BoatBanter.com

-   Tall Ship Photos (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/)
-   -   Hokule'a west bound in the Panama canal (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/173317-hokulea-west-bound-panama-canal.html)

john Szalay February 2nd 17 03:07 PM

Hokule'a west bound in the Panama canal

Polynesian Voyaging Society's double-hulled voyaging canoe Hokule'a west
bound in the upper chamber of the Miraflores locks. January 11, 2017

Because Hokule'a has no engines, and because of the turbulence and currents
within the canal, the canoe was safely towed by a powerful work vessel –
DWS Linda – through the canal.

Hokule'a has now arrived at the Galapagos.

next leg of her journey takes the canoe to Rapa Nui, Isla de Pascua
then to Pitcairn Island,
then the Marquesas Islands before returning home to Hawaii

john Szalay February 2nd 17 03:09 PM

Hokule'a west bound in the Panama canal - 1 attachment

1 Attachment(s)
john Szalay john.szalayatatt.net wrote in
31:

Polynesian Voyaging Society's double-hulled voyaging canoe Hokule'a
west
bound in the upper chamber of the Miraflores locks. January 11, 2017

Because Hokule'a has no engines, and because of the turbulence and
currents within the canal, the canoe was safely towed by a powerful
work vessel – DWS Linda – through the canal.

Hokule'a has now arrived at the Galapagos.

next leg of her journey takes the canoe to Rapa Nui, Isla de Pascua
then to Pitcairn Island,
then the Marquesas Islands before returning home to Hawaii

helps to add the photo...

Paul McGrane[_2_] February 2nd 17 07:17 PM

On 2/2/2017 10:09 AM, john Szalay wrote:
john Szalay john.szalayatatt.net wrote in
31:

Polynesian Voyaging Society's double-hulled voyaging canoe Hokule'a
west
bound in the upper chamber of the Miraflores locks. January 11, 2017

Because Hokule'a has no engines, and because of the turbulence and
currents within the canal, the canoe was safely towed by a powerful
work vessel – DWS Linda – through the canal.

Hokule'a has now arrived at the Galapagos.

next leg of her journey takes the canoe to Rapa Nui, Isla de Pascua
then to Pitcairn Island,
then the Marquesas Islands before returning home to Hawaii

helps to add the photo...

Something you don't see every day!

Paul

[email protected] February 2nd 17 08:06 PM

Hokule'a west bound in the Panama canal - 1 attachment

I wonder if the work boat was going thru the locks and just took them
along for free or if they had to pay for the tow. Back in 1955 or 56
my friend and I wanted to conoe down the Mississippi during the sommer
school break. We didn't think it out enough, but his parents would
not allow him to go. I wonder how many locks the Mississippi river had
between the start and New Orleans. Nope we couldn't 'google' back
than. Seems there are 29 on the upper river. Hal Thanks for the
pictures.

On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 09:09:00 -0600, john Szalay john.szalayatatt.net
wrote:

john Szalay john.szalayatatt.net wrote in
. 131:

john Szalay February 2nd 17 11:47 PM

Hokule'a west bound in the Panama canal - 1 attachment

Paul McGrane wrote in news:8fGdneLJCJRbGA7FnZ2dnUU7-
:

On 2/2/2017 10:09 AM, john Szalay wrote:
john Szalay john.szalayatatt.net wrote in
31:

Something you don't see every day!

Paul

on last legs of a 3 year around the world sailing voyage
to end around June this year

john Szalay February 3rd 17 12:02 AM

Hokule'a west bound in the Panama canal - 1 attachment

wrote in news:nq379cd6030htukqp00m79li44m14kddl5@
4ax.com:

I wonder if the work boat was going thru the locks and just took them
along for free or if they had to pay for the tow. Back in 1955 or 56
my friend and I wanted to conoe down the Mississippi during the sommer
school break. We didn't think it out enough, but his parents would
not allow him to go. I wonder how many locks the Mississippi river had
between the start and New Orleans. Nope we couldn't 'google' back
than. Seems there are 29 on the upper river. Hal Thanks for the
pictures.

no such thing as a free ride, I suspect they had to pay the toll plus
the cost of the work boat..

IIRC:
even a swimmer going the length of the canal had to pay the toll..

"What is the lowest toll paid to date? "

"The lowest tolls to date were paid by Richard Halliburton, who swam the
Panama Canal in 1928. Halliburton paid only 36 cents. "

and
https://www.pancanal.com/common/mari...ENG-201211.pdf