BoatBanter.com

-   Touring (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/)
-   -   All Around Kayak for beginner? (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/14556-all-around-kayak-beginner.html)

Double_J June 8th 04 05:07 PM

All Around Kayak for beginner?

I should know better to ask such a broad question, but is there any
concensus regarding which brand/make of kayak is a good starter boat with
weekend touring ability?

Any must have design options I should consider?

jdj

Jon C June 8th 04 07:58 PM

All Around Kayak for beginner?

After having just taken one out this weekend on a 20-something mile paddle,
I'm a big fan of the Wilderness Systems Cape Lookout series. Lots of
stability, good enough speed to keep up, well mannered even with a couple
feet of chop. The 155 seems to have plenty of space for a weekend, and the
standard outfitting is super comfy. The Dagger Charleston is a nice one,
too.

tom June 8th 04 10:33 PM

All Around Kayak for beginner?

i agree on the WILDERNESS SYSTEMS ,but try the cape horn also ive had mine
for a year now , and i love it .
just my 2 cents worth.

Ki Ayker June 10th 04 01:26 AM

All Around Kayak for beginner?

I should know better to ask such a broad question, but is there any
concensus regarding which brand/make of kayak is a good starter boat with
weekend touring ability?

While everyone has their preferences, pretty much any brand/make available
today will suffice.

Any must have design options I should consider?

It should float :-)

Scott
So.Cal.