BoatBanter.com

-   -   "Charger" rage (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/96848-charger-rage.html)

[email protected] August 9th 08 02:24 AM

"Charger" rage

I am looking for the charger for my handheld VHF and in looking I find
14 other chargers to various things, most of which I 'll never figure
out. This is insane. Why cant we have a single universal charger.
Th desk next to me is covered with a spagetti of chargers.
OK, you EEs, can I build a single charger that senses the proper
charging voltage and rate for most low voltage things (below 12 V)?

[email protected] August 9th 08 02:30 AM

"Charger" rage

On Aug 8, 9:24*pm, wrote:
I am looking for the charger for my handheld VHF and in looking I find
14 other chargers to various things, most of which I 'll never figure
out. *This is insane. *Why cant we have a single universal charger.
Th desk next to me is covered with a spagetti of chargers.
OK, you EEs, can I build a single charger that senses the proper
charging voltage and rate for most low voltage things (below 12 V)?

Voltage maybe, and still I doubt it, but amps would be the killer.

Eisboch August 9th 08 03:55 AM

"Charger" rage

wrote in message
I am looking for the charger for my handheld VHF and in looking I find
14 other chargers to various things, most of which I 'll never figure
out. This is insane. Why cant we have a single universal charger.
Th desk next to me is covered with a spagetti of chargers.
OK, you EEs, can I build a single charger that senses the proper
charging voltage and rate for most low voltage things (below 12 V)?

Not to be a wise ass, but Google is your friend. Your biggest problem is
that all purpose chargers for nickel based batteries don't work well with
lithium ion batteries and visa versa. If you have rechargeable items that
contain one or the other battery type, you may be able to reduce the number
of chargers to .... two.

Here's one for nickel based batteries:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=3331

and here's one for Li-ion type batteries:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=3366

Eisboch