BoatBanter.com

-   Touring (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/)
-   -   Need adhesive suggestion for minicell (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/14302-need-adhesive-suggestion-minicell.html)

sposter September 29th 03 11:02 PM

Need adhesive suggestion for minicell

What is the latest adhesive to use for outfitting a boat with minicell?
I can't find the Perception glue I used to use.
I was told to use 3M 77 spray contact cement, but I want to brush it on.

--
Scott Poster

Steve Cramer September 30th 03 12:39 AM

sposter wrote:

What is the latest adhesive to use for outfitting a boat with minicell?
I can't find the Perception glue I used to use.
I was told to use 3M 77 spray contact cement, but I want to brush it on.

If it's not structural, e.g., if it's padding, Weldwood contact cement
in the red can works fine, at about 1/20 the price of the boating brands.

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA

Dave Van September 30th 03 03:28 AM

Need adhesive suggestion for minicell

The traditional solvent based weldwood contact adhesive is great for
brushing on and does not cost a lot.

If you were to spray the adhesive, I would go with 3M-80 rather than 77.

Cheers

DV

John R Weiss September 30th 03 05:34 AM

Need adhesive suggestion for minicell

"sposter" wrote...
What is the latest adhesive to use for outfitting a boat with minicell?
I can't find the Perception glue I used to use.
I was told to use 3M 77 spray contact cement, but I want to brush it on.

For my knee braces I just used rubber contact cement in the plain silver can.

akasharkbow October 1st 03 03:28 PM

Need adhesive suggestion for minicell

"sposter" wrote in news:VZ1eb.638492$uu5.101871
@sccrnsc04:

What is the latest adhesive to use for outfitting a boat with minicell?
I can't find the Perception glue I used to use.
I was told to use 3M 77 spray contact cement, but I want to brush it on.

I heard a tip to help increase the life of the glue. After gluing it down
seal the outer edges with a little bit of Aquaseal. It will keep the water
and dirt from getting in and causing the edges to peel up. Makes for a nice
clean finish as well.

Also, there is a reply about contact cement. I wouldn't use that as it gets
brittle over time while the 3M or another product Mondobond stays flexable
a lot longer holding things down better over the long run.

Cheers,

David

Brian Nystrom October 3rd 03 04:14 PM

sposter wrote:

What is the latest adhesive to use for outfitting a boat with minicell?
I can't find the Perception glue I used to use.
I was told to use 3M 77 spray contact cement, but I want to brush it on.

My personal favorite is Weldwood GEL contact cement. Unlike the liquid, it
spreads easily and stays in place. I haven't seen any difference in
performance, but there;s a big difference in convenience.

--
Regards

Brian