BoatBanter.com

-   Power Boat Racing (https://www.boatbanter.com/power-boat-racing/)
-   -   Jack Stoerrle Fund Benefits from Great Lakes Racer's Generosity (https://www.boatbanter.com/power-boat-racing/15126-jack-stoerrle-fund-benefits-great-lakes-racers-generosity.html)

APBA Offshore, LLC July 10th 03 02:37 AM

Jack Stoerrle Fund Benefits from Great Lakes Racer's Generosity

Terrah Lee GLSCS

This years McMachen Marine Lake St. Clair Offshore Challenge delivered a
fine variety of offshore powerboats to the Metro Beach area. Colorful Poker
Run Boats and sponsor laden Offshore Race boats captured the attention of
all who entered the wet and dry pit region of Metro Park.

The weekend kicked off with a huge fireworks display on Friday night in
downtown Mt. Clemens where race teams gathered at Johnny G's for the Welcome
Racers party. The excitement continued on Saturday morning as a large fleet
of poker runners headed out in the same rough lake waters, which greeted the
GLSCS Offshore Racing teams on Sunday afternoon. Thousands of spectators and
fans lined the sandy shores of Metro Beach to gape at the commotion on the
racecourse.

"This turned out to be a great race, the weather cooperated. The waters were
just rough enough to be challenging and a some of the bigger Pro Tour teams
like Reliable Carriers, Inc., came out to play," said One Design driver, Dr.
Norman Colby of Atlanta, GA. Reliable Carriers Super Cat captured first
place averaging speeds of 101 mph, #24, Airborne - Big Thunder finished
second.
In Super Cat Light (outboard) #19 Cat Can Do captured another first place
victory after also finishing first in the Cincinnati Offshore Grand Prix.

In the Factory classes, F2-24 Lets Play Racing jockeyed their way to first a
place finish and were followed by Tysted Styx (second) and Tsunami (third)
F1-44, Team BRE finished first in Factory 1, followed by Full Tilt and V1
Rotate.

Boat A-30, Great Lakes Caster dominated the Outlaw A class, passing by
Anything's Possible and those Grumpy Old Men. Outlaw B participant #10, Ben
Perfected was also awarded with a checkered flag.

P1-32, Agitator walked away with a victory in Performance 1 and P2-6 Bring
It On earned a checkered flag in the Performance 2 category.

A Performance 3 victory was awarded to P3-16, Back Draft Racing, burning
past Team Traffic Light. In Performance 4, P4-33 Fountain of Youth/Ultra
Team Racing captured their very first victory after the first two races of
the season proved to be huge disappointments.

"Third time was a charm, not only did we finish the race with no mechanical
problems, we finished 1st, three minutes ahead of the second place boat,"
said owner, Brian Bunch of Gibraltar, MI. "This race gave us an experience
more than we could ever asked for. We had to keep pinching ourselves due to
the unbelievable race we were having. Bob kept saying, no one is in site, I
kept thinking, we must be following the wrong course," added Bunch.

Performance 5 Boat #P5-88 Erie Stinger finished in first place putting the
flame out on Short Circuit.

The spectacle of winged "Bat Boats" known as One Design also came out to
play. Canadians William Masters and Steve Bamford waved their checkered flag
in just their second start in Boat #2 Double Trouble. If they continue their
success, Double Trouble could be $25,000 richer at the end of the season
thanks to the prize purse put out by Reindl Powerboats President, Chris
Reindl and company sponsors POC Incorporated, American Express Financial
Advisors, Premier Performance Interiors and others. American Express/B&R
Racing finished second with Brian Jones and Mike Raguso and Mid American/Poc
finished third. Reindl Powerboats leases out their boats for individuals to
race in the GLSCS and on the APBA Pro Tour. Contact Chris Reindl at: (513)
706-3199 or email: for more information.

The weekend ended with an awards ceremony to remember as monies raised for
the family of the late Jack Stoerrle were presented to wife Melanie and
their three children. Nearly every GLSCS race team has donated their
winnings since the memorial fund was established after Jacks death on April
12, 2003 during the Daytona Offshore Grand Prix. The event raised over
22,000 between the trust fund, and the racer donating their prize money from
Metro. The trust fund is still open until Sept 2, 2003 so let's see if we
can raise around 40,000 for Mel and the Kids. Checks made payable to the
Jack Stoerrle Trust fund may be sent to Attn: Bob Funkey, Charter One Bank,
36520 Moravian Clinton Twp MI. 48035.

"Mike Raguso really knows how to host a first class event. We have had
delicious food, all of it free and there have been really great parties, he
just really knows how to entertain and he is doing a hell of a job to raise
money for the Jack Stoerrle Memorial Fund," said Chris Reindl, Cincinnati
Offshore Grand Prix race producer and owner of Reindl Powerboats.

The next GLSCS race is the Mentor Offshore Classic in Mentor, OH on July
11-12, visit:
www.silvercupseries.com for race information

MafiaMuthaFoker July 21st 03 12:49 AM

Jack Stoerrle Fund Benefits from Great Lakes Racer's Generosity

Why don't any categories except Offshore post results and racing news in here?
I would enjoy reading about all categories. Not much info except on Offshore
for the most part.