posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Dave Allured

Default White River trip, May 26-29

********,

Yes we finished that trip. I do not recall the details, but it was
probably a good trip. Did you notice that I posted that message 5-1/2
years ago, in the year 2000?

I have led trips several times on that section of the White River. It
is usually a very nice fla****er trip. Allow 15 to 30 miles per day,
depending on your preferred paddling speed and the flow speed of the
river. The river is best run in May and June when the flow is between
1500 and 5000 cfs. Go to the USGS flow website for Utah, and find the
historical daily flow data for the White River at the Watson gauge.

Our take out was the BLM river access point west of Bonanza, just before
the Indian reservation. Some people call this place "Gas Well". It is
difficult to find out in the desert, but the BLM has put up new signs
recently.

Yes there is a class II rapid a few miles upstream from Bonanza. There
are also a couple of class I+ rock gardens where you need to be careful.

There is a possibility that some people in RMCC will run the White River
in May 2006. You might like to join RMCC for $20 for one year, and come
on that trip or another one like it.

--Dave A.
President
Rocky Mountain Canoe Club
http://www.rockymountaincanoeclub.org

wrote on 2005-dec-30 via Google Groups:

Dave,

Did you complete the trip? How was it? Where did you take out?
Indeed class I with one class II?

Dave Allured wrote on 2000-may-12 in news:rec.boats.paddle.touring :

I'm canoeing the White River from Rangely, Colorado, west into Utah. 70
miles, Class I, one portageable class II rapid. Novice rating. Desert
scenery, lots of sweepers. RMCC club trip. Please e-mail if
interested.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Dave Allured

somebody wrote:

And another q. Do you know what the river is like in August? Yes, I
can imagine, low flow, getting stuck on sand bars, I've done the Green
at 1200 CFS in October. Any more to it, or is this it?

The White can be pretty stinkin' low in August. It varies year by year,
and for late summer it can't be reliably forecast more than a couple
months in advance. It does not have a particularly large or high
watershed.

Also, the lower White can be extremly buggy in mid-summer. Lots of
skeeters, and nasty horseflies. I don't know if they slack off in
August. The last time I ran in early July, I swore it would be the last
time. IMO this river is at its best in May, when you are still at good
risk of getting snowed on too. ;-)

HTH.

--Dave