Default Open Bow vs Cuddy Cabin

Hi,

As a first time buyer I’ve come across some important questions and
wanted to solicit some expert opinions. I live in Ohio and will be
boating often on Lake Erie. My wife and I are in the buying process
and are at a cross roads as to whether we should get an Open Bow or a
Cuddy, has anyone been in this position before and if so could you
offer some advice?

We are looking to entertain on this boat and do some skiing along with
fishing.

I should note that we do not plan on sleeping on the boat often if at
all and the boat size we are looking at is 22-25’.

Thank you for your help!

--
Posted at author's request, using fully moderated http://www.BoatingForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.BoatingForumz.com/Open-Bo...pict98265.html

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 07:22:39 GMT, GoBrowns wrote:

Hi,

As a first time buyer I’ve come across some important questions and
wanted to solicit some expert opinions. I live in Ohio and will be
boating often on Lake Erie. My wife and I are in the buying process
and are at a cross roads as to whether we should get an Open Bow or a
Cuddy, has anyone been in this position before and if so could you
offer some advice?

We are looking to entertain on this boat and do some skiing along with
fishing.

I should note that we do not plan on sleeping on the boat often if at
all and the boat size we are looking at is 22-25’.

Thank you for your help!

Cuddy - in particular if you have wimmenz on board. Better to have a
place to sit down rather than hang off the side when nature calls.
Plus, in most cuddys in that class boat have some sort of
refigeration and service amenities - like a small alcohol/gas stove
and minor couner space. In the 25' class, you might even have a
seperate head.

The wimmez will appreciate the head the most. :)

Small cuddies are worthless as tits on a boar hog in my opinion. They just
end up being big storage areas. No one wants to ride in there so you're
just sacrificing passenger space that you would have had with an open bow.
If you want to entertain that means other couples. Everyone will want to
sit outside when the boat is moving. When the boat is sitting still the
cuddy is too hot to stay in anyway. When you're doing water sports everyone
not on the rope wants to watch. Can't watch from the cuddy. Think about
it, who is really going to want to spend any time in the cuddy. If you
really think you need bathroom space there are bowriders in your length
requirement that have small enclosed privacy areas between the main
passenger area and the bow. My experience is that everyone is in a bathing
suit and just jumps in the lake to pee.

"GoBrowns" wrote in message
news:359632_c23431da8c3316fe6a225a9e24b38592@boati ngforumz.com...
[...]

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 07:23:31 -0400, "jamesgangnc"
wrote:

My experience is that everyone is in a bathing
suit and just jumps in the lake to pee

Um....I don't know about that. Mrs. Wave isn't that proletarian. I
suspect that most other women, what with their unique
physiologies/anatomies and moments of periodic infirmities (like the
way I put that?) would prefer not to jump into the lake to perform
bodily functions.

Privacy curtains aren't an answer either for obvious reasons.

I think in his case, cuddy is probably the only way to go.

wrote:

My experience is that everyone is in a bathing
suit and just jumps in the lake to pee

Um....I don't know about that. Mrs. Wave isn't that proletarian. I
suspect that most other women, what with their unique
physiologies/anatomies and moments of periodic infirmities (like the
way I put that?) would prefer not to jump into the lake to perform
bodily functions.

Privacy curtains aren't an answer either for obvious reasons.

I think in his case, cuddy is probably the only way to go.

I'm not talking about curtains, there are bow riders in the plus 20ft size
that have created small "privacy" spaces to one side between the main
passenger area and the bow. Hard walled with a door. Just enough space for
a potty without wasting space. If all you really need is bathroom space
this is obviously the way to go.

The majority of the small cuddies in use that I have been aboard have simply
been a big ski locker/junk storage. You want to sacrifice a third of the
boat to be a bathroom. In that size range they are just hot and cramped.

Certainly depends on the age group and the personal level of sports
activities. But the crowd we move in doesn't mind getting wet. If you're
going to ski, wakeboard, or tube then you're getting in the water.

HK HK is offline

wrote:

My experience is that everyone is in a bathing
suit and just jumps in the lake to pee

Um....I don't know about that. Mrs. Wave isn't that proletarian. I
suspect that most other women, what with their unique
physiologies/anatomies and moments of periodic infirmities (like the
way I put that?) would prefer not to jump into the lake to perform
bodily functions.

Privacy curtains aren't an answer either for obvious reasons.

I think in his case, cuddy is probably the only way to go.

I agree. Lake Erie water is presently 42 degrees and does not warm up for
swimming until the end of June.

You just don't see many bowriders on Lake Erie. They are more for inland
lake use.

What's the usual water temp of Erie in the summer months in your area?
HK HK is offline

JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

My experience is that everyone is in a bathing
suit and just jumps in the lake to pee
Um....I don't know about that. Mrs. Wave isn't that proletarian. I
suspect that most other women, what with their unique
physiologies/anatomies and moments of periodic infirmities (like the
way I put that?) would prefer not to jump into the lake to perform
bodily functions.

Privacy curtains aren't an answer either for obvious reasons.

I think in his case, cuddy is probably the only way to go.
I agree. Lake Erie water is presently 42 degrees and does not warm up
for swimming until the end of June.

You just don't see many bowriders on Lake Erie. They are more for inland
lake use.

What's the usual water temp of Erie in the summer months in your area?

Mid 60's by mid June and mid 70's by the 1st of August. It stays in the
70's until about the 1st of October.

Thanks. I'd never get my wife to stick her toe in the water there even
in August...southern belle that she is. But the 70s was what I grew up
with swimming in Long Island Sound in the Connecticut summers.
HK HK is offline

JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

[...]

Any warmer than that and the water feels like bathwater to me.

Yeah, the first time my wife took me swimming down in St. Augustine, I
thought...man, all I need are carrots and onions and I could make soup
out of this ocean water.

But you get used to it. Virginia Beach is as about far north for beach
swimming as we prefer these days. Very high 70's in the summer, plus a
hot wind and it's usually ok for us.

Virginia Beach is a great place to visit, btw, especially if you avoid
the crowded areas. It used to be a dumpy seaside resort, but in the last
20 years, the city fathers have spent hundreds of millions on cleanup
and amenities, and now strictly enforce traffic control, public drinking
laws, et cetera, so the people you don't want to see on a vacation
mostly go elsewhere.

Here's a site with lots of touristy photos:

http://photos.igougo.com/pictures-l1...ch_photos.html

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:51:21 -0400, "jamesgangnc"

.. .
wrote:

[...]

JimH makes a great point although to be fair, we don't know where the
original poster is planning on running his boat. You make a good
point with respect to inland lakes where the water temp is up, but you
sure as hell don't want to be doing that in the North Atlantic often.

I think you under estimate the feminine component in all this. Then
again, if he's running inland, there may be facilities available
within a short distance.

With respect to cuddys, I respectfully disagree.

On Apr 22, 10:24*am, "JimH" wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
news:MNednU2WQ46LdpDVnZ2dnUVZ_vadnZ2d@comcast. com...
news:1pmr04pk9g2oorf2le492ns3t4j2g5vtht@4ax. com...
wrote:

[...]

We spent time in Virginia Beach a couple of times visiting with with my BIL
when he was a Commander of an air craft carrier stationed out of Norfolk.
Lots of things to do down there.- Hide quoted text -

Your lies are getting almost as bizarre as Harry's.