BoatBanter.com

-   Tall Ship Photos (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/)
-   -   S.S. Parracombe by Laurence Dunn S_edge (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/106691-s-s-parracombe-laurence-dunn-s_edge.html)

swordedge June 7th 09 01:44 PM

S.S. Parracombe by Laurence Dunn S_edge

1 Attachment(s)

Dave Doubleyew-3 June 7th 09 03:52 PM

S.S. Parracombe by Laurence Dunn S_edge

I thought on seeing this one, hey-up, I know that name. Parrcombe is a small
hamlet in North Devon, SW of Lynmouth on Exmoor. A pretty little place that
one tends to only have a fleeting glimpse of as they drive through. I know;
useless information but, one does wonder why a commercial vessel was named
after a small place on Exmoor UK.

Dave

swordedge June 7th 09 09:32 PM

S.S. Parracombe by Laurence Dunn S_edge

It is very strange as she was named by a company based in West Hartlepool.
Another ship of the same kind was named the Welcombe (another village in
Devon). The Parracombe was torpedoed on the 4th April 1941 in mid-Atlantic
with a cargo of grain.
Best wishes, David.

PS, In May 1941 the Welcombe was sunk on an unescorted passage to Malta by
Heinckel aircraft. Out of a crew of 47, 30 were lost. (Cargo - Government
Stores.)