BoatBanter.com

-   Touring (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/)
-   -   Anyone know something about the Perception Avatar? (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/14188-anyone-know-something-about-perception-avatar.html)

wondering July 29th 03 06:35 PM

Anyone know something about the Perception Avatar?

A friend and I are looking for our first kayaks and have decided to
buy kevlar boats. We're 6'/155# and 5'-8"/135# respectively.

We've tried a number of Perception, Necky, Seaward and other kayaks.
So far we've liked the Perception Avatar best. But we cannot find any
reviews or comments on this kayak which apparently was first sold in
2003. Anyone have experience with the Avatar or other knowledge of
it? Compare it to the perception Eclipse?

As of July 27,2003, it appears Perception isn't taking any new orders
until October. Anyone know why? Some rumors say they are retooling
for new models and others are that they are just backlogged on glass
boats.

We also liked the quality of the Seaward kayaks, but again, they seem
to be few and far between when it comes to user experiences and
testimonials. Seaward is apparently a quite small company.

LeeG July 30th 03 04:18 AM

Anyone know something about the Perception Avatar?

if you are new to paddling I'd settle on a paddle and pfd and keep
looking although the Seaward Endeavor is nice. The Avatar is
efficient and a good volume for your weights. The Perception Eclipse
is just too big. There are other boats besides the Avatar for the
money and kevlar that are worth looking at. The challenge you'll find
is a boat that isn't big in volume that is still comfortable.

Eric Johnson July 30th 03 07:13 AM

Anyone know something about the Perception Avatar?

The Seaward Endeavor would be a great choice!! Love mine.

John Caldeira July 31st 03 04:39 AM

(wondering) wrote:

A friend and I are looking for our first kayaks and have decided to
buy kevlar boats. We're 6'/155# and 5'-8"/135# respectively.

We've tried a number of Perception, Necky, Seaward and other kayaks.
So far we've liked the Perception Avatar best. But we cannot find any
reviews or comments on this kayak which apparently was first sold in
2003. Anyone have experience with the Avatar or other knowledge of
it? Compare it to the perception Eclipse?

I'd be hesitant to buy the first year of any model of kayak, just in
case the boat has a serious performance problem.

Also, beware that Perception (Wellmark) has a very weak warrantee that
requires you to pay 25% of the recommended retail price, plus
shipping, for a warrantee claim after one year (50% after two years),
even if a manufacturing defect.

I bought a kevlar Perception Shadow two years ago and it developed a
serious "print-through" of the kevlar fabric pattern through the hull
gel coat. It was mostly a cosmetic defect, although I'm sure it also
increased frictional drag. You normally don't see this on a
well-built boat.

John

John Caldeira
Dallas, Texas, USA
http://www.outdoorplace.org/beekeeping

Geoff Jennings July 31st 03 06:27 AM

Anyone know something about the Perception Avatar?

Also, beware that Perception (Wellmark) has a very weak warrantee that
requires you to pay 25% of the recommended retail price, plus
shipping, for a warrantee claim after one year (50% after two years),
even if a manufacturing defect.

Perception is owned by Watermark.

Probably a spellchecker correction.

Geoff

LeeG July 31st 03 12:44 PM

Anyone know something about the Perception Avatar?

One thing you might consider is that the print through is a clue they
aren't loading the kayak up with lots of gel coat. I don't know if
there's a composite Avatar but regarding the plastic one the skeg
loses it's function as the bungie ages and the in cockpit seat back
ratchets are a waste of space/cost as they rust out. Chromed steel on
a sal****er device???