BoatBanter.com

-   Touring (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/)
-   -   Qajaq. Italian kayaks. (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/26719-qajaq-italian-kayaks.html)

wenley December 31st 04 02:05 AM

Qajaq. Italian kayaks.

Has anyone an informed opinion on the italian brand "Qajaq"? Four
members of my club in Spain recently bought a Seawolf, two Vikings and
a Island of Sardinia. They are all of Greenland style. I have not yet
paddled in them but I can tell you that the quality of the fiberglass
work is excellent and their tracking and secondary stability seem good
indeed.

Anyhow, I have squeezed the internet and the information is very
scarce (http://www.qajaq.it/en/index.htm). Have any of you tried them?
I shall be glad to receive any tips.

Thank you,

Wenley.

[email protected] January 1st 05 11:42 PM

I paddled one on Elba a couple of years ago. Very good tracking, turned
OK with some edge. I don't know what model I was in, but it was long
and narrow, like 18'v21" (~5.5mx53cm?) Secondary stability was fint,
but there was very little primary. Sitting in fairly calm water with
just a couple of inches of chop, if I laid the paddle across the
cockpit rim and let go of it, it would rattle like a snare drummer. It
was the first boat I had rolled with a Greenland paddle and i didn't
miss any practice rolls (Pawlata, sweep, and C-to-C), so it seems to
roll pretty easily. I honestly don't remember much about the
construction, except it seemed solidly built.