BoatBanter.com

-   Tall Ship Photos (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/)
-   -   TUG BOAT 1 , SCHOONER 0 (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/82893-tug-boat-1-schooner-0-a.html)

Canal Lee May 15th 07 01:48 AM

TUG BOAT 1 , SCHOONER 0

We have had some action in our little town that is sad . A tug
collided with a 1911 built schooner and sunk it just west of here .

Here is the story in tonights local newspaper online , and then a link
to a website about the schonner . The C & D Canal remains closed as of
Monday evening , until they get the old girl off the bottom of the
canal . No one died in the mishap .

STORY -

Sailboat sinking to keep C&D Canal closed until Tuesday
By TERRI SANGINITI, The News Journal
Updated Monday, May 14, 2007 at 7:09 pm

A 45-foot wooden schooner that sank in the channel of the Chesapeake &
Delaware Canal will remain on the bottom until Tuesday and the
waterway will be closed to all traffic until it is raised, officials
said this afternoon.

A father and his two daughters were rescued by crew members of the
tugboat Schuylkill after the tug and sailboat collided about 3:30 a.m.
today, said Edward Voigt, a spokesman for the Army Corps of Engineers
in Philadelphia.

The three were taken to Union Hospital in Elkton, Md., after being
treated by paramedics on the scene for minor injuries. One daughter
was admitted to the hospital, Voigt said.

The collision happened about 1.5 miles west of the Chesapeake City
Bridge over the canal (Md. 213). The schooner was headed east and the
barge was headed west, Voigt said.

The 14-mile canal cuts through the northern Delmarva peninsula. It
provides a shortcut of about 300 miles for marine traffic between
Philadelphia and Baltimore, saving ships from having to make a long
journey around the southern end of the peninsula.

As of 1 p.m, the closing had affected two large container vessels, as
well as six tugs and barges, said Scott Winslow, a search and rescue
controller with the Coast Guard in Baltimore.

Winslow said he did not know how long the canal would be closed.

"That's the million dollar question," he said.

Winslow said the schooner Heron, built in 1911, was based in Port
Monmouth, N.J.

A three-foot section of its mast was all that showed above the water
this afternoon.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Kip Wadlow said the Army Corps closed the
canal about 6:30 a.m.

“It poses a hazard to navigation and the Army Corps wants to make sure
the debris is out of the water so it doesn't pose a risk to water
traffic,” Wadlow said.

While Coast Guard officials are broadcasting advisories every 30
minutes, many smaller vessels that use the canal are not equipped with
radios, Winslow said. "We don't want anybody to get hurt," he said.

The collision is being investigated by the Coast Guard’s Baltimore
district.

Voigt said divers would be brought in this morning to assist with
removal of the wreckage. He said the Corps hopes to have the Canal
reopened by Tuesday afternoon.
Contact Terri Sanginiti at 324-2771 or

LINK TO SCHOONER -
http://www.amschooner.org/node/83

joevan[_2_] May 15th 07 01:32 PM

TUG BOAT 1 , SCHOONER 0

On Mon, 14 May 2007 20:48:17 -0400, Canal Lee
wrote:

[...]

Wow, I wondered what happened to my Heron. That is the ship I learned
to sail. She is a wonder and I sure hope she can be rescued again.
Many times I sailed on that beauty. Will never forget the good times.
Thanks for the links.
This is sort of a letdown in a way. I had heard nothing of her until
this post by you. I had no idea what if anything had happened to her.
She must have been completely rebuilt below the water line as she was
not in good shape last I was aware.
Nice to know she has been revived and now I hope she can be again.
Sad to find her and loose her at the same time.

joevan[_2_] May 15th 07 01:38 PM

TUG BOAT 1 , SCHOONER 0

On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:32:32 GMT, joevan
wrote:

[...]

Thank you for that link.
My friend seems to have come back from the dead. His writings about
Heron are there too as well as all information about restoration.

Canal Lee May 16th 07 02:50 AM

TUG BOAT 1 , SCHOONER 0

wrote:

[...]

How interesting that you actually sailed on that classic rig !
I never know who knows what at ABP-TS . I can`t say i ever saw her
before , either here or elsewhere .

This morning ( Tuesday ) they used a crane barge and divers and
brought her up and on to a deck barge , then I heard over the marine
radio that they were taking her to Baltimore . Rumor has it that the
Heron had no lights on . The tug and barge had lights .Maybe
somebody fell asleep at the wheel ? Everything happened west of here
where I can`t get access for any pics .

If she is not too far gone , perhaps they can rebuild her , and you
can sail on the Heron once again .

joevan[_2_] May 16th 07 01:56 PM

TUG BOAT 1 , SCHOONER 0

wrote:

[...]

That would be wonderful. As I said before I think I could handle her
with minimal help myself. Would be a wonderful thing to do again.

joevan[_2_] May 16th 07 04:20 PM

TUG BOAT 1 , SCHOONER 0

wrote:

[...]

Just to say that it would not be possible for anyone to fall asleep at
the wheel as Heron had none and they restored her fully, as I
understand. I remember having the tiller vibrating just so when Heron
was trimmed and sailing perfectly.

joevan[_2_] May 17th 07 02:14 AM

TUG BOAT 1 , SCHOONER 0 Heron raised

wrote:

[...]

http://chesapeakecity.blogspot.com/2...-from-c-d.html

Can't tell from these shots but it may be possible to save her. I have
my fingers crossed and am hoping she will sail another day.

Canal Lee May 18th 07 01:00 AM

TUG BOAT 1 , SCHOONER 0 Heron raised

wrote:

[...]

I don`t look at this blog too much because i know who runs it and I
can`t stand her .......however , I`m glad you posted a link
so we could see the schooner being raised . The photographer is
one of our new town councilman .

The blog is not free for anyone to express their views about the town
or anything else . You submit something and if "CANALSIDE " agrees
with it , then it gets posted . If not , it doesn`t .

There are two groups in control of Chesapeake City . Stalinists and
Nit Wits . CANALSIDE is one of the COMMIES .

At one time there was a link on the Official town website to this blog
, but I think they removed it .