Default Emma Maresk

Jee, that thing is bigger than a blue whale.

I have worked on MAERSK ships for years. I call the pretty blue junks.

They will build a ship in China for $50,000,000, run the living hell out of
it for 5 years and sell it for $80,000,000.

Mark

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 20:01:18 -0400, "MWB" wrote:

Jee, that thing is bigger than a blue whale.

I have worked on MAERSK ships for years. I call the pretty blue junks.

They will build a ship in China for $50,000,000, run the living hell out of
it for 5 years and sell it for $80,000,000.

Mark

I agree and I try not to go to Wally mort. I don't need much these
days and I can't stand to be in those places. I think the end of such
will not be too far in the future.

CaveLamb wrote:
What a ship....no wonder 'Made in China ' is displacing North American
made goods big time.

This monster transports goods across the Pacific in just 5 days!! This
is one of three ships presently in service, with another two ships
commissioned to be completed in 2012.

These ships were commissioned by Wal-Mart to get all their goods and
stuff from China . They hold an incredible 15,000 containers and have a

It says below "Cargo capacity - 15,000 TEU (1 TEU = 20 cubic feet)"
When I try to count the containers on the ship I see maybe 2000 - 2500 max

That's a lot! When one of the CSX stackers comes by I see maybe 200,
usually a lot less. So that is ten or more trains. A lot.

207 foot deck beam!! The full crew is just 13 people on a ship longer
than a US Aircraft Carrier (which has a crew of 5,000)

With it's 207' beam it is too big to fit through the Panama or Suez
Canals .
It is strictly transpacific. Cruise speed: 31 knots.

The goods arrive 4 days before the typical container ship (18-20 knots) on
a China -to- California run. 91% of Walmart products are made in
China .

So this behemoth is hugely competitive even when carrying perishable goods.

The command bridge is higher than a 10-story building and has 11 cargo
crane rigs that can operate simultaneously unloading the entire ship in
less than two hours.

Editorial Comment!
A recent documentary in late March, 2010 on the History Channel noted that
all of these containers are shipped back to China , EMPTY. Yep, that's
right.
We send nothing back on these ships. What does that tell you about the
current financial state of this country? Just keep buying those imported
goods (mostly gadgets) until you run out of money.

Additional info:

Country of origin - Denmark
Length - 1,302 ft
Width - 207 ft
Net cargo - 123,200 tons
Engine - 14 cylinders in-line diesel engine
(110,000 BHP)
Cruise Speed - 31 knots
Cargo capacity - 15,000 TEU (1 TEU = 20 cubic feet)
Crew - 13 people !
First Trip - Sept. 08, 2006
Construction cost - US $145,000,000+

Silicone painting applied to the ship bottom reduces water
resistance and saves 317,000 gallons of diesel per year.

1 TEU is not 20 cubic feet.....it is 20'X 8" X @8". The majority of the
containers you are seeing on deck are probably 40 footers and don't forget
what is stowed below that you can't see

Bob Taylor wrote in
:

otnmbrd wrote:
1 TEU is not 20 cubic feet.....it is 20'X 8" X @8". The majority of the
containers you are seeing on deck are probably 40 footers and don't forget
what is stowed below that you can't see

I never heard of a TEU and was going by what the post said. On the
shot from the side (#1) I count 20 slots and on the shot from the rear
I count 6 high and 22 wide. That makes 2640. If there are as many
below, that is still only 5280 which is a little over a third of 15,000.

Bob Taylor wrote in
:

otnmbrd wrote:
1 TEU is not 20 cubic feet.....it is 20'X 8" X @8". The majority of
the containers you are seeing on deck are probably 40 footers and
don't forget what is stowed below that you can't see

I never heard of a TEU and was going by what the post said. On the
shot from the side (#1) I count 20 slots and on the shot from the rear
I count 6 high and 22 wide. That makes 2640. If there are as many
below, that is still only 5280 which is a little over a third of
15,000.

Again, you're probably thinking 20 footers, where most are probably 40
footers that you are looking at, so double your numbers and figure possible
miscounts and you'll probably approach the !5K

"MWB" wrote in message

Jee, that thing is bigger than a blue whale.

I have worked on MAERSK ships for years. I call [them] the pretty blue
junks.

They will build a ship in China for $50,000,000, run the living hell out
of it for 5 years and sell it for $80,000,000.

Mark

They can sell a used ship for more than they bought it for?

"Charles Manoras" wrote in message
. ..

"MWB" wrote in message

Jee, that thing is bigger than a blue whale.

I have worked on MAERSK ships for years. I call [them] the pretty blue
junks.

They will build a ship in China for $50,000,000, run the living hell out
of it for 5 years and sell it for $80,000,000.

Mark

They can sell a used ship for more than they bought it for?

MAERSK does or they wouldn't sell them.

I know one oil company that lost money selling 2 VLCC's. If they had held
onto them for 2 more years they would have made a lot of money.

mark

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:40:04 -0500, otnmbrd
wrote:

1 TEU is not 20 cubic feet.....it is 20'X 8" X @8". The majority of the
containers you are seeing on deck are probably 40 footers and don't forget
what is stowed below that you can't see

Bob Taylor wrote in
:

It says below "Cargo capacity - 15,000 TEU (1 TEU = 20 cubic feet)"
When I try to count the containers on the ship I see maybe 2000 - 2500
max

That's a lot! When one of the CSX stackers comes by I see maybe 200,
usually a lot less. So that is ten or more trains. A lot.

I would refer you to the following link:
http://www.emma-maersk.com/specification/

which has a lot of general information about the Emma Maersk Class
ships, 8 in all. About half way down the page is a link to an
estimated container carrying capacity. All capacity is listed as
****** TEU's (Twenty foot Equivalent units). Most container ships
carry 2x20 ft or 1x 40 ft in all below deck slots. On deck stowage is
generally 1 x 40 ft per slot with some allowance for 20 ft stacks as
well. Additionally 45 ft and some 48 ft boxes can be carried in the
upper tiers on deck as they have corner posts which will allow
stacking on top of the 40 ft cans.

The speed listed at 31 mph is an incorrect conversion from the listed
speed of 25.5 kts, 27.5 mph is closer to correct.

The Spec page lists ship's power as 109,000 HP on the main engine plus
an additional 40,000 HP fron 5 Catapiller engines. These last 5 units
are connected to alternators to provide power to ships services, bow
and stern thrusters (used in place of tugboats during docking
manouvers) and to provide power for up to 1000 40 ft reefer
containers.

Regards to all,

Dave McNeil
Retired Ch. Engineer
SS Sealand Enterprise

IT SHOWS 14904 CONTAINERS

http://www.emma-maersk.com/image/scheme1.pdf

And it shows construction cost as $145,000,000 + US