BoatBanter.com

-   Tall Ship Photos (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/)
-   -   Boulers Painting (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/92063-boulers-painting.html)

joevan[_2_] March 10th 08 01:14 PM

Boulers Painting

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 05:16:16 +0100, "Bouler"
wrote:

Years and years ago I painted a tallship with real oilpaint.
Well painting is not the good word, it was more coloring a picture with
paint.
In Germany they"called it "Mahlen nach zahlen", what means in Englisch
"Painting in numbers.
The result is not so bad i.m.o.;)
Its dirty so it has to be cleaned but I don't know how.

Safest is to start with mineral spirits. Use a small bit to start on a
cotton skewer. If it was varnished with a dammar or such then the
varnish will come off with the dirt. If it was never varnished and
dirt has settled on the actual paint then carefully use some damp
cotton and see if that might help remove the dirt. We use a special
soap that is not harmful to the paint. A bit of enzyme might be
needed. That is in your spit.

Bouler March 10th 08 02:41 PM

Boulers Painting

"joevan" schreef in bericht
wrote:

Years and years ago I painted a tallship with real oilpaint.
Well painting is not the good word, it was more coloring a picture with
paint.
In Germany they"called it "Mahlen nach zahlen", what means in Englisch
"Painting in numbers.
The result is not so bad i.m.o.;)

Its dirty so it has to be cleaned but I don't know how.

Safest is to start with mineral spirits. Use a small bit to start on a
cotton skewer. If it was varnished with a dammar or such then the
varnish will come off with the dirt. If it was never varnished and
dirt has settled on the actual paint then carefully use some damp
cotton and see if that might help remove the dirt. We use a special
soap that is not harmful to the paint. A bit of enzyme might be
needed. That is in your spit.

Thanks joevan, you're the expert, I'll try.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

joevan[_2_] March 10th 08 05:16 PM

Boulers Painting

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:41:13 +0100, "Bouler"
wrote:

"joevan" schreef in bericht
.. .
wrote:

Years and years ago I painted a tallship with real oilpaint.
Well painting is not the good word, it was more coloring a picture with
paint.
In Germany they"called it "Mahlen nach zahlen", what means in Englisch
"Painting in numbers.
The result is not so bad i.m.o.;)

Its dirty so it has to be cleaned but I don't know how.

Safest is to start with mineral spirits. Use a small bit to start on a
cotton skewer. If it was varnished with a dammar or such then the
varnish will come off with the dirt. If it was never varnished and
dirt has settled on the actual paint then carefully use some damp
cotton and see if that might help remove the dirt. We use a special
soap that is not harmful to the paint. A bit of enzyme might be
needed. That is in your spit.

Thanks joevan, you're the expert, I'll try.

I only say this because it is your own painting and numbers and all.
Just do a corner or so until you think it is ok.

Bouler March 10th 08 09:31 PM

Boulers Painting

"joevan" schreef in bericht

Safest is to start with mineral spirits. Use a small bit to start on a
cotton skewer. If it was varnished with a dammar or such then the
varnish will come off with the dirt. If it was never varnished and
dirt has settled on the actual paint then carefully use some damp
cotton and see if that might help remove the dirt. We use a special
soap that is not harmful to the paint. A bit of enzyme might be
needed. That is in your spit.

Thanks joevan, you're the expert, I'll try.

I only say this because it is your own painting and numbers and all.
Just do a corner or so until you think it is ok.

I will.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

HEMI-Powered March 11th 08 11:12 AM

Boulers Painting

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour

Years and years ago I painted a tallship with real oilpaint.
Well painting is not the good word, it was more coloring a
picture with paint.
In Germany they"called it "Mahlen nach zahlen", what means in
Englisch "Painting in numbers.
The result is not so bad i.m.o.;)
Its dirty so it has to be cleaned but I don't know how.

I successfully found you, Bouler! And, although you said "no big
deal", I feel I should still re-apologize for being so dense I
didn't catch your sig. Now, as to your Renault, is that at all a
popular brand of car in the Netherlands? Here in the U.S.,
Citroen, Puegeot, and Renault have all made attempts a couple of
times to penetrate our market but each failed. In the 1980s, when
Chrysler was collaborating on some engines with Peugeot, I had a
Plymouth Turismo 2-door little FWD car with a 1.6L Peugeot 4-
banger in it. Got terrific gas mileage but seriously lacked
power. Styling is a very personal thing, and personally I find
French styling to be pretty ugly but what I see posted in the
a.b.p.autos group of modern cars, I think it is improving as in
their quality and reliability.

