BoatBanter.com

-   Tall Ships (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ships/)
-   -   What is this "pin" thing called? (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ships/20531-what-%22pin%22-thing-called.html)

Schoonertrash November 1st 03 10:02 PM

What is this "pin" thing called?

Mine was from Alabama. The commands we "Chunk 'nade . .. .CHUNK!"
Damn that was a lot of years ago . . ..

Scott November 11th 03 08:00 PM

What is this "pin" thing called?

The belaying pin-system was an early type of quick-release cleating system.
The pins fit into holes in the fife-rail that are called "bung-holes"!

"Christopher Horner" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 01:30:00 -0500, Mike1
wrote:

In old "pirate" movies, you'll sometimes see, during a fight, a man pull
out a special-shaped wooden pin or club and use it as a weapon.
Sometimes he has one or more on him, but often he yanks it from a
mounting bracket on the rail of the ship (where there appear to be many
of things, for, I presume, tying down lines to tack the sails).

Question: Do these pins have a specific name?

If the first pic on this ( http://www.tallshipbounty.org/belay.html ) page
is what you are talking about then, you're thinking of belaying pins, used
either for lashing/belaying running rigging, or motivating the crew.

--
Christopher Horner

Terence Lynock MSW November 14th 03 12:32 AM

What is this "pin" thing called?

The message
from Dale Farmer contains these words:

I don't know. The only thing I was looking at was the grenade and
the ground
I was walking over.

--Dale

If you really want to make your instructor move fast hold the lever down
tight,pull the pin and throw the pin away.........

regards, Terry