BoatBanter.com

-   -   overheating diesel (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/99323-overheating-diesel.html)

[email protected] October 19th 08 01:45 AM

overheating diesel

FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM on my 13 hp sailboat diesel. After taking
the entire cooling system apart several times, not an easy thing to do
on a 28' sailboat.
I could verify that the inlet seacock and strainer was clear by
blowing through the hose into the water but it would just stop pumping
water after a few seconds. It was making me crazy.
In the dim light I noticed a fitting with a hose barb atop the seacock
and on a whim decided to pull it off. Dang, if there wasnt a piece of
shell stuck in it so that when I blew into it, it was clear but when
the pump sucked it would clog. It was pure bad luck that it managed
to slip past the strainer on the outside of the hull. Now she pumps
water like mad.
This took three Saturdays to cure and had me ready to call a
professional but when I considered that I realized he would be doing
just what I was doing and I am familiar with my engine installation.
GAWD what a fiasco.
As I stated before, it did alert me to my prop shaft coming unbolted
from the engine.