BoatBanter.com

-   Power Boat Racing (https://www.boatbanter.com/power-boat-racing/)
-   -   mercruiser engine query (https://www.boatbanter.com/power-boat-racing/47493-mercruiser-engine-query.html)

[email protected] August 22nd 05 06:33 PM

mercruiser engine query

Hi there,

I need a definitive answer to this question: I need a new set of piston
rings for a mercruiser 2.5L 120 engine and would like to find an
alternative set of rings to the genuine parts. I am led to believe that
this engine is a derivitive of a Chev or GM unit. The block has GM
stamped on it and the engine serial number is: 2773308.

Can anyone stick their neck out, based on cast iron experience and tell
me what other piston rings would fit this engine?

cheers

Terry

William Bikash August 29th 05 03:05 AM

The 2.5 Mercruiser engine is based on a Chevy II or Chevy Nova auto
engine from the early 1960's. The engine displacement was 153 ci which
is 2.5L. A later version was called the Iron Duke, used for some small
GM cars ln the 80's + - . The 3.0 ltr (183ci) version was marine /
industrial only. Same basic engine with a larger bore .