HK HK is offline

Default Speaking of beautiful images...

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 21:11:36 -0400, HK wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 20:09:51 -0400, HK wrote:
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
http://www.swsports.org/images/Movies/Beautiful.wmv
Noisy at idle. Seriously. Nice ****er, though.
Please feel free to post a video of yours at idle.
Assuming that you actually have a Yamaha that is. :)
I don't own a video camera.
Give it up guys................

This whole thing of 'mine is bigger than yours' is getting old.

But...my motor is smaller than his...not bigger.
And it makes less noise...not more!

Prove it.

Speaking of proof, I just checked the Evinrude site and could not find a
link that took me to the dozens of motor and boat test reports you can
find on the Mercury and Yamaha sites. The Evinrude site has lots of
pop-ups and hyperbole, but not the kind of hard information that helps a
potential buyer evaluate performance and fuel economy.

Can you provide the link there I couldn't find...appreciate it...

wrote:
[...]

Maybe you should try again. There's all kinds of comparison data.

HK HK is offline

wrote:
[...]

Yeah? In a non-hyperbolic format? I don't mean the sort of
unsubstantiated claims about "service." I mean, charts that show a
particular boat, with all its measurements and weights, air temp of the
day, what gear is on the boat, how many crew, how much fuel, what prop,
and the readouts of RPM, speed, fuel burn through the operational range
of the engine.

I couldn't find that link on the Evinrude site. If you can, please let
me know what it is.

Yamaha and Mercury provide the data...on the Yamaha site, it looks like
this:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ous/angler.jpg

Where are the similar pages on the Evinrude site?

wrote:
[...]

Maybe you should try again. *There's all kinds of comparison data.- Hide quoted text -

Please, you know he is only trolling, you have been here long enough.
If you must address him, please be kind enough to snip, snip, snip..
Most here agreed not to engage any trolls a few weeks back, and things
have been much better. If you read back over a couple days of posts,
you will see nothing but the usual attacks and trolls from this
puppet, you will also notice no one at all but you responding...

Join the fight against curtain climbers, don't look, don't react, and
don't get sucked in.. thanks.
HK HK is offline

wrote:

wrote:
[...]

So...you don't have any manufacturer's performance chart data that might
be used for comparison, either, hey, boy? You'll be a welcome addition
to the dregs of rec.boats, too.

On Fri, 13 Jun 08, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
http://www.swsports.org/images/Movies/Beautiful.wmv

You can't fool me! That's a white Yamaha with an Evinrude decal on it.
I can hear the valves clattering!! Check the dipstick and get some
oil in the damn thing before you burn it up! LoL!

Rick

HK wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Evinrude has a very similar data sheet on their web site, they actually
compare the same data between them and Mercury and Yamaha, all of them
side by side. The one I saw was for the 225 hp, and is Bullitin # PE333
HK HK is offline

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
HK wrote:

wrote:
[...]

D'oh.

Yes, Reggie, I know. If you keep digging and digging and digging, you
can find some. I think I know why. Evinrude is busy making all manner of
outrageous claims for its eTecs, but when it comes to supplying data,
you really have to dig for it on its site. I think that is deliberate.

The report on the eTec 150 I found, on a boat that weighs about the same
as mine, and is about the same length and width, shows performance and
fuel usage results about the same as mine, and the reports I found for
boats I have some knowledge of showed the eTec's produced results
virtually no different than motors from other manufacturers.

Which has been my point from the very beginning...that eTecs do not
violate the laws of thermodynamics...a 150 hp or a 200 hp modern,
high-tech outboard, two cycle or four cycle, produces pretty similar
results, and that the claims of astonishing performace for eTecs
are...bullship.

The only surprise I've had so far is on that video of Tom's eTec at
idle. It seems to be significantly noisier at idle than my old Yamaha
F225 or my current Yamaha F150, but there are too many variables and
unknowns involved here for me to draw conclusions.

Good googling on your part, Reggie. I suppose it still is a valid
substitute for you to actually owning a boat.

HK HK is offline

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 10:36:16 -0400, Reginald P. Smithers III penned
the following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

HK wrote:

wrote:
[...]

In spite of Evinrude's claims, no fuel system provides increased power
and better fuel consumption.... by definition. You increase power by
burning more fuel in the engine.... either by supercharging, larger
valves, tuned intake and/or headers, increased engine size, etc....
but you can't get something for nothing.

Efficiency is another matter.... if they have somehow increased the
efficiency of the engine, maybe, but I've seen no claims to this
effect, nor have I seen any science to suggest that such a dramatic
improvement has been accomplished. (Where are the copy cats?)

Part of the magic, suggested by Etec's own figures, is that they under
rate their engine's horsepower, while other manufacturers tend to
overrate horsepower. The net result is comparing apples and
oranges.... or put differently, marketing hype.

Another often overlooked item is that with a 4-stroke vs. a 2-stroke
you can reclaim a lot of space onboard the boat when you remove the
weight and clutter involved in the VRO tanks and oiling system. I'm
also not burning as much as $.58 per gallon of fuel in 2-cycle oil
(50:1) .

When I dropped the 2-stroke Yamahas in favor of the 4-stroke Suzukis,
the engines weighed less, I gained a lot of space in the transom
locker, I lost the combined weight of the oiling systems, got better
fuel economy, didn't have to buy any more 2-cycle oil (retail
$67.50/2.5 gal.), and got a quieter running engine.

As suspected, I lost some performance, but again, you can't get
something for nothing! Works for me!

I've seen some 'Zuke repowers lately, a lot more 'Zukes than I've ever
seen eTecs out on the water, and they seem very nice. A few of my Parker
brethern have repowered with Suzuki four strokes.

The 300 hp 'Zuke is being targeted by some owners of 25' Parkers as a
replacement for a single F225. It weighs a lot less, apparently, than
the new Yamaha F300/F350.

'Zuke still seems to have problems setting up a network of strong
dealers, though.

HK wrote:
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I thought you were ignoring me?

Some images... basskisser General 0 December 1st 06 02:00 PM
Some images... Stan (the Man) General 0 December 1st 06 01:20 PM
Images of Cruising...... [email protected] General 5 November 23rd 05 04:18 PM
Images of Cruising...... Wayne.B General 1 November 22nd 05 03:52 PM