BoatBanter.com

-   Tall Ship Photos (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/)
-   -   Patriot Service (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/115510-patriot-service.html)

MWB[_2_] May 23rd 10 01:38 AM

Patriot Service

1 Attachment(s)
Piscataqua River Portsmouth, NH

This was a Candies tug out of New Orleans. I worked for Candies in 1984 and
1985 and it brought back some great memories.

Mark

Stetson J.B. Mentzer May 28th 10 05:19 AM

Patriot Service

Newbie Q: does the lack of freeboard by the stern cause issues in a
heavy/following sea? Or do tugs like this not venture into open water?

Thanks,

/Stetson

MWB[_2_] May 28th 10 06:10 AM

Patriot Service

On 5/22/10 20:38 , MWB wrote:
Piscataqua River Portsmouth, NH

This was a Candies tug out of New Orleans. I worked for Candies in 1984
and
1985 and it brought back some great memories.

Mark

This is a great question.

In 10 foot seas the stern is easily under water.

This is a sea going tug and can easily handle 20 - 30 foot seas. Notice the
high stacks. This is a work horse that doesn't go weather-bound. This tug
was made in Louisiana and designed in Japan.

This tug was designer to do one thing. Tow oil rigs and it was perfect for
the job.

Follow the stairs. I used to sit for hours at the bottom of the stairs. I
would wear a life jacket, wrap a line around myself and sit at the bottom of
the stairs on the stern. There are two freeing ports there and it was great
to have water break over my head and come in through the freeing ports.

The upper wheel houses were added later on and these tugs stay in the notch.

At night I would put the flood lights on the stern and sit in the rearward
facing helm (between the stacks) and watch the world float by.

Then I got married.

Mark