Paddles

Default Wanted: Lightweight Kayak Trailer

I am looking for a good, used lightweight trailer for hauling up to 4 18
foot kayaks. The style with the motorcycle wheels (like Portage Pal or
Sports Rig) is what I want.

I am in Oregon.

get rid of the "nospam"

Bub

You might want to check this out
http://www.kayakplace.com/gearboat/trailer.htm
I put together something similar. If you want info let me know thru the
group here
Bob

"John Weiss" wrote in message
Try trailex.com

"Paddles" wrote...
I am looking for a good, used lightweight trailer for hauling up to 4 18
foot kayaks. The style with the motorcycle wheels (like Portage Pal or
Sports Rig) is what I want.

I am in Oregon.

Keenan & Julie

I'm guessing he's talking about something more like this:

http://tinyurl.com/83n7f

"Bub" wrote in message
You might want to check this out
http://www.kayakplace.com/gearboat/trailer.htm
I put together something similar. If you want info let me know thru the
group here
Bob

"John Weiss" wrote in message
Try trailex.com

"Paddles" wrote...
I am looking for a good, used lightweight trailer for hauling up to 4 18
foot kayaks. The style with the motorcycle wheels (like Portage Pal or
Sports Rig) is what I want.

I am in Oregon.

Tor Arne Benjaminsen

Keenan & Julie wrote:
I'm guessing he's talking about something more like this:

http://tinyurl.com/83n7f

Hehe, I'd like to see someone balance up to four 18 feet kayaks on that
thing... ;-)

--
Proper prior planning prevents **** poor performance.
torarnb ætt stud dått ntnu dått no

Peter

Keenan & Julie wrote:

I'm guessing he's talking about something more like this:

http://tinyurl.com/83n7f

Here's what I use as a lightweight kayak trailer:
http://home.comcast.net/~prathman/P2290004.JPG

It's only good for trailering one kayak though.

"Bub" wrote in message

You might want to check this out
http://www.kayakplace.com/gearboat/trailer.htm
I put together something similar. If you want info let me know thru the
group here
Bob

"John Weiss" wrote in message

Try trailex.com

"Paddles" wrote...

I am looking for a good, used lightweight trailer for hauling up to 4 18
foot kayaks. The style with the motorcycle wheels (like Portage Pal or
Sports Rig) is what I want.

I am in Oregon.

Tor Arne Benjaminsen

Peter wrote:
Here's what I use as a lightweight kayak trailer:
http://home.comcast.net/~prathman/P2290004.JPG

It's only good for trailering one kayak though.

NICE! :-o

Seriously, I'm impressed! Is that a canoe cart you're using? How do you
fasten the kayak to the seat?

I've been joking about making a bike-trailer for my kayak, but seeing your
patent really blew my mind! I'm going to make one now! :-)

--
Proper prior planning prevents **** poor performance.
torarnb ætt stud dått ntnu dått no
Keenan & Julie

"Tor Arne Benjaminsen" wrote in
message ...
Keenan & Julie wrote:
I'm guessing he's talking about something more like this:

http://tinyurl.com/83n7f

Hehe, I'd like to see someone balance up to four 18 feet kayaks on that
thing... ;-)

Oh yeah! Good point! I didn't realize we were talking about multiple boats
:-)

Keenan & Julie

Peter wrote:
Here's what I use as a lightweight kayak trailer:
http://home.comcast.net/~prathman/P2290004.JPG

It's only good for trailering one kayak though.

NICE! :-o

Seriously, I'm impressed! Is that a canoe cart you're using? How do you
fasten the kayak to the seat?

I've been joking about making a bike-trailer for my kayak, but seeing your
patent really blew my mind! I'm going to make one now! :-)

Yeah, that's pretty neat. What's it like going down a hill?

Peter

Tor Arne Benjaminsen wrote:

Peter wrote:

Here's what I use as a lightweight kayak trailer:
http://home.comcast.net/~prathman/P2290004.JPG

It's only good for trailering one kayak though.

NICE! :-o

Seriously, I'm impressed! Is that a canoe cart you're using?

Yes, it was sold by LLBean as a "Swedish Canoe Cart". I don't think
LLBean carries them anymore but there are several similar designs being
made.

How do you
fasten the kayak to the seat?

I just tie the bow line of the kayak to the seat rails. Note that this
simple arrangement only works if there's sufficient clearance between
the bow and the bike tire. The folding bike with 20" wheels shown in
the picture has plenty of clearance with most boats that have a bow line
attachment right at the front. But using my other bike with 700c wheels
it only works with my longer double kayak.