bleach. I have had good results with it.
Just make sure and follow the directions.
MR

thief December 11th 06 08:29 PM

Removing mildew from gear?

http://www.mcnett.com/page.cfm?pageID=559
mirazyme....works awesome....
dip and then hang dry.....
we use it at the shop i work at....

Brian Nystrom December 11th 06 10:11 PM

Removing mildew from gear?

thief wrote:
http://www.mcnett.com/page.cfm?pageID=559
mirazyme....works awesome....
dip and then hang dry.....
we use it at the shop i work at....

If you rinse your gear and let it dry completely, you don't need
anything else. I've tested "Mirazyme" and "Sink the Stink" and neither
one works any better than rinsing and drying without them. Neither one
will prevent your gear from getting foul if you don't rinse and dry it
properly. IMO, they're a waste of money.

Richard Ferguson December 11th 06 11:12 PM

Removing mildew from gear?

Wash it and hang it on the clothes line for a few days, the sun and wind
are helpful.

Richard

Wm Donley wrote:

Hi all. Getting to be cold enough to need my favorite semi-dry jacket.
Turns out I'd left it in my front hatch all summer, and it's covered
with tiny mildew dots. It's a Patagonia, label says "hand wash only, no
bleach". Any great anti-mildew ideas to share? Thanks.........Bill

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com
Sculptures in copper and other metals