BoatBanter.com

-   -   Great Economic News: Recession is Over! (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/988-re-great-economic-news-recession-over.html)

jps September 5th 03 06:58 PM

Great Economic News: Recession is Over!

"MadDogDave" wrote in message
news:c3dhc2g=.0383a4a8de913cb41afafd9840c25c48@106 2775970.cotse.net...
September 5, 2003
Layoffs Rose Sharply Last Month, Report Says
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The civilian unemployment rate improved marginally
last month -- sliding to 6.1 percent -- as companies slashed payrolls by
93,000. Friday's report sent mixed signals about the nation's overall
economic health.

August was the seventh consecutive month of cuts in payrolls, a survey
released by the Labor Department showed, indicating continuing weakness
in the job market.

Thank Jesus for President Bush!!!!!!!!!!

That's a hell of a thing to lay on Jesus' lap. What did he do to deserve
George Bush?

Notice how the unemployment rate improved...people are so disheartened
they're giving up and not bothering to report.

Harry Krause September 6th 03 12:49 AM

jps wrote:

[...]

The economy is in the crapper. Americans tell how things are going by
whether they and the people they know have jobs and any sort of job
security. So far, Bush has no answers for job creation.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Harry Krause September 6th 03 01:32 AM

Great Economic News: Recession is Over!

bb wrote:

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 19:49:19 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

So far, Bush has no answers for job creation.

Now Harry, there you go again. Isn't that axe sharp enough yet?

Mr Bush just came out and said what we need are more tax cuts.

It is an interesting concept that what the economy needed to get going
again was tax cuts for the rich. Were there some tax increases to the
rich that put the economy in a tail spin to begin with? It seemed
like we were doing just fine, robust economy, budget surplus, and then
things went down hill around election time. I'll not blame Clinton,
or Bush, but lay it on a normal economic cycle brought on by
Greenspan's interest rate hikes. Maybe what Greenspan did was needed
considering how the economy was charging along and it was time to get
the Dems out of the white house. But, what happened was a normal
business cycle. The rich, or anyone else, being over taxed was not a
problem or we wouldn't have had such a strong economy for so long
under Clinton. No, the recession was just a good excuse to bilk the
national treasury for the good of Mr Bush's cronies.

bb

It's early yet for most Americans to even begin thinking about the
national elections. But the possibilities are interesting. We're a
little more than a year away, and we have a president who cannot get a
grasp on the economy, who has ruined decades of diplomacy, who has
ensnarled us in a war with a country that wasn't our enemy, who has
taken steps to worsen the environment, erode workers' rights, hand out
huge payoffs to the oil and drug industries, who has whittled away the
Bill of Rights, and who has made our country the laughing stock of the
world.

I have no idea who the Democratic nominees will be, but if they are a
pair willing to body slam Bush really hard for a year, they may well
beat him enough enough to send him back to Crawford, Texas. I like
Howard Dean as an orator - he has the fire in his belly - but I don't
know if his dog will hunt in the South. Pair him up with Wesley Clark
and you'll have a really interesting team that could slaughter the
Bu****es on domestic policy, diplomacy, and, of course, running the
military properly.

Notice how Bush has kind of stopped talking about Iraq and is now trying
to "handle" the economy?

Pathetic.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

NOYB September 6th 03 03:09 AM

"jps" wrote in message
[...]

The unemployment rate is determined by surveying households. The other
figure is determined by sampling certain businesses. If you sample
households, and the results tell you there were fewer people unemployed in
August than in July, then why do the businesses report a cut in payrolls by
93,000? Simple...that survey ignores small business. Small business is
beginning to hire in pretty large numbers. If the surveyed businesses lay
off a net amount of 93,000 employees, but the unemployment rate falls, then
that means these employees are being absorbed into the job market in small
businesses not accounted for in the original survey. "Unemployment rate" is
the key figure...

