BoatBanter.com

-   Touring (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/)
-   -   Heavy anchor for canoe? (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/75616-heavy-anchor-canoe.html)

donquijote1954 November 6th 06 09:27 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

Howdy!

I'm considering a heavy anchor (perhaps 6.5 lbs or heavier) such that
if --for example-- my partner gets tired in heavy wind I can have the
canoe stay put while she rests. Or if I must abandon the flooded canoe
and swim, I can come back and retrieve it at the same spot the next
day.

What do I need?

Thanks!

Walt November 6th 06 10:01 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

donquijote1954 wrote:

I'm considering a heavy anchor (perhaps 6.5 lbs or heavier) such that
if --for example-- my partner gets tired in heavy wind I can have the
canoe stay put while she rests. Or if I must abandon the flooded canoe
and swim, I can come back and retrieve it at the same spot the next
day.

What do I need?

You want an anchor that holds, which is not necessarily the same thing
as a heavy anchor. There are lightweight anchors that hold quite well.
And heavy anchors that don't.

The primary determining factor is what sort of bottom you canoe over.
The characteristics of the bottom determine the optimum anchor. That
said, a basic small danforth should be fine for most situations.

BTW, do not abandon your boat. It drives the first responders crazy.
Thanks.

//Walt

Wm Watt November 8th 06 03:53 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

donquijote1954 wrote:
Howdy!

I'm considering a heavy anchor (perhaps 6.5 lbs or heavier) such that
if --for example-- my partner gets tired in heavy wind I can have the
canoe stay put while she rests. Or if I must abandon the flooded canoe
and swim, I can come back and retrieve it at the same spot the next
day.

What do I need?

Thanks!

I'd suggest trying a gallon plastic jug full of sand, cement, scrap
metal, or anything heavy.
The plastic won't scratch up the bottom of the boat.
Tie a line to the handle on the jug.
In my neighbourhood we have plastic recyling so you can find plastic
jugs at the curb on garbage day. Cheap to replace when necessary.
In pre-plastic times we used a gallon paint can full of cement on a 16
foot fishing boat.

Boating books say to put out 5-6 times a smuch line as depth, ie in 6
ft of water put out 30 ft of anchor line. That's partly to get the
spokes on patented anchors to dig in but also to put some spring in the
line to reduce anchor drag.

donquijote1954 November 8th 06 05:21 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

Walt wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:

I'm considering a heavy anchor (perhaps 6.5 lbs or heavier) such that
if --for example-- my partner gets tired in heavy wind I can have the
canoe stay put while she rests. Or if I must abandon the flooded canoe
and swim, I can come back and retrieve it at the same spot the next
day.

What do I need?

You want an anchor that holds, which is not necessarily the same thing
as a heavy anchor. There are lightweight anchors that hold quite well.
And heavy anchors that don't.

The primary determining factor is what sort of bottom you canoe over.
The characteristics of the bottom determine the optimum anchor. That
said, a basic small danforth should be fine for most situations.

Well, I got a 5.5 lbs grapnel and intend to test its hold and upsize as
necessary or change to the type you mention. And they look like a
formidable weapon to boot! :)

By the way, I think the bottom is loose sand (Florida Intracostal) but
haven't seen it.

BTW, do not abandon your boat. It drives the first responders crazy.
Thanks.

I know but I may have seashore no more than a mile away and likely to
be a block away and swimming is always a good option before rescue.
THANKS!

donquijote1954 November 8th 06 05:24 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

Wm Watt wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:
Howdy!

I'm considering a heavy anchor (perhaps 6.5 lbs or heavier) such that
if --for example-- my partner gets tired in heavy wind I can have the
canoe stay put while she rests. Or if I must abandon the flooded canoe
and swim, I can come back and retrieve it at the same spot the next
day.

What do I need?

Thanks!

I'd suggest trying a gallon plastic jug full of sand, cement, scrap
metal, or anything heavy.
The plastic won't scratch up the bottom of the boat.
Tie a line to the handle on the jug.
In my neighbourhood we have plastic recyling so you can find plastic
jugs at the curb on garbage day. Cheap to replace when necessary.
In pre-plastic times we used a gallon paint can full of cement on a 16
foot fishing boat.

