BoatBanter.com

-   Touring (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/)
-   -   FS: Carbon Fiber Paddle (https://www.boatbanter.com/touring/14156-re-fs-carbon-fiber-paddle.html)

John Kuthe July 18th 03 05:42 AM

FS: Carbon Fiber Paddle

PhotoBuff wrote:

I have a Whetstone T-1 Carbon Fiber Paddle for sale. I tis 210 CM and 2 piece. Little use.

If you want a super nice well made light paddle this is it. $190 including shipping.

Ed in Raleigh

$190??!! That's about what they retail for!

I'll give you $100, tops!

:-(

--
John Kuthe,
1st rule of Govt: protect people from Govt

PhotoBuff July 18th 03 02:40 PM

FS: Carbon Fiber Paddle

In article , says...
PhotoBuff wrote:

I have a Whetstone T-1 Carbon Fiber Paddle for sale. I tis 210 CM and 2 piece. Little use.

If you want a super nice well made light paddle this is it. $190 including shipping.

Ed in Raleigh

$190??!! That's about what they retail for!

I'll give you $100, tops!

:-(

No actually I paid $225 plus shipping from them and they are no longer making padles or
anything else. If you want a genuine Whetstone you have to buy a used one.

Brian Nystrom July 19th 03 02:05 PM

FS: Carbon Fiber Paddle

PhotoBuff wrote:

In article , says...
PhotoBuff wrote:

I have a Whetstone T-1 Carbon Fiber Paddle for sale. I tis 210 CM and 2 piece. Little use.

If you want a super nice well made light paddle this is it. $190 including shipping.

Ed in Raleigh

$190??!! That's about what they retail for!

I'll give you $100, tops!

:-(

No actually I paid $225 plus shipping from them and they are no longer making padles or
anything else. If you want a genuine Whetstone you have to buy a used one.

They've dropped their accessory line, but they're still making paddles. As much as I like
Whetstone paddles, they're hardly collecors items that command high prices used.

--
Regards

Brian

Wade Norton July 20th 03 04:54 AM

FS: Carbon Fiber Paddle

Or ONNO paddles... IMHO everybit as good as a Whetstone and very
inexpensive. I have to agree with Brian, you paddle is a good one, but your
price is very near the price of new.

w.

"PhotoBuff" wrote in message
m...
In article , says...

PhotoBuff wrote:

--
Regards

Brian

Not to argue the point but I have tried repeatedly to call and to email

them ...no luck. I
was going to order a new 230 but they are closed as best as I or anyone

else can tell. It is
not a collectors item but it is one superior carbon fiber paddle and it is

worth $190
including the shipping. Check Werner prices ...or Waterstick

PhotoBuff July 20th 03 02:15 PM

FS: Carbon Fiber Paddle

In article 3ooSa.89809$GL4.25037@rwcrnsc53, says...
Or ONNO paddles... IMHO everybit as good as a Whetstone and very
inexpensive. I have to agree with Brian, you paddle is a good one, but your
price is very near the price of new.

w.

I do not think $190 including shipping is unreasonable for a like new paddle that cost $240
including shipping. In case you are not aware, they charge a premimum for custom length and a
210 CM paddle is a custom length to them (or so they charged me anyway). Since mine mine is
substantially like new I have priced it as I see fit. Not to conform to the price police on
here....if you want a new one order one and please let me knoiw if you receive it. Their
phone is disconnected.

Ed in Raleigh

David J. Van den Branden July 20th 03 02:35 PM

FS: Carbon Fiber Paddle

From: PhotoBuff
Newsgroups: rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 09:15:37 -0400
Subject: FS: Carbon Fiber Paddle

In article 3ooSa.89809$GL4.25037@rwcrnsc53, says...
Or ONNO paddles... IMHO everybit as good as a Whetstone and very
inexpensive. I have to agree with Brian, your paddle is a good one, but your
price is very near the price of new.

w.

I do not think $190 including shipping is unreasonable for a like new paddle
that cost $240
including shipping.

