Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
noah

Default Unexpected treat- steamboat!

On my way home from "the current job", I was driving through
(historic) Fort Ann, NY. I came to a red-light, and stopped for
on-coming traffic.

Around the corner came an SUV, towing a work-of -art.

She was shaped like an over-sized Adirondack Guide Boat. Maybe
30-35', Spruce ribs and wood planking. One-third back from the bow
point, a black boiler, the size of a 55 gallon drum, supported the
eight foot stack, and fed the single cylinder steam horse. Behind the
fireman's seat was a "covered" salon area. Seating for about eight or
ten people. The old propshaft was iron, leading to the bronze prop,
and a bronze or brass rudder the size of a garbage can lid.

It took my breath way. An old, hand-built, steam powered,
double-ender from the early days of "vacationing" in the Adirondacks.
Gorgeous.
noah