BoatBanter.com

-   Tall Ship Photos (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/)
-   -   green 01 Green Holland from my balcony.JPG (1/1) (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/86275-green-01-green-holland-my-balcony-jpg-1-1-a.html)

Bouler[_2_] September 17th 07 01:05 AM

green 01 Green Holland from my balcony.JPG (1/1)

1 Attachment(s)

joevan[_2_] September 17th 07 02:59 PM

green 01 Green Holland from my balcony.JPG (1/1)

On 17 Sep 2007 00:05:47 GMT, (Bouler)

Nice place there mister. Is that a dedicated bike path?

Bouler September 17th 07 05:38 PM

green 01 Green Holland from my balcony.JPG (1/1)

3 Attachment(s)

"joevan" schreef in bericht
wrote:

Nice place there mister. Is that a dedicated bike path?

Yes it is now.
In the early days it had the name "jaagpad" meant for horses and even people
to pull ships throug the river when it was impossible to sail.
I cannot find better pictures, but it was hard work for people who could not
buy a horse.
There are a lot of these in The Netherlands, most of them don't exist
anymore, others are made for walking or biking so you still can see the
history.

I found a picture from the Wolga in Russia, same hard labour.
--
Groeten
Bouler (The Netherlands)

joevan[_2_] September 17th 07 05:50 PM

green 01 Green Holland from my balcony.JPG (1/1)

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:38:56 +0200, "Bouler"
wrote:

"joevan" schreef in bericht
.. .
wrote:

Nice place there mister. Is that a dedicated bike path?

Yes it is now.
In the early days it had the name "jaagpad" meant for horses and even people
to pull ships throug the river when it was impossible to sail.
I cannot find better pictures, but it was hard work for people who could not
buy a horse.
There are a lot of these in The Netherlands, most of them don't exist
anymore, others are made for walking or biking so you still can see the
history.

I found a picture from the Wolga in Russia, same hard labour.

Neat. The first one, the black and white has a nice light and beauty
to it.

Bouler September 18th 07 12:45 AM

green 01 Green Holland from my balcony.JPG (1/1)

"joevan" schreef in bericht

There are a lot of these in The Netherlands, most of them don't exist
anymore, others are made for walking or biking so you still can see the
history.

I found a picture from the Wolga in Russia, same hard labour.

Neat. The first one, the black and white has a nice light and beauty
to it.

Indeed and if I said it is an old picture made at my place, nobody would
doubt about it;-)
--
Groeten
Bouler (The Netherlands)

Tuppence September 20th 07 06:34 PM

green 01 Green Holland from my balcony.JPG (1/1)

3 Attachment(s)

"joevan" schreef in bericht
wrote:

Nice place there mister. Is that a dedicated bike path?

Yes it is now.
In the early days it had the name "jaagpad" meant for horses and even
people
to pull ships throug the river when it was impossible to sail.
I cannot find better pictures, but it was hard work for people who could
not
buy a horse.
There are a lot of these in The Netherlands, most of them don't exist
anymore, others are made for walking or biking so you still can see the
history.

I found a picture from the Wolga in Russia, same hard labour.
--
Groeten
Bouler (The Netherlands)

Hi Bouler,

I assume 'jaagpad' means 'towpath'. We call it 'towpad' in Belfast.

An old photo of the Lagan canal at Drumbeg near to where I live - Date not
known but would be before 1956 - might even be pre-war. The barge is about
to turn right into the cut at the Drumbeg lock. The arms of the lock gate
can be seen just in front of the horse. I walk the towpad (towpath) here
most days every week.

The barge shown is most probably carrying coal to its owners at the former
Barbour Linen Mill at Hilden about 3 miles (approx. 5Km.) upstream. The
barge is named 'EVA' after one of the Barbour family who were once one of
the linen barons in this area. Horses used to tow barges would develop a
sideways mode of walking which ruined them for other work such as ploughing,
etc.

It might be of interest to you to know that this part of the canal opened in
1757 and the construction engineer was a Dutchman, Thomas Omer. The
condition of the canal deteriorated rapidly after the canal closed in 1956
and is no longer fit for boating. The weirs and lock gates were removed and
the lock chambers are now overgrown and in dangerous condition.

2nd photo was taken today is of the same stretch of water. Clear of duckweed
today but I have seen it covered green about two months ago.

3rd photo shows condition of lock - plenty of duckweed there.

Regards,

Tuppence

Tuppence September 20th 07 06:40 PM

green 01 Green Holland from my balcony.JPG (1/1)

1 Attachment(s)

Sorry attached wrong photo.

Here is correct photo. Apologies

Tuppence

Tuppence September 20th 07 06:43 PM

green 01 Green Holland from my balcony.JPG (1/1)

1 Attachment(s)
Trying again.

Bouler September 20th 07 11:36 PM

green 01 Green Holland from my balcony.JPG (1/1)

"Tuppence" schreef in bericht

[...]

I never heard of Thomas Omer, but I like the the pictures you posted.
Nice to see it's not only used in The Netherlands.
It's always interesting to hear that it was used in your counry too.
Thanks for your interesting reaction.
--
Groeten
Bouler (The Netherlands)

Bouler September 20th 07 11:40 PM

green 01 Green Holland from my balcony.JPG (1/1)

"Tuppence" schreef in bericht

Sorry attached wrong photo.

Here is correct photo. Apologies

Thats indeed the same use of "jaagpad" ore "Towpad"
Thanks for the picture.
Countrys have more in common than we think and that makes this group so
interesting.
--
Groeten
Bouler (The Netherlands)