It was your choice to pay a premium for shipping. Standard shipping from
Whetstone is $10 not $20. Would you impose that cost on your buyer or would
you allow them to choose a more reasonable shipping method?

Ordering a paddle brand new and sight unseen from an on line retailer is a
leap of faith for most people. Doing so for a used paddle from an
individual who's idea of "like new" may be quite different from that of the
buyer is an even more extreme leap of faith. Since there are new
alternatives out there that may not have existed when you bought your
Whetstone paddle, the market would logically be looking for better value in
a used purchase.

In case you are not aware, they charge a premimum for
custom length and a
210 CM paddle is a custom length to them (or so they charged me anyway).

And to most of the paddlers out here, for a touring paddle, 210 is somewhat
short. Making it not only custom, but somewhat odd. Therefore lowering the
value as it narrows the market considerably.

Their
phone is disconnected.

Their phone is not disconnected. Their answering system still picks up.

Not trying to be a price cop, just pointing out some factors that you may
not have thought of.

DV

John Kuthe July 20th 03 03:42 PM

FS: Carbon Fiber Paddle

[snippage for brevity]
From: PhotoBuff
I do not think $190 including shipping is unreasonable for a like new paddle
that cost $240
including shipping.

Ordering a paddle brand new and sight unseen from an on line retailer is a
leap of faith for most people. Doing so for a used paddle from an
individual who's idea of "like new" may be quite different from that of the
buyer is an even more extreme leap of faith. Since there are new
alternatives out there that may not have existed when you bought your
Whetstone paddle, the market would logically be looking for better value in
a used purchase.

And The Market will be the judge!

Good luck PhotoBuff! If yoo sell it for the asked-for $190,
congratulations!

But I seriously doubt you will. Used gear is always subject to a
depreciation as soon as it's bought by it's orininal first owner from
the manufacturer (NO manufacturer's warranty, for example), and any used
equipment's value is always up for negotiation as to the price. If you
lower your asking price, you will attract more interested potential
buyers. It's just the way The Market works!

At your asking price of $190, you may be sitting on that paddle for a
long time though!

Wade Norton July 20th 03 05:30 PM

FS: Carbon Fiber Paddle

And to most of the paddlers out here, for a touring paddle, 210 is

somewhat
short. Making it not only custom, but somewhat odd. Therefore lowering

the
value as it narrows the market considerably.

Well, if you want to argue, 210 centimeters is not so awfully short
anymore. In the current Sea Kayaker, Greg Barton says "A paddle length
of 200 to 215 cm is best for ...paddlers...5'5" or less. Tall paddlers
should use a length of 210 to 225 cm...Paddles longer than 230 cm should
never be used." This puts PhotoBuff's 210 right in the middle of the
recommended range, suitable for short and tall paddlers both.

I have to defend photobuff on this matter. I'm not aware of any paddle
company that makes 210 paddles for stock. As an example, my wife uses a 210
cm paddle and we had to special order it from Epic. While on the other
hand, it's simple to walk into a paddle shop and buy the same Epic paddle in
lengths of 215, 220, 230 cm.

Also, I used a 230 cm paddle in a recreational boat I had and it was fine
(wide boat at 25" width). When paddling my NDK Posedein (22") 230 is way
too big. I currently use 215.

Wade

PhotoBuff July 20th 03 06:18 PM

FS: Carbon Fiber Paddle

The market also allows for offers at less than asking price and seems people would prefer to
criticize my pricing than make a VALID offer. The price is $190 including shipping. Offers
considered.

PhotoBuff July 20th 03 06:19 PM

FS: Carbon Fiber Paddle

In article , says...

From: John Kuthe

At your asking price of $190, you may be sitting on that paddle for a
long time though!

As an example, a brand spankin' new -with the tags still on it- all
fiberglass 230cm (arguabley the most popular size) Werner Camano paddle that
retails on line at REI for $240 recently sold on eBay for $177.50

Calculate shipping into that amount and see what you come up with please. I think it is very
close to my asking price.

Ed