BoatBanter.com

-   -   Turbo Diesel Outboards (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/87403-turbo-diesel-outboards.html)

HK October 26th 07 03:25 AM

Turbo Diesel Outboards

http://www.megoutboard.com/index.html

One look and you just know they're not coming from some scrap yard in
Australia!

Short Wave Sportfishing October 26th 07 11:21 AM

Turbo Diesel Outboards

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 22:25:15 -0400, HK wrote:

http://www.megoutboard.com/index.html

One look and you just know they're not coming from some scrap yard in
Australia!

Based on their specs, at 723 pounds, it's roughly 200 pounds heavier
than a Yamaha 225 (note I said roughly), but they are claiming similar
performance - I'd sacrifice the extra pounds for the diesel
capability.

I wonder if they are in production or ever will be?

Gene Kearns October 26th 07 04:21 PM

Turbo Diesel Outboards

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:21:49 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 22:25:15 -0400, HK wrote:
|

|http://www.megoutboard.com/index.html
|
|One look and you just know they're not coming from some scrap yard in
|Australia!
|
|Based on their specs, at 723 pounds, it's roughly 200 pounds heavier
|than a Yamaha 225 (note I said roughly), but they are claiming similar
|performance - I'd sacrifice the extra pounds for the diesel
|capability.
|
|I wonder if they are in production or ever will be?

I think I would seriously consider one, as long as it wasn't made in
Oz....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
-----------------
-----------------

Josh Assing October 26th 07 07:41 PM

Turbo Diesel Outboards

I would wait to see how they do in the long run -- deisels do great at lower
speeds, crappy at full throttle for longevity....

Neat idea, I'll wait to see how they do over time...

Eisboch October 26th 07 08:18 PM

Turbo Diesel Outboards

"Josh Assing" wrote in message

I would wait to see how they do in the long run -- deisels do great at
lower
speeds, crappy at full throttle for longevity....

Not exactly true with more modern engines. The manufacturer of my diesels
(Volvo) recommends running them at 200 RPM below WOT RPM, which in my case
is 2800 RPM and they are not the most modern engines around. It is also
recommended that they be run for 10 -15 minutes at full throttle following
several hours of slow speed operation.

What remains true is that diesels perform best at a fixed RPM, although they
are doing better. Another vote for diesel/electric systems.

These ain't your grandfather's diesels.

Eisboch

[email protected] October 26th 07 08:34 PM

Turbo Diesel Outboards

On Oct 26, 2:41 pm, Josh Assing wrote:
I would wait to see how they do in the long run -- deisels do great at lower
speeds, crappy at full throttle for longevity....

Neat idea, I'll wait to see how they do over time...

Not anymore! Diesel technology has come a long, long way!

DownTime October 28th 07 01:38 PM

Turbo Diesel Outboards

HK wrote:

http://www.megoutboard.com/index.html

One look and you just know they're not coming from some scrap yard in
Australia!

Looking at the 'Contact US', they are in my 'hood. I might try to stop
by some day and take a look, if they'll let me.

HK October 28th 07 01:38 PM

Turbo Diesel Outboards

DownTime wrote:
HK wrote:

http://www.megoutboard.com/index.html

One look and you just know they're not coming from some scrap yard in
Australia!

Looking at the 'Contact US', they are in my 'hood. I might try to stop
by some day and take a look, if they'll let me.

I wonder if they actually have a working prototype.
I mean, a real working prototype, not a Yamaha hiding under
a repainted hood. :}

Tim October 28th 07 06:03 PM

Turbo Diesel Outboards

On Oct 25, 9:25 pm, HK wrote:
http://www.megoutboard.com/index.html

One look and you just know they're not coming from some scrap yard in
Australia!

looks like a good idea to me, that is if you need an outboard.

I think it's a pretty good alternative for fuel economy