Check back into the "wallpaper" NG, I'm posting more cars
pictures right now. I'll try a few more series and evaluate the
interest or lack thereof.

BTW, nice painting. I have absolutely zero artistic ability to
the point where I flunked "Crayons" in Kindergarten so anyone who
can paint except by-the-numbers has my respect!

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Surely you can't be serious! And don't call me Shirley!" - from
the movie "Airplane!"

Bouler March 11th 08 03:41 PM

Boulers Painting

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht
Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour

Years and years ago I painted a tallship with real oilpaint.
Well painting is not the good word, it was more coloring a
picture with paint.
In Germany they"called it "Mahlen nach zahlen", what means in
Englisch "Painting in numbers.
The result is not so bad i.m.o.;)
Its dirty so it has to be cleaned but I don't know how.

I successfully found you, Bouler! And, although you said "no big
deal", I feel I should still re-apologize for being so dense I
didn't catch your sig. Now, as to your Renault, is that at all a
popular brand of car in the Netherlands?

Renault, Citroën, Peugeot, Volswagen, Toyota, Mitsubisi and a lot more.
I don't know what the most popular car is.
I like the styling of Frenc cars, so you see all is very subjective;-)

Here in the U.S.,
Citroen, Puegeot, and Renault have all made attempts a couple of
times to penetrate our market but each failed. In the 1980s, when
Chrysler was collaborating on some engines with Peugeot, I had a
Plymouth Turismo 2-door little FWD car with a 1.6L Peugeot 4-
banger in it. Got terrific gas mileage but seriously lacked
power. Styling is a very personal thing, and personally I find
French styling to be pretty ugly but what I see posted in the
a.b.p.autos group of modern cars, I think it is improving as in
their quality and reliability.

Check back into the "wallpaper" NG, I'm posting more cars
pictures right now. I'll try a few more series and evaluate the
interest or lack thereof.

I will find them later these day, I'm away this evening.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

HEMI-Powered March 11th 08 04:31 PM

Boulers Painting

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour

I successfully found you, Bouler! And, although you said "no
big deal", I feel I should still re-apologize for being so
dense I didn't catch your sig. Now, as to your Renault, is
that at all a popular brand of car in the Netherlands?

Renault, Citroën, Peugeot, Volswagen, Toyota, Mitsubisi and a
lot more. I don't know what the most popular car is.
I like the styling of Frenc cars, so you see all is very
subjective;-)

Yes, styling is extremely subjective as is brand loyalty, such
that it exists today. And, the United States has always had very
different views on styling as well as size of car and power
compared to the realities of Europe with small streets but high
gas prices and heavy taxes.

I will find them later these day, I'm away this evening.

Hope you find them interesting.

Bouler March 11th 08 09:54 PM

Boulers Painting

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht

Renault, Citroën, Peugeot, Volswagen, Toyota, Mitsubisi and a
lot more. I don't know what the most popular car is.
I like the styling of Frenc cars, so you see all is very
subjective;-)

Yes, styling is extremely subjective as is brand loyalty, such
that it exists today. And, the United States has always had very
different views on styling as well as size of car and power
compared to the realities of Europe with small streets but high
gas prices and heavy taxes.

Gas is extremely expensive this moment, in the past it went up and down with
the US dollar.
Now the dollar is low, the Euro is high and still the prizes are rizing.
I don't have a clue why, but one thing is sure, I cannot change that;-)

I will find them later these day, I'm away this evening.

Hope you find them interesting.

Very interesting, thanks.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

joevan[_2_] March 11th 08 09:55 PM

Boulers Painting

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:41:13 +0100, "Bouler"
wrote:

[...]

I had the most wonderful Peugeot for 25 years of luxury and sports car
like driving. It was a 78 station wagon, but it drove so perfectly for
all the time I had it. Cost very little per year and I finally let it
go after it sat in my garage for another 2 years. I never drove a more
comfortable or better car and I have driven Mercedes, Toyota, and most
all of the usual cars.