Trpfan

Default Low RPM

I have a 2003 Yamaha 60 four stroke with 8 hours runtime. The manual
says top rpm's should be between 5-6000. After the initial 3 hours at
various speeds the break in instructions said that I could go full
throttle but for only 5 minute intervals. Not once have I been able
to reach 5000 rpm. Most I ever got was 4600. My father ran the boat
two weeks ago and said it had gotten worse and could only get up to
3500. Called the dealer who told me to bring it in and it would take 2
weeks to have it looked at. I figured it must be a linkage adjustment
or maybe a problem with the controls on the console perhaps even a
prop problem. Today I call and he tells me that there was water in
the gas! This might sound normal accept that 1. the fuel filter float
was not indicating any water in the fuel, 2. accept for rpm range the
motor runs great! starts right up, no sputtering at all even when the
throttle is all the way up. 3. This is third tank of gas that I have
run through the motor so I don't see how water could get in all three
tanks. I am very suspicious that this guy is trying to charge me for
a screw up when the motor was installed. Of course the warrenty would
not cover this so I have to eat $180 for the fuel drain and to clean
out the carbs on a $8000 motor which is virtually still brand new!
Any ideas about what to do? Its my word against his but I suppose
that there is a possibility that he is correct. I am taking the boat
out for a run with him on Friday and if it runs like I expect than
great. The only problem is how can I prove that he fixed something
else and charged me for a BS water in gas problem? If there was water
in the gas wouldn't the motor operate like crap all the time??

SCUBA 11

If it is water , It would not run. Check and see if you are getting full
throtle at the carb.
F330 GT

[...]

Here's one scenerio..... You're engine is over propped or you're not trimmed
out properly so you're only getting 4600 rpms. That's your baseline engine
operating range.

Then you've got water in the gas. Water will emulsify in the gas and run
through the filter in very small droplets as you bounce around in the water.
This, in turn, will casue improper fuel burning and premature fouling of the
plugs. Then you drop some more RPMs.

So, I think it's feasible. But, you should have seen some water accumulation
in the bottom of the fuel filter. Possibly you didn't notice it?

My guess is that you'll be back at 4600 RPMs after the dealer looks at it and
then you'll have to go down in prop size probably 2 sizes. And you should add
another fuel filter/water seperator.

Let us know how it works out.

Barry