BoatBanter.com

-   Tall Ship Photos (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/)
-   -   The Wylde Swan, the largest topsail schooner in the world (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/114914-wylde-swan-largest-topsail-schooner-world.html)

joevan[_3_] April 6th 10 03:42 PM

The Wylde Swan, the largest topsail schooner in the world

http://tallship.typepad.com/my_weblo...the-world.html

joevan[_3_] April 6th 10 05:06 PM

The Wylde Swan, the largest topsail schooner in the world

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 10:48:04 -0500, Sj wrote:

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 10:42:49 -0400, joevan
wrote:

http://tallship.typepad.com/my_weblo...the-world.html

Interesting ... I lived on Topsail Island for 20 years ... the name,
Topsail, apparently was derived as follows:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topsail_Island

'Name origin'

'Topsail Island's name is supposedly derived from its nefarious
history. According to popular belief, pirates once hid in the
channel between the island and the mainland waiting for passing
ships. The topsail was supposedly the only part of the pirate ship
that could be seen by the passing 'victim' until it gave chase.
There is a legend that Blackbeard hid his treasure on Topsail
Island and it is still being searched for today.'

Didn't find the treasure while living there ;-)

Sj

I guess that could be good for the island. People still have something
to look forward to. :o)

Bouler April 6th 10 11:59 PM

The Wylde Swan, the largest topsail schooner in the world

"joevan" schreef in bericht
http://tallship.typepad.com/my_weblo...the-world.html

Great link joevan, thanks.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

Bouler April 7th 10 12:03 AM

The Wylde Swan, the largest topsail schooner in the world

"Sj" schreef in bericht

http://tallship.typepad.com/my_weblo...the-world.html

Interesting ... I lived on Topsail Island for 20 years ... the name,
Topsail, apparently was derived as follows:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topsail_Island

'Name origin'

'Topsail Island's name is supposedly derived from its nefarious
history. According to popular belief, pirates once hid in the
channel between the island and the mainland waiting for passing
ships. The topsail was supposedly the only part of the pirate ship
that could be seen by the passing 'victim' until it gave chase.
There is a legend that Blackbeard hid his treasure on Topsail
Island and it is still being searched for today.'

Didn't find the treasure while living there ;-)

Nice information Sj, thanks, maybe I'll come over to find the treasure;-)
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)