BoatBanter.com

-   -   Gas Tank Question? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/91180-gas-tank-question.html)

Dick February 21st 08 05:04 AM

Gas Tank Question?

I purchased a plastic 3 gal tank that doesn't have the fitting for the fuel
line. Before I thread the fitting into the tank, what do I use for a sealer?
Can I use teflon tape or do I need something else?

Thank you in advance!

jamesgangnc February 21st 08 12:04 PM

Gas Tank Question?

You really need to get a nut behind it if you're thinking that you are just
going to tap a hole in the plastic. I doubt you'll find a spot thick enough
to really hold.

Short Wave Sportfishing February 21st 08 12:05 PM

Gas Tank Question?

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 05:04:19 GMT, "Dick"
wrote:

I purchased a plastic 3 gal tank that doesn't have the fitting for the fuel
line. Before I thread the fitting into the tank, what do I use for a sealer?
Can I use teflon tape or do I need something else?

Thank you in advance!

Telfon tape wil do fine just don't use a lot of it.

These fitting are usually tapered.

[email protected] February 21st 08 01:17 PM

Gas Tank Question?

On Feb 21, 12:04*am, "Dick" wrote:
I purchased a plastic 3 gal tank that doesn't have the fitting for the fuel
line. Before I thread the fitting into the tank, what do I use for a sealer?
Can I use teflon tape or do I need something else?

Thank you in advance!

Do as Shortwave said and you'll be fine. Again, don't use too much.
Too much and too tight will break the plastic pipe fitting so go easy.
Because of that, I use the paste type of teflon pipe dope for plastic
fittings.

[email protected] February 21st 08 02:09 PM

Gas Tank Question?

On Feb 21, 8:36*am, wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 05:17:41 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Feb 21, 12:04*am, "Dick" wrote:
I purchased a plastic 3 gal tank that doesn't have the fitting for the fuel
line. Before I thread the fitting into the tank, what do I use for a sealer?
Can I use teflon tape or do I need something else?

Thank you in advance!

Do as Shortwave said and you'll be fine. Again, don't use too much.
Too much and too tight will break the plastic pipe fitting so go easy.
Because of that, I use the paste type of teflon pipe dope for plastic
fittings.

Is it fuel proof?

Fittings on plastic tanks are usually spun welded in place.

Yes, it's fuel proof. What I've seen on all of my portable plastic
tanks is a plastic ell already in the tank. This ell is a female pipe
thread. This receives the proper connector for your type of motor,
Merc, Yam, Evinrude, etc.