Default How much motor does a 12' fg need?

I have a 12' fiberglass boat that is rated for "up to 14 hp". What's
a practical size outboard for this boat? Should I go for the max or
what? Thanks,
-Paul

"Paul G." wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 12' fiberglass boat that is rated for "up to 14 hp". What's
a practical size outboard for this boat? Should I go for the max or
what? Thanks,
-Paul

I've got a 14' aluminum yacht rated for 25 hp, but my motor's 15 hp. I can
hit 22 mph on flat water with two adults on board. The boat itself weighs
about 400 lbs. Check your boat's weight and that should give you a useful
guideline.

Also consider who will be in the boat much of the time. I often fish alone,
and my motor's a tiller model. So, I'm in the stern along with the battery.
That raises the bow (affecting visibility) under certain conditions and no
amount of motor angle adjustment helps. I usually put a couple of 50 lb
sandbags in the bow. Even so, this nixed the idea of upgrading to 25 hp a
few years back. That, and the fact that flat water almost never happens
around here.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Paul G." wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

A while back here, people would buy a 9.9 hp outboards to avoid the need to
license their boat.
I have a 25 hp on a 14' 6" aluminum boat now and found the licensing
procedure to be free and relatively painless.

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 16:08:14 -0400, "Don White"
wrote:

I have a 25 hp on a 14' 6" aluminum boat now and found the licensing
procedure to be free and relatively painless.

No kidding - do tell.

A nice looking boat I assume?

wrote:

I have a 25 hp on a 14' 6" aluminum boat now and found the licensing
procedure to be free and relatively painless.

No kidding - do tell.

A nice looking boat I assume?

Absolutely gorgeous!
I finally drained the old gear oil and replaced it this afternoon.
I tried to use my Evinrude/Johnson grease gun on the 3 nipples but the
grease didn't seem to come out. I took the gun inside to fiddle with it and
think I just have to make sure the 'plunger' is in as far as possible before
pumping away. I'll try again.
The battery is out and in the shed. I may do a load test on it in the
spring to see if it can hold a charge for any length of time.
Looked into the six cells and the fluid level is topped up
(I'll top up with the trickle charger on a monthly basis over the off
season)
There was 3 or 4 inches of water in the plastic 'battery box'. I'll keep
an eye on that next season.
I'll have to pick up a thin walled, deep 13/16th socket for the spark plugs.
The lower one was especially awkward with my open/box end wrench.
I also have to jack up and block the trailer frame, remove the two wheels
and spare for shed storage and build a frame for my tarps.
I'm still wishy/washy about leaving the motor on the *low* transom or to
remove it for a nice comfy spot in one of my sheds.

wrote:

I have a 25 hp on a 14' 6" aluminum boat now and found the licensing
procedure to be free and relatively painless.

No kidding - do tell.

A nice looking boat I assume?

Not really, no glitter stripe. ;)

wrote:

I have a 25 hp on a 14' 6" aluminum boat now and found the licensing
procedure to be free and relatively painless.

No kidding - do tell.

A nice looking boat I assume?

Nah, it was a POS, that he paid way too much for.

"Don White" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Paul G." wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I don't know if licensing is related to horsepower here, but there's one
lake where there's a 10 hp limit. My dealer has repeatedly offered to get me
a different decal for my motor, since (according to him), the only diff
between the 10 and the 15 hp motors is the carb.

"Don White" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Paul G." wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

My 14' boat with 15 hp was automatically covered under my State Farm home
owners policy. My check on the HP limits for coverage.

"Don White" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Paul G." wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I saw Christmas decorations for sale today at CVS.

Old Motor versus New Motor (outboard) Gil Boat Building 4 November 3rd 07 07:52 AM
Converting pull cord motor into an electric start motor OldReliable General 1 December 18th 06 06:25 AM
meadows 100hp diesel marine motor (or industrial motor) Telepoint Cruising 0 June 22nd 05 12:28 AM
meadows 100hp diesel marine motor (or industrial motor) Telepoint General 0 June 22nd 05 12:28 AM