BoatBanter.com

-   Touring (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/)
-   -   Chatham (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/14561-chatham.html)

two_k2003 June 10th 04 08:43 PM

Chatham

Hi All -

Anyone know if Necky plans on putting out a Chatham 17?
I know they have a 16 (only 20 inches wide), and an
18 (which might be a wee bit longer than what I wanted).

I heard the 16 was snug (I'm 6', 220lbs)
Also does anyone know the max capacity for either?

Thanks,
TwoK

Dan OConnell June 11th 04 12:20 AM

Chatham

I just took delivery of a plastic Chatham (16) today. In my research...I
found that Necky doesn't list capacity for any boats. Yes, the Chatham is
snug (I'm 5'10" @185lbs) but it's more about how you carry your size (think
"Cinderella"). The 17 will be out later this summer..but I heard it's still
gonna have a 15" cockpit.. They were retro fitting wider seat hangers for
$15 right from Necky...and I believe they were going to use the wider ones
once the old stock was sold. You also have the option of not using the hip
pads...I'm leaving mine out until I swim upside down in the thing a few
times. BTW..Your going to love the compliments from everyone on it's
looks, no matter which one you end up with...it's one stunning looking
boat!!

Hope this helped
Dano
om...

Don Freeman June 11th 04 04:02 AM

Chatham

Jon C wrote:
The Chatham 18 is only a foot longer than the Chatham 16.

Damn that new math.

Gene Cosloy June 11th 04 06:59 PM

Chatham

(two_k2003) wrote in message . com...
Hi All -

Anyone know if Necky plans on putting out a Chatham 17?
I know they have a 16 (only 20 inches wide), and an
18 (which might be a wee bit longer than what I wanted).

I heard the 16 was snug (I'm 6', 220lbs)
Also does anyone know the max capacity for either?

Thanks,
TwoK

Necky's plans for a 17 apparently are for a low volume boat.
(according to Alan Edson, one of the designer's of the material ACC
used to build the boats.) The 16 which is really 16.5" long has a very
narrow width cockpit combing. The 18 which is closer to 17'7" has the
same specification for cockpit but it is in fact larger. by the way
the 16 is 22" beam and the 18 is 20" beam. If you don't fit in the 16,
you might in the 18. The cockpits of both have considerably more room,
it's just the combing that is so restrictive in the 16. I paddled both
and thought the 16 was wonderful, but had trouble getting out of the
combing. I'm 5'10" and 175lbs.

Gene