Recycling is always a good idea! :)

Boating books say to put out 5-6 times a smuch line as depth, ie in 6
ft of water put out 30 ft of anchor line. That's partly to get the
spokes on patented anchors to dig in but also to put some spring in the
line to reduce anchor drag.

So I got a 100' rope, which seemed to me twice as long as necessary,
should I cut at 50'?

By the way, DO I NEED A CHAIN???

donquijote1954 November 8th 06 09:27 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

Walt wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:

I'm considering a heavy anchor (perhaps 6.5 lbs or heavier) such that
if --for example-- my partner gets tired in heavy wind I can have the
canoe stay put while she rests. Or if I must abandon the flooded canoe
and swim, I can come back and retrieve it at the same spot the next
day.

What do I need?

You want an anchor that holds, which is not necessarily the same thing
as a heavy anchor. There are lightweight anchors that hold quite well.
And heavy anchors that don't.

The primary determining factor is what sort of bottom you canoe over.
The characteristics of the bottom determine the optimum anchor. That
said, a basic small danforth should be fine for most situations.

Well, you seem to be right. I quote here...

Grapnel Type: This style of anchor works much like a
grappling hook. It takes hold of debris or rocks at the
bottom. It is ineffective on muddy or sandy bottoms but
works fairly well out at the jetties. Be prepared to loose
this anchor though.

On the other hand...

Danforth/Fortress type anchor: This type of anchor is
one of the best anchors for holding in many different
types of bottom composition. It weighs less than other
anchors yet holds better due to its design. These anchors
usually perform better when a short length of chain is
used as a leader before the rope is attached.

http://www.texasgulfcoastfishing.com/anchors.htm

Thanks. So I guess I'll go and exchange before it's too late.

donquijote1954 November 8th 06 09:41 PM

How about this anchor?

In 4 lbs? Is this the same as Danforth?

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

donquijote1954 November 8th 06 10:00 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

It sounds like me, though I'm not fishing and I don't mind the
swinging...

"Once you've found biting fish, you may want to anchor the canoe in
position. When anchoring a canoe use two anchors to minimize the boat
from swinging (unless you intentionally want to do so to fish a wider
area). To properly anchor a canoe, put one off the bow and the other
directly off the stern. Do not tie anchors off the sides of a canoe as
this can lead the canoe turning over in heavy waves. Mushroom or river
anchors between eight- to 15-pounds coupled with nylon rope will work
for most canoes. When tying off anchors use quick-release knots so
slack line can be let out in the event of unexpected waves surprising
you to ensure the canoe doesn't become swamped."

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...objectID=30095

So one on the bow with short chain should do. Preferably Danforth.

Walt November 8th 06 10:07 PM

How about this anchor?

donquijote1954 wrote:
In 4 lbs? Is this the same as Danforth?

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Yes, that is a Danforth anchor. You don't need a big one for a canoe.

//Walt

Cyli November 9th 06 04:43 AM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

On 8 Nov 2006 14:00:43 -0800, "donquijote1954"
wrote:

It sounds like me, though I'm not fishing and I don't mind the
swinging...

"Once you've found biting fish, you may want to anchor the canoe in
position. When anchoring a canoe use two anchors to minimize the boat
from swinging (unless you intentionally want to do so to fish a wider
area). To properly anchor a canoe, put one off the bow and the other
directly off the stern. Do not tie anchors off the sides of a canoe as
this can lead the canoe turning over in heavy waves.

Anchors at both ends seems risky to me unless one has a lot of slack
rope. I'd not do it myself, even with slack. Wind or tide or current
should keep a canoe pointed / placed in one direction for quite a
while with just one anchor.
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Cyli November 9th 06 04:47 AM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

On 8 Nov 2006 09:21:35 -0800, "donquijote1954"
wrote:

BTW, do not abandon your boat. It drives the first responders crazy.
Thanks.

And a swamped boat without any sort of lights or flags can be a danger
to other craft.

I know but I may have seashore no more than a mile away and likely to
be a block away and swimming is always a good option before rescue.

Not generally recommended, but it's your life. You might want to take
a look and thought at what kind of shore and what you'll have to hike
/ wade through once you get to the shore before you find civilization,
too. If you're on the Inter Coastal Waterway, there should be
traffic along to help you out fairly soon, as opposed to swimming and
then hiking or wading.

