BoatBanter.com

-   -   Braided line... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/94690-braided-line.html)

John H.[_4_] May 20th 08 09:35 PM

Braided line...

Anyone here use it for fishing? If so, what knots do you use that are quick
to tie and hold well with the braided line. I've always been partial to the
palomar knot, but it requires a loop over the hook or lure. Sometimes
that's not possible, such as when tieing lures to a triple swivel.
--
John *H*

HK May 20th 08 09:48 PM

Braided line...

John H. wrote:
Anyone here use it for fishing? If so, what knots do you use that are quick
to tie and hold well with the braided line. I've always been partial to the
palomar knot, but it requires a loop over the hook or lure. Sometimes
that's not possible, such as when tieing lures to a triple swivel.

I use nothing but braided line on my casting and spinning rigs.

D.Duck[_2_] May 20th 08 09:53 PM

Braided line...

"John H." wrote in message
Anyone here use it for fishing? If so, what knots do you use that are
quick
to tie and hold well with the braided line. I've always been partial to
the
palomar knot, but it requires a loop over the hook or lure. Sometimes
that's not possible, such as when tieing lures to a triple swivel.
--
John *H*

Check out the braid knot he

http://www.bassresource.com/fish/knots.html

I've been using it for years with good success.

JimH[_2_] May 20th 08 09:57 PM

Braided line...

On May 20, 4:53 pm, "D.Duck" wrote:

I've been using it for years with good success.

I third that!

John H.[_4_] May 20th 08 10:02 PM

Braided line...

On Tue, 20 May 2008 16:53:04 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .
Anyone here use it for fishing? If so, what knots do you use that are
quick
to tie and hold well with the braided line. I've always been partial to
the
palomar knot, but it requires a loop over the hook or lure. Sometimes
that's not possible, such as when tieing lures to a triple swivel.
--
John *H*

Check out the braid knot he

http://www.bassresource.com/fish/knots.html

I've been using it for years with good success.

That one looks easy enough, and can be used where the palomar can't.

Thanks.
--
John *H*

HK May 20th 08 10:02 PM

Braided line...

JimH wrote:
On May 20, 4:53 pm, "D.Duck" wrote:

I've been using it for years with good success.

I third that!

I changed brands this year, or at least I have started to change brands.
I'm trying a new (for me) braid on three rigs, the other four I use
regularly still have fireline on them.

Vic Smith May 22nd 08 12:06 AM

Braided line...

On Tue, 20 May 2008 16:53:04 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .
Anyone here use it for fishing? If so, what knots do you use that are
quick
to tie and hold well with the braided line. I've always been partial to
the
palomar knot, but it requires a loop over the hook or lure. Sometimes
that's not possible, such as when tieing lures to a triple swivel.
--
John *H*

Check out the braid knot he

http://www.bassresource.com/fish/knots.html

I've been using it for years with good success.

A lot of fisherman don't pay enough attention to knots.
Fishing with my dad about 40 years ago, he lost a number of big
Northerns when his line broke. He was saying Damn!, then showing
me the curled end of the broken mono line, which made it evident it
had broken at the knot. My dad fished every minute he could and
everywhere he could since he was a pup.
Not too long after that I ran across an article about knots in a
fishing magazine where they had actually tested a variety of knots
with mono using calibrated lab gear.
The improved clinch knot - which I had never even heard of - tested to
about 95% of the test strength of the line. It was way ahead of any
other knot.
I razzed my dad about ME teaching HIM a knot, but he picked it right
up and never had that problem again.
Since I've used it I've never had an improved clinch knot break or
pull out.
Sometime later I saw an article by the same writer on the "new"
improved clinch knot, which is the same but doubles the line first so
you have two tag ends to snip. The article said it added a couple pct
points to the strength. I don't bother with that as it makes a bigger
knot and picks up weeds easier.
Those were the only two times that I saw the knots measured
scientifically.
That's the same as the "braided" knot in the link, except for number
of turns.
Five turns has always worked for me, and I was surprised to see them
using eight. I always assumed that mono would slip easier than
braided. I use five turns with mono or braided.
The only reason I use braided is to keep my favorite reel, a
baitcaster, happy..
I've been using Fireline for some years since the cotton braided rots
fast. At first I felt like I was cheating, but since not one fish
called me out on it, I got over that.
I can't figure out that "Palomar" knot from the picture, and would
have to tie it to understand it, but unless I see a scientific test
showing it's better than the improved clinch knot I'll keep using the
improved. Only one knot to think about and I can tie it blindfolded.
I even use it on the spool.

--Vic

[email protected] May 22nd 08 12:17 AM

Braided line...

On May 21, 7:06*pm, Vic Smith wrote:

Five turns has always worked for me, and I was surprised to see them
using eight. *I always assumed that mono would slip easier than
braided. *I use five turns with mono or braided.
The only reason I use braided is to keep my favorite reel, a
baitcaster, happy..
I've been using Fireline for some years since the cotton braided rots
fast. *At first I felt like I was cheating, but since not one fish
called me out on it, I got over that.

According to Teddy down at Chimney Point it's not 8 turns, it's 7 and
one for luck... ;) Anyway, my line choices have been restricted since
my eyes went to poop. Used to use nice clear line, now I have to use
this bright colored yellow stuff just to know if I am actually
fishing;)

D.Duck[_2_] May 22nd 08 12:39 AM

Braided line...

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 May 2008 16:53:04 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm surprised that the new "super lines" like Fireline do not slip for you
using the improved clinch knot.

The first time I loaded up with one of the super lines about 35 years ago I
tied on a 10 inch Suick using the improved clinch and on the first cast the
Suick went really flying as the knot slipped.

Been using the Palomar ever since. Still use the improved clinch or
sometimes the Palomar with light weight mono and jigs or the like.

That's my experience.

Vic Smith May 22nd 08 01:03 AM

Braided line...

On Wed, 21 May 2008 16:17:12 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

According to Teddy down at Chimney Point it's not 8 turns, it's 7 and
one for luck... ;) Anyway, my line choices have been restricted since
my eyes went to poop. Used to use nice clear line, now I have to use
this bright colored yellow stuff just to know if I am actually
fishing;)

Hey, that's why I learned to do it blindfolded. Actually night
fishing. Now the trouble is my fingers can't feel too well, so that
doesn't work either!
I keep a pair of cheap magnifying eyeglasses in my tackle box now.

--Vic