BoatBanter.com

-   Touring (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/)
-   -   35" Tall Backpack with 60" Circumference? (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/39102-35%22-tall-backpack-60%22-circumference.html)

[email protected] May 11th 05 02:47 AM

35" Tall Backpack with 60" Circumference?

Does anyone know of a giant backpack for my inflatable Sea Eagle
PaddleSki 435 catamaran-kayak?

It has to be 35" tall and 60" in circumference (don't know how that
translates into cubic whatever).

Thanks!!

Eric Johnson May 11th 05 02:36 PM

Unless my math is off your talking about a 164,215.75cc back pack....
COnsidering that my monster duffle (REI Beast Bag) is less than a 10th
of that, I don't think one exists.

Gary S. May 11th 05 03:34 PM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 13:36:24 GMT, Eric Johnson

Does anyone know of a giant backpack for my inflatable Sea Eagle
PaddleSki 435 catamaran-kayak?

It has to be 35" tall and 60" in circumference (don't know how that
translates into cubic whatever).

Unless my math is off your talking about a 164,215.75cc back pack....
COnsidering that my monster duffle (REI Beast Bag) is less than a 10th
of that, I don't think one exists.

You may wish to check your math.

I got ~10032 cubic inches. Note that he gives circumference, not
diameter. Take that to diameter by dividing by PI, then divide by two.
Pi*R^2 gives you area, times the height for the volume. The formula
could also be reduced.

Large, but not completely out of scale with various expedition
backpacks in the 8-9000 ci range, a few even larger.

A portage bag made for canoeing might be a better choice as they come
a bit larger, and more forgiving of specific size requirements. Not
sure what sort of frame or other hard pieces are restricting the
dimensions.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Bill Tuthill May 11th 05 06:00 PM

In rec.boats.paddle wrote:

Does anyone know of a giant backpack for my inflatable Sea Eagle
PaddleSki 435 catamaran-kayak?
It has to be 35" tall and 60" in circumference (don't know how
that translates into cubic whatever).

Most drybags with pack-straps are not that large diameter.

I'm sure you could hook it to Paragon Pack, available from
NRSweb.com for $50.

[email protected] May 11th 05 09:42 PM

Bill Tuthill wrote:

Most drybags with pack-straps are not that large diameter.

I'm sure you could hook it to Paragon Pack, available from
NRSweb.com for $50.

Thanks for the recommendation, but unfortunately I need 60" in
circumference and the PP does only 50! =(

Gary S. May 11th 05 11:30 PM

On 11 May 2005 13:45:44 -0700, wrote:

Do you think the 7,000 cu. in. Granite Gear Cirrus Access FZ will do?

Expensive, though, just to tote a boat! =\

Gary S. wrote:

SNIP

Large, but not completely out of scale with various expedition
backpacks in the 8-9000 ci range, a few even larger.

A portage bag made for canoeing might be a better choice as they come
a bit larger, and more forgiving of specific size requirements. Not
sure what sort of frame or other hard pieces are restricting the
dimensions.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--

Well, you do want to be careful with backpack specs.

Some list the "full" volume, some list the "extended" volume, which
will not carry as well (there can be 30% difference here alone).

Also, some will include every single pocket stuffed to bursting in
their total volume, but pockets will do you no good.

For off-the-shelf backpacks, see Backpacker mag's annual Gear Guide
issue, officially March but kept on for much longer in many outdoor
shops. Also their online
www.gearfinder.com where you can sort by
specs.

Are you backpacking with this, or is the backpack a way to get it
around airports and such, with more limited usage?

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

pmhilton May 12th 05 12:27 AM

Bill Tuthill wrote:

nce (don't know how
that translates into cubic whatever).

Rounded off it's 10,000 cubic inches - large but possibly not
insurmmountable.

Most drybags with pack-straps are not that large diameter.

That's only 19" diameter. Surely there's a dry bag / duffel bag
adaptable to harness that would acommodate his load.

But, then, since he's lugging a BOAT, why not just a harness that fits
the folded kayak? Does it really need to be enclosed? Isn't "contained"
enough?

Pete H

--
Freedom is participation in power.
Cicero

pmhilton May 12th 05 12:32 AM

Gary S. wrote:

On Wed, 11 May 2005 13:36:24 GMT, Eric Johnson

Does anyone know of a giant backpack for my inflatable Sea Eagle
PaddleSki 435 catamaran-kayak?

It has to be 35" tall and 60" in circumference (don't know how that
translates into cubic whatever).

Unless my math is off your talking about a 164,215.75cc back pack....
COnsidering that my monster duffle (REI Beast Bag) is less than a 10th
of that, I don't think one exists.

You may wish to check your math.

I got ~10032 cubic inches.

Your math is close enough for the present problem.

But does it really need to be contained? In a sack of some sort? Why not
a harness and or mesh containement w/ shoulder straps or a tumpline?
After all, it's a boat, not clothing, food or a sleeping bag.

Pete H

Bill Tuthill May 12th 05 12:57 AM

In rec.boats.paddle wrote:

I'm sure you could hook it to Paragon Pack, available from
NRSweb.com for $50.

Thanks for the recommendation, but unfortunately I need 60" in
circumference and the PP does only 50! =(

Baloney, you can hook anything to a Paragon Pack. It's open.
Don't use the Pelican box attachment, just buy some long straps
of your own. A friend of mine carries his Sotak kayak sideways,
and that's about 100" in circumference, the way he carries it.