Michael Daly November 9th 06 06:22 AM

How about this anchor?

donquijote1954 wrote:
In 4 lbs? Is this the same as Danforth?

Yes.

Michael Daly November 9th 06 06:26 AM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

Cyli wrote:

Wind or tide or current
should keep a canoe pointed / placed in one direction for quite a
while with just one anchor.

Until the wind/tide changes. If a river has a steady current, you'd be fine.
Boats routinely anchor with two anchors to prevent drift. You can have one off
each end or two in a V at one end. Perfectly safe unless you use 20' of rode at
low tide in a 40' tide zone. And never anchor beam on to the surf :-)

Mike

Cyli November 9th 06 08:13 AM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 01:26:29 -0500, Michael Daly
wrote:

Cyli wrote:

Wind or tide or current
should keep a canoe pointed / placed in one direction for quite a
while with just one anchor.

Until the wind/tide changes.

That's why I said 'for some time.' Nothing, particularly tide and
wind, lasts forever in the same direction.

If a river has a steady current, you'd be fine.
Boats routinely anchor with two anchors to prevent drift. You can have one off
each end or two in a V at one end. Perfectly safe unless you use 20' of rode at
low tide in a 40' tide zone. And never anchor beam on to the surf :-)

Me for the two in a vee at one end. But then I have mostly been a
river camper.

I know people have done the short rope / higher tide thing, though
it's hard to imagine that they managed to get to a place where they
could anchor without understanding about tide, but after what I've
seen on the river not understanding (and not willing to understand,
when one tries to explain) about current and wind, I have to believe
it.

donquijote1954 November 9th 06 04:23 PM

How about this anchor?

Walt wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:
In 4 lbs? Is this the same as Danforth?

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Yes, that is a Danforth anchor. You don't need a big one for a canoe.

//Walt

Good. I wonder though if this, which sells on requiring 70% less rope,
is worth the price difference...

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Having 30' rather than 100' makes sense. Is there something to have the
rope neat and untangled?

donquijote1954 November 9th 06 04:27 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

wrote:

BTW, do not abandon your boat. It drives the first responders crazy.
Thanks.

And a swamped boat without any sort of lights or flags can be a danger
to other craft.

Not much: It's a 14' plastic canoe. I can leave something on though.
Gee, I need a flag! Something with a clamp.

I know but I may have seashore no more than a mile away and likely to
be a block away and swimming is always a good option before rescue.

Not generally recommended, but it's your life. You might want to take
a look and thought at what kind of shore and what you'll have to hike
/ wade through once you get to the shore before you find civilization,
too. If you're on the Inter Coastal Waterway, there should be
traffic along to help you out fairly soon, as opposed to swimming and
then hiking or wading.

The "civilization" is right the the mansions of the Rich and Famous.
Unless they receive me a rifle and/or dogs. :(

Walt November 9th 06 04:58 PM

How about this anchor?

donquijote1954 wrote:

Good. I wonder though if this, which sells on requiring 70% less rope,
is worth the price difference...

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

I've never seen one of those in action, but I'd be skeptical. As a rule
of thumb you want about a 7:1 scope for an anchor. This much scope
ensures that the pull on the anchor is always horizontal, never
vertical. A danforth anchor is designed to hold with a horizontal pull,
but come free with a vertical pull - that's how you un-anchor yourself
when it's time to get going again.

This thing claims to hold with up to a 45 degree pull. Seems to me that
if this is actually true (as I say, I'm skeptical) it might make it hard
to retrieve.

Having 30' rather than 100' makes sense. Is there something to have the
rope neat and untangled?

Yes. Learn to coil lines. And don't buy cheap-ass lines that hockle
and tie themselves in knots.

BTW, you should probably have a throw line that's 100' long and floats.
I'd invest in this long before spending money on an anchor.

//Walt

Wm Watt November 9th 06 05:23 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

I'd be careful trying to swim very far off and ocean shore. I was
surprized once while swimming in the surf how far the undertow(?)
carried me away. I had to swim hard to get back to the beach. Dumb
tourist.

I'm a freshwater boater myself but I've read that a boat rising and
falling on ocean swells can drag it's anchor if the line is too short.
When a storm hit our exposed moorings at a local freshwater sailing
club a lot of boats dragged their moorings and those were large
concrete blocks.

donquijote1954 November 11th 06 05:12 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

Wm Watt wrote:
I'd be careful trying to swim very far off and ocean shore. I was
surprized once while swimming in the surf how far the undertow(?)
carried me away. I had to swim hard to get back to the beach. Dumb
tourist.

