John R Weiss

Default Canoe & Kayak magazine?

I recently got a mail solicitation from them for a subscription.

Is anyone here familiar with the magazine? Good/bad/indifferent?

Matt Langenfeld

Lots of good info in there magazine.

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

Richard Ferguson

I used to subscribe to Paddler, I prefer Canoe and Kayak.

Richard

John R Weiss wrote:

I recently got a mail solicitation from them for a subscription.

Is anyone here familiar with the magazine? Good/bad/indifferent?

MikeSoja

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:59:44 GMT, "John R Weiss"
posted:

I recently got a mail solicitation from them for a subscription.

Is anyone here familiar with the magazine? Good/bad/indifferent?

It's not bad. Sorta indifferent? I read it for a year, but let it
drop for a year. I'm thinking of picking it up again.

I like "Sea Kayaker" better, though it's not as slick, not quite as
polished in some ways, but with good info and reviews. They need to
put out 12 issues instead of six.

Mike Soja

Lloyd Bowles

"MikeSoja" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:59:44 GMT, "John R Weiss"
posted:

I recently got a mail solicitation from them for a subscription.

Is anyone here familiar with the magazine? Good/bad/indifferent?

It's not bad. Sorta indifferent? I read it for a year, but let it
drop for a year. I'm thinking of picking it up again.

"Sorta indifferent" is a good description. When I had a subscription, they
seem to be afraid to say anything negative about any canoe in a review.

John R Weiss

"MikeSoja" wrote...

It's not bad. Sorta indifferent? I read it for a year, but let it
drop for a year. I'm thinking of picking it up again.

I like "Sea Kayaker" better, though it's not as slick, not quite as
polished in some ways, but with good info and reviews. They need to
put out 12 issues instead of six.

Thanks!

I'm a kayaker, not a canoer (I also have an Adirondack Guideboat, but that is
definitely NOT A CANOE! ;-)

How much of the mag is normally given to kayaks vs canoes? Given my kayak
prejudice, I don't want to pay for a magazine that is 75% canoe-oriented...

John Fereira

"John R Weiss" wrote in

"MikeSoja" wrote...

It's not bad. Sorta indifferent? I read it for a year, but let it
drop for a year. I'm thinking of picking it up again.

I like "Sea Kayaker" better, though it's not as slick, not quite as
polished in some ways, but with good info and reviews. They need to
put out 12 issues instead of six.

Thanks!

I'm a kayaker, not a canoer (I also have an Adirondack Guideboat, but
that is definitely NOT A CANOE! ;-)

How much of the mag is normally given to kayaks vs canoes?

I've subscribed to C&K for about four years and don't recall ever seeing a
bias one way or the other.

Given my
kayak prejudice, I don't want to pay for a magazine that is 75%
canoe-oriented...

If anything there are more kayak specific articles than there are canoe
specific since they cover whitewater and recreational kayaks along with sea
kayaks and canoes. I also subscribe to Seakayaker. I think Seakayaker
tends to get a bit more technical at times but C&K seems to have more trip
location related articles.

Brian Nystrom

John R Weiss wrote:
I recently got a mail solicitation from them for a subscription.

Is anyone here familiar with the magazine? Good/bad/indifferent?

It's a lot like "Bicycling" is for cyclists; that is, it's got a lot of
beginner oriented articles and repeats the same type of stuff ad nauseum
over the years. If you're relatively new to kayaking, you may enjoy it.
I have a subscription, but have no plans to renew it when it expires.

As someone else said, Sea Kayaker is a better mag if that's where your
interest lies. If you're into whitewater, Paddler may be OK, but I find
it to be largely useless. I'd rather have a cheaper ACA membership
without the magazine.

Steven Rowe

In article 4%26c.30174$J05.199130@attbi_s01, "John R Weiss"
writes:

I recently got a mail solicitation from them for a subscription.

been around for 30 years, and i've read it off and on since that time....

i think it's good, i used to sub for a year or two, stop for a year or two,
most bookstores with magazine racks stack it, check it out and see if it
appeals to you. most canoe and kayak shops stock it too

steven rowe
Don't forget to Delete "Unspam" if you wish to e- mail me.

join the FelixTheCat list at www.yahoogroups.com