BoatBanter.com

-   Touring (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/)
-   -   Help with dents (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/46134-help-dents.html)

Tony July 12th 05 06:59 PM

Help with dents

I have a kayak with two indentations. They are from the pressure of the two
supports on the wooden rack where they were stored. Someone turned them over
at the beginning of last Fall and the pressure from the added weight of the
rain caused the indents.
I have left it sit upside down in the sun hoping the would pop out. No
luck.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Brian Nystrom July 13th 05 12:43 AM

Tony wrote:
I have a kayak with two indentations. They are from the pressure of the two
supports on the wooden rack where they were stored. Someone turned them over
at the beginning of last Fall and the pressure from the added weight of the
rain caused the indents.
I have left it sit upside down in the sun hoping the would pop out. No
luck.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Try heating them with worklights or very carefully with a heat gun.

[email protected] July 13th 05 02:03 AM

Further to that put gentle preasure on them and squeeze them into
place, let them cool and with some luck you should be fine.

[email protected] July 13th 05 02:13 AM

Sorry, That was me. One of my kids left her account up and I simply
typed and sent.
Brian has it about right if anything is going to work for a localized
dent but you may have o remind the plastic where it should be.
Alex

Gary S. July 15th 05 03:07 AM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:15:21 -0400, Dan Koretz
wrote:

If you don't have a heat gun, I'd start with a simple hairdryer. It
might be enough.

Yes, start with lesser heat and work up. Too little heat just wastes
your time. Too much means shopping.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Patrick, Whit July 15th 05 10:26 PM

wrote:

If you don't have a heat gun, I'd start with a simple hairdryer. It
might be enough.

Support the boat on foam blocks from a roof carrier. Fill the boat (or
compartment where the dent(s) is with water until the water covers the dent
by at least two inches... More is better.

Cover the boat with black plastic and allow the water to warm up to at least
air temperature.

Use a high power hair dryer or a heat gun (on low power and used with great
care) to warm the exterior of the hull beginning in the center of the dent.

The weight of the water will gently press the dents out of the hull, and if
the hull isn't overheated the water will provide an even reshaping.