I'm a freshwater boater myself but I've read that a boat rising and
falling on ocean swells can drag it's anchor if the line is too short.
When a storm hit our exposed moorings at a local freshwater sailing
club a lot of boats dragged their moorings and those were large
concrete blocks.

I've got a sit-on-top which would have all the flotation I need and I
just need to jump back on, but the canoe, though it floats when
swamped, I guess I would'n care to bail out.

The canoe I only use in the Intracoastal, of course.

Bob Gramann November 13th 06 07:58 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

Attach some ethafoam flotation to the insides of the canoe along the sides
in the middle (gluing it works). That makes it pretty stable when it's
flooded. After you turn it upright and climb in, you can splash out a lot
of the water with your paddle and paddle that boat into shore (you can still
paddle a swamped boat). No need to leave it.

--Bob G.

oups.com...

donquijote1954 November 13th 06 08:03 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

Well, I went back to the store and thought the Danforth was too bulky
and sharp so I bought a 10lb Navy type anchor. It got the flukes, but
not the bulk.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Would I need a chain for it???

One situation I may encounter where I need a strong anchor is when I'm
facing a strong wind and the waves flood the boat too much, so I throw
anchor, bail out, and keep on going. This happens quite often in winter
time when I'm returning home. We are two people and one can't keep the
canoe straight into the wind.

Don Freeman November 13th 06 08:10 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

"Bob Gramann" wrote in message
"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
Howdy!

I'm considering a heavy anchor (perhaps 6.5 lbs or heavier) such that
if --for example-- my partner gets tired in heavy wind I can have the
canoe stay put while she rests. Or if I must abandon the flooded canoe
and swim, I can come back and retrieve it at the same spot the next
day.

What do I need?

After you turn it upright and climb in, you can splash out a lot of the
water with your paddle and paddle that boat into shore (you can still
paddle a swamped boat). No need to leave it.

Do canoeists not bring bilge pumps out with them?

--
-Don
Ever had one of those days where you just felt like:

Cyli November 14th 06 04:20 AM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:10:04 -0800, "Don Freeman"
wrote:

Do canoeists not bring bilge pumps out with them?

I did after a couple of years of canoeing. I never saw or heard of
anyone else in MN using one in a canoe, but I did mostly quiet waters.
I needed it mainly because I don't turn my canoe over when I camp, so
if there's a storm, I had to bail or dump it over.

donquijote1954 November 14th 06 04:36 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

Bob Gramann wrote:
Attach some ethafoam flotation to the insides of the canoe along the sides
in the middle (gluing it works). That makes it pretty stable when it's
flooded. After you turn it upright and climb in, you can splash out a lot
of the water with your paddle and paddle that boat into shore (you can still
paddle a swamped boat). No need to leave it.

It has the foam, only that I didn't know I could paddle it. I guess I
can try this techniques in calm water. Thanks.

donquijote1954 November 14th 06 04:38 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

Don Freeman wrote:
After you turn it upright and climb in, you can splash out a lot of the
water with your paddle and paddle that boat into shore (you can still
paddle a swamped boat). No need to leave it.

Do canoeists not bring bilge pumps out with them?

True. But will it work when the canoe is fully flooded and perhaps more
waves are splashing on it? I guess I got to try to technique too when I
get the pump.

Before I had a sit on top only so I must get acquainted with sit ins.

donquijote1954 November 14th 06 04:41 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

wrote:

Do canoeists not bring bilge pumps out with them?

I did after a couple of years of canoeing. I never saw or heard of
anyone else in MN using one in a canoe, but I did mostly quiet waters.
I needed it mainly because I don't turn my canoe over when I camp, so
if there's a storm, I had to bail or dump it over.

Now that you mention it, can it rain hard enough to overwhelm a canoe
even if you got a pump? Are there foot pumps?

Don Freeman November 14th 06 05:05 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

wrote:

Do canoeists not bring bilge pumps out with them?

I did after a couple of years of canoeing. I never saw or heard of
anyone else in MN using one in a canoe, but I did mostly quiet waters.
I needed it mainly because I don't turn my canoe over when I camp, so
if there's a storm, I had to bail or dump it over.

