BoatBanter.com

-   -   "Boat" telescope (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/97235-boat-telescope.html)

[email protected] August 21st 08 06:26 PM

"Boat" telescope

My daughter is sick so I have to stay home if she needs me. There is
light rain from Fay so no working on the boat.

So..........start a project I have been planning, a boat telescope.

I like casual astronomy just a little better than 7X50 binocs and I
know about optics and ground a telescope mirror when I was a kid. So,
this project is a 4" diameter mirror of only 20" focal length and low
magnification for very wide field of view.
After 1st half hour of rough grinding, I have a definite bowl in the
mirror.

Eisboch August 21st 08 06:30 PM

"Boat" telescope

wrote in message
My daughter is sick so I have to stay home if she needs me. There is
light rain from Fay so no working on the boat.

So..........start a project I have been planning, a boat telescope.

I like casual astronomy just a little better than 7X50 binocs and I
know about optics and ground a telescope mirror when I was a kid. So,
this project is a 4" diameter mirror of only 20" focal length and low
magnification for very wide field of view.
After 1st half hour of rough grinding, I have a definite bowl in the
mirror.

Put that aside and build a miniature version of this instead:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...or_000924.html

Eisboch