BoatBanter.com

-   Touring (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/)
-   -   Fast Sea Kayak (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/24916-fast-sea-kayak.html)

Gene Cosloy November 7th 04 06:33 PM

Fast Sea Kayak

Well now that the election is over I'm starting to obsess over another
boat for the spring. It will be a fast sea kayak with medium amount of
stabilty so I can easily edge it to turn or correct course. My
candidates are the Valley Acuanaut, Eddyline Falcon 18, NDK
Greenlander Pro. Boats that I've liked for speed but were too stiff to
edge are the Caribou and the new Impex Outer Island which seems
incredibly fast but also incredibly stable. Other candidates which are
easy to edge but perhaps not as fast are the Gulfstream and Explorer.
Just like to know if there are others I should condider and what
people think of boats above that they may own and have personal
experience with. I currently own a Chatham 16 which excels in all
categories I can think of save speed. Oh yes stability alone doesn't
necessarily translate into difficulty to edge. Witness the Chatham 16
which can be easily turned with only a modicum of heel. Good thing too
because otherwise the boat has very strong stability.

Thanks,
Gene

Michael Daly November 7th 04 07:00 PM

On 7-Nov-2004, (Gene Cosloy) wrote:

My
candidates are the Valley Acuanaut, Eddyline Falcon 18, NDK
Greenlander Pro.

QCC 700, Superior Kayaks Hawk, Wilderness Systems Arctic Hawk,
Kayak Sport Artisan Millenium, Seaward Endeavour. All worth
checking out for speed.

Mike

Blankibr November 8th 04 01:12 AM

Epic 18 and Seda Glider as well are fast boats that I think you should look at.

Wright November 8th 04 03:06 AM

Another one you might add to your list is the P&H Bahiya.

Eric Nyre November 9th 04 03:39 PM

The Epic 18 and Seda Glider will be too stiff for him to turn (see his
comments about the Caribou). He's not looking for a fast boat, as much
as something faster than what he is paddling but will still do a quick
lean turn.

The NorthWest boats, specifically the Pursuit and Discover have decent
speed and a good lean turn. The Epic 18, Seda Glider and CD Extreme
will all walk away from the boats you have listed, but don't turn as
fast.

Blankibr November 9th 04 09:44 PM

I will agree the Seda Glider doesn't lean turn well, but I find the Epic 18
does.

Thanks for clarifying the original post.

John Fereira November 9th 04 09:59 PM

"Michael Daly" wrote in news:78qdncJ4n-NT7RPcRVn-
:

On 7-Nov-2004,
(Gene Cosloy) wrote:

My
candidates are the Valley Acuanaut, Eddyline Falcon 18, NDK
Greenlander Pro.

QCC 700, Superior Kayaks Hawk, Wilderness Systems Arctic Hawk,
Kayak Sport Artisan Millenium, Seaward Endeavour. All worth
checking out for speed.

The Endeavor in particular turns really well but is also quite fast. It
might also be worth mentioning that a Superior Kayak Hawk, if ordered today,
won't be available until 2007 (according to their web site) and cost $5700.

John Fereira November 9th 04 10:02 PM

(Gene Cosloy) wrote in
om:

Well now that the election is over I'm starting to obsess over another
boat for the spring. It will be a fast sea kayak with medium amount of
stabilty so I can easily edge it to turn or correct course. My
candidates are the Valley Acuanaut, Eddyline Falcon 18, NDK
Greenlander Pro. Boats that I've liked for speed but were too stiff to
edge are the Caribou and the new Impex Outer Island which seems
incredibly fast but also incredibly stable.

I admit that I haven't paddled the new Impex version of the Outer Island but
I've been paddling a cedar strip version I built for a couple of years.
Yes, it has good initial stability for a 21" wide boat, but it also edges
and turns quite well for a 17'10" long boat.

Does this look like it's hard to edge?

http://caddis.mannlib.cornell.edu/pa...nd/launch7.gif

Gene Cosloy November 10th 04 06:06 PM

John Fereira wrote in message ...

I admit that I haven't paddled the new Impex version of the Outer Island but
I've been paddling a cedar strip version I built for a couple of years.
Yes, it has good initial stability for a 21" wide boat, but it also edges
and turns quite well for a 17'10" long boat.

Does this look like it's hard to edge?

http://caddis.mannlib.cornell.edu/pa...nd/launch7.gif

Well, no it certainly does not. On the other hand my experience with
the fiberglass version was decidedly different. I want a boat, the
stability of which allows me to place it on balance edge with J-leans
alone. some of the boats are so stiff they may require upper body
leans and strong bracing which is not for me. I want to lift my knee
and get the boat over as far as I want. I can't do that with a lot of
so called strongly stabile boats

Thanks,
Gene

Michael Daly November 10th 04 07:21 PM

On 10-Nov-2004, (Gene Cosloy) wrote:

I want a boat, the
stability of which allows me to place it on balance edge with J-leans
alone. some of the boats are so stiff they may require upper body
leans and strong bracing which is not for me. I want to lift my knee
and get the boat over as far as I want. I can't do that with a lot of
so called strongly stabile boats

While not guaranteed, in general hard chine kayaks tend to have the
characteristics you want. Round chines tend to have the secondary
kick in early and are harder to edge. Hard chines tend to roll quickly
and then hit a solid secondary.

Mike