Now that you mention it, can it rain hard enough to overwhelm a canoe
even if you got a pump? Are there foot pumps?

..
Yes, as well as electric ones. I've seen both types outfitted in kayaks.
But both do require modifications to the boat itself, ie: a port cut in the
hull for water outtake.

The foot pump requires being mounted on a bulkhead (plastic boats may not be
suitable) so that it has a rigid surface to apply foot pressure to, don't
know if there is any way to mount one in a canoe though, maybe against a
forward floatation chamber? Or maybe mounted on the floor, as canoeists are
sitting in an upright postion.

http://www.seakayakermag.com/2003/03Feb/pump02.htm

Electric (submersible) may be a better option as there doesn't seem to be as
much modification to the boat needed (especially if you don't have a
bulkhead or anything similar):

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...0001/168/75/11

(or: http://tinyurl.com/y462k7 )

Considering how much more water a canoe can hold as compared to a sea kayak
with stern and bow watertight compartments, you probably will want something
with a bit more pumping power then the cylindric handheld type most kayakers
use.

Walt November 14th 06 06:04 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

donquijote1954 wrote:

Now that you mention it, can it rain hard enough to overwhelm a canoe
even if you got a pump?

A heavy rainstorm is an inch of two. Do the math.

Are there foot pumps?

Yes.

//Walt

donquijote1954 November 14th 06 06:19 PM

How about this anchor?

Walt wrote:
BTW, you should probably have a throw line that's 100' long and floats.
I'd invest in this long before spending money on an anchor.

//Walt

Hey, I already got a poly rope that floats (but bought it for another
reason: the thing to roll it up on). Now what? ;)

Cyli November 15th 06 10:28 AM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:04:38 -0500, Walt
wrote:

donquijote1954 wrote:

Now that you mention it, can it rain hard enough to overwhelm a canoe
even if you got a pump?

A heavy rainstorm is an inch of two. Do the math.

Are there foot pumps?

Yes.

Foot pump was what I had. Never fastened it down, just pumped. If
there was a lot in the canoe, I bailed until it was lower, dumped it
(as I had it beached during heavy rains and was in my tent, sleeping.)
a bit and then pumped.

Cyli November 15th 06 10:32 AM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

On 14 Nov 2006 08:38:55 -0800, "donquijote1954"
wrote:

Don Freeman wrote:
After you turn it upright and climb in, you can splash out a lot of the
water with your paddle and paddle that boat into shore (you can still
paddle a swamped boat). No need to leave it.

Do canoeists not bring bilge pumps out with them?

True. But will it work when the canoe is fully flooded and perhaps more
waves are splashing on it?

No. I'd be bailing with one of my gallon water bottles that I carry
empty for possible ballast and would generally had a cut down one
around. If it hadn't floated off, when I'd have to cut down one of the
ones I kept tied. Gallon bailing would be way faster than my foot
pump. I'd then be paddling, unless the wind was against, in which
case those ballast bottles would become a drift anchor right away.

I guess I got to try to technique too when I
get the pump.

Before I had a sit on top only so I must get acquainted with sit ins.

Start slowly?

donquijote1954 November 15th 06 06:22 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

wrote:

Don Freeman wrote:
After you turn it upright and climb in, you can splash out a lot of the
water with your paddle and paddle that boat into shore (you can still
paddle a swamped boat). No need to leave it.

Do canoeists not bring bilge pumps out with them?

True. But will it work when the canoe is fully flooded and perhaps more
waves are splashing on it?

No. I'd be bailing with one of my gallon water bottles that I carry
empty for possible ballast and would generally had a cut down one
around. If it hadn't floated off, when I'd have to cut down one of the
ones I kept tied. Gallon bailing would be way faster than my foot
pump. I'd then be paddling, unless the wind was against, in which
case those ballast bottles would become a drift anchor right away.

You mean to scoop water out? But didn't get the last part about ballast
bottles.

I guess I got to try to technique too when I
get the pump.

Before I had a sit on top only so I must get acquainted with sit ins.

Start slowly?

Yep. I just love it for different conditions than SOTs. Plenty of
storage, super comfortable (having back support) and stylish. Only when
mildly windy though.

