BoatBanter.com

-   Power Boat Racing (https://www.boatbanter.com/power-boat-racing/)
-   -   Baker Tunnel Hull - Question (https://www.boatbanter.com/power-boat-racing/15207-baker-tunnel-hull-question.html)

Bob La Londe August 9th 03 04:49 AM

Baker Tunnel Hull - Question

Just picked up a 20' Baker tunnel hull with a 200HP Mariner. It ran great.
I imagine when I get used to setting the jack plate just right and trimming
the engine perfect I'll probably be able to run close to 80 with it. Maybe
a little quicker with a different prop.

Anyway, I noticed something intersiting. Going away from the wind it ran
flat and quick, but running into the wind it tended to porpoise a little. I
had to trim it down a little to prevent that. Now for the question. Do
tunnel hulls trap air and porpoise?

I noticed it didn't seem to do it as much at higher speeds either.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Woodchuck August 9th 03 07:37 PM

Baker Tunnel Hull - Question

Yes they do trap air and run differently going in or out of the wind. If
it's your first tunnel you got a long leaning curve to be safe. It took me
almost all summer before I got the hang of my STV tunnel

Check out www.stvowners.com and www.screamandfly.com