BoatBanter.com

-   -   Safety Alert From Boat US (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/93814-safety-alert-boat-us.html)

Wayne.B April 16th 08 11:09 PM

Safety Alert From Boat US

The April edition of the Boat US publication "Seaworthy" has a safety
alert on page 5 that may be applicable to some of us. They recommend
that boats with low transoms always be docked stern first, i.e., with
the bow facing outwards. Apparently there have been a number of
incidents where boats sank in their slips as a result of waves
breaking over the transom in wind storms.

HK April 17th 08 12:23 AM

Safety Alert From Boat US

Wayne.B wrote:
The April edition of the Boat US publication "Seaworthy" has a safety
alert on page 5 that may be applicable to some of us. They recommend
that boats with low transoms always be docked stern first, i.e., with
the bow facing outwards. Apparently there have been a number of
incidents where boats sank in their slips as a result of waves
breaking over the transom in wind storms.

Virtually every "slipped" boat at the marina I use the most is docked
stern first. And that's true pretty much everywhere.

Nice try at a troll, though, f.n.

Calif Bill April 17th 08 05:51 AM

Safety Alert From Boat US

"HK" wrote in message
. ..
Wayne.B wrote:
The April edition of the Boat US publication "Seaworthy" has a safety
alert on page 5 that may be applicable to some of us. They recommend
that boats with low transoms always be docked stern first, i.e., with
the bow facing outwards. Apparently there have been a number of
incidents where boats sank in their slips as a result of waves
breaking over the transom in wind storms.

Virtually every "slipped" boat at the marina I use the most is docked
stern first. And that's true pretty much everywhere.

Nice try at a troll, though, f.n.

I see very few boats docked stern first around here. The sunk boat was a
bow first boat in SF Bay.

HK April 17th 08 11:20 AM

Safety Alert From Boat US

Calif Bill wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
Wayne.B wrote:
The April edition of the Boat US publication "Seaworthy" has a safety
alert on page 5 that may be applicable to some of us. They recommend
that boats with low transoms always be docked stern first, i.e., with
the bow facing outwards. Apparently there have been a number of
incidents where boats sank in their slips as a result of waves
breaking over the transom in wind storms.

Virtually every "slipped" boat at the marina I use the most is docked
stern first. And that's true pretty much everywhere.

Nice try at a troll, though, f.n.

I see very few boats docked stern first around here. The sunk boat was a
bow first boat in SF Bay.

There must be some explanation for you left coast guys, but I don't know
what it is! :)

Wayne.B April 17th 08 01:26 PM

Safety Alert From Boat US

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:51:16 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

Nice try at a troll, though, f.n.

I see very few boats docked stern first around here. The sunk boat was a
bow first boat in SF Bay.

You must be a "f.n." also, whatever that is.

:-)