I just had an interesting conversation with my dad this evening. He works
for a manufacturing company that supplies the airline industry.
Me: "How's business?"
Dad: "Had a terrible week"
Me: "Sales down?"
Dad: "No...up."
Me: "Why the bad week?"
Dad: "Our productivity is maxed out, and we can't get the product made and
out the door fast enough."
Me: "Why doesn't your manufacturing plant hire more people?"
Dad: "The plant managers want to see some more hard data showing that the
economy is improving."
Me: "Don't they know about all the orders they've been having trouble
filling?"
Dad: "Yup. But they want to make sure it's a real rebound that's taking
place before they hire back everyone they had laid off."
Me: "What are customers saying about you not getting product to 'em?"
Dad: "Some of the orders we had earlier in the year are getting cancelled."
Me: "But that will hurt your future sales...so your "managers" are
self-fulfilling their own prophecy that business might not be that good yet!
Better fire the managers and hire some Republicans that want the economy to
improve...not keep the obviously Democratic managers that are hoping the
economy flounders."
Dad: "I'm beginning to think that's the problem."

That's a micro example of what's also going on in the macro sense...and the
very reason that employment figures lag an increase in GDP by approximately
6 months.

NOYB September 6th 03 03:15 AM

Great Economic News: Recession is Over!

Harry is in Dreamland again. Every poll that pairs Bush against any of the
current Democratic contenders gives him a dobule digit lead. The only time
Bush is matched evenly, is when he's polled against an anonymous "Democratic
candidate". People insert their "dream candidate" into that position, and
Bush still splits evenly with the fictional super-Dem. All of this is
taking place at a time when, according to Harry, things couldn't be worse
for this country. Well, they're only going to get better over the next 14
months...and Bush will win in a landslide.

Jim September 6th 03 03:16 AM

"NOYB" wrote in message

"jps" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly! Companies do not like to lay off workers. They want to make sure that these
are not little farts in the economy they are seeing before they hire more
workers....the last thing they want is to have to lay them off because they misread the
indicators. That is why productivity is up.

An increase in employment is the last thing a growing economy always sees. But it will
come.

Thinking people understand that. People blinded by political bigotry do not.

Jim September 6th 03 03:22 AM

"NOYB" wrote in message
Harry is in Dreamland again. Every poll that pairs Bush against any of the
current Democratic contenders gives him a dobule digit lead. The only time
Bush is matched evenly, is when he's polled against an anonymous "Democratic
candidate". People insert their "dream candidate" into that position, and
Bush still splits evenly with the fictional super-Dem. All of this is
taking place at a time when, according to Harry, things couldn't be worse
for this country. Well, they're only going to get better over the next 14
months...and Bush will win in a landslide.

And people ask why Hillary is not in it....she knows she does not stand a chance. She
would most likely win the Democratic primary if she got into the race. The fact that
she does not is a good indicator of how strong of a lead GWB has right now.

NOYB September 6th 03 03:33 AM

Great Economic News: Recession is Over!

Hillary is treading water right now, waiting for a time when she thinks she
might actually have a chance. Right now, she thinks 2008 is that time. Of
course she wrote off 2004. She knows Bush is unbeatable. He's affable, and
that's the main trait in politics that keeps guys in office.

I can't wait to see Jeb crush her 2008, though.

Mark Browne September 6th 03 03:50 AM

Great Economic News: Recession is Over!

"NOYB" wrote in message
snip

All of this is taking place at a time when, according to Harry, things

couldn't be worse for this country.
Well, they're only going to get better over the next 14 months...and Bush

will win in a landslide.

As you like to say, I put this in a storage folder. We can come back to this
after the election.

Mark Browne

Mark Browne September 6th 03 03:52 AM

"NOYB" wrote in message
Hillary is treading water right now, waiting for a time when she thinks

she
might actually have a chance. Right now, she thinks 2008 is that time.

Of
course she wrote off 2004. She knows Bush is unbeatable. He's affable,

and
that's the main trait in politics that keeps guys in office.

I can't wait to see Jeb crush her 2008, though.

snip
Again, into a storage folder. We can pull it out in 2008 and see how you
did.

Mark Browne