It's the Mad River Canoe Adventure 14. It even has a lip to put a skirt
around but the size is humongous, and haven't found one so far.
However, I haven't contacted the manufacturer. If I should bother to
get one.

Cyli November 16th 06 08:38 AM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

On 15 Nov 2006 10:22:47 -0800, "donquijote1954"
wrote:

You mean to scoop water out? But didn't get the last part about ballast
bottles.

Since at least half my canoeing is downstream (more if I can talk
someone into a shuttle), if I put more weight in the canoe, it sinks
farther down into the river and the current takes it better. This is
a very good thing when your favorite river runs to the south and the
wind comes from the south and you're headed south.

So when the wind is against by enough to make the paddling hard, I
pull up on shore, fill up with water the bunch of old plastic milk
jugs I keep tied together in the bow, cap them up and the bow lowers,
offering less wind resistance and more current pull. Ballast at about
10 pounds per jug. Easily dumped when I land.

When it's really bad, it's hot out, and I want a swim anyway, I get
out and let my body in deeper current pull the canoe along behind me.
I am aware I could get hurt that way, btw. I know there's junk in
there, like dead sunken trees. I stay in the boat channel where it's
almost entirely safe. I don't do it in backwaters where things can
get really ugly on top of the water and worse under.

Naturally, I leave them empty when going upstream with a south wind.

But, filled and hung from a rope from the stern, they make a good
drogue when I don't want to go anywhere quickly. Especially if I'm
going downstream and there's a strong north wind behind me. But
that's so rare that I can only recall about 3 occasions. More often
just because I want to do a slow float and enjoy. Sometimes they're an
anchor, if the water is shallow and I want to stop.

And I do know about turning the canoe around and paddling from the bow
seat facing the stern, which is then leading. I had to explain it at
least once to a ranger who thought I'd put my stickers on the wrong
end of the canoe. A wonderful piece of advice I got on one of these
paddling forums.

donquijote1954 November 16th 06 06:54 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

wrote:

You mean to scoop water out? But didn't get the last part about ballast
bottles.

Since at least half my canoeing is downstream (more if I can talk
someone into a shuttle), if I put more weight in the canoe, it sinks
farther down into the river and the current takes it better. This is
a very good thing when your favorite river runs to the south and the
wind comes from the south and you're headed south.

Thank you. Though I don't have a river and I do have strong currents,
and would have thought the opposite, that I should want to the bow to
raise because of the waves, but then the wind gets it so... I don't
know now.

Cyli November 17th 06 06:12 AM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

wrote:

You mean to scoop water out? But didn't get the last part about ballast
bottles.

Since at least half my canoeing is downstream (more if I can talk
someone into a shuttle), if I put more weight in the canoe, it sinks
farther down into the river and the current takes it better. This is
a very good thing when your favorite river runs to the south and the
wind comes from the south and you're headed south.

Thank you. Though I don't have a river and I do have strong currents,
and would have thought the opposite, that I should want to the bow to
raise because of the waves, but then the wind gets it so... I don't
know now.

Never fought a wind that hard with current going my way and wind
against. I suspect it'd be a day I'd either never take off to paddle
and either drive home from the putin or, if already on the river, I'd
stay in my tent until the wind went down. Waves high enough to come
over the bow are no place / time to for people like me to paddle. For
one thing, all it takes is a bit of a turn to have the side on to the
wind and it's an oopsy over dump situation. I keep my stuff mostly
tied down, but getting a swamped canoe and gear to shore in ugly
weather isn't my thing.

donquijote1954 November 17th 06 04:16 PM

Heavy anchor for canoe?

Cyli wrote:
Thank you. Though I don't have a river and I do have strong currents,
and would have thought the opposite, that I should want to the bow to
raise because of the waves, but then the wind gets it so... I don't
know now.

Never fought a wind that hard with current going my way and wind
against. I suspect it'd be a day I'd either never take off to paddle
and either drive home from the putin or, if already on the river, I'd
stay in my tent until the wind went down. Waves high enough to come
over the bow are no place / time to for people like me to paddle. For
one thing, all it takes is a bit of a turn to have the side on to the
wind and it's an oopsy over dump situation. I keep my stuff mostly
tied down, but getting a swamped canoe and gear to shore in ugly
weather isn't my thing.
--

It's a likely scenario in which I go out in a fine day, and come back
the next day when is windy like hell. Be ready to spend a few days out