BoatBanter.com

-   -   Poor man's Air Conditioning (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/82107-poor-mans-air-conditioning.html)

RCE June 30th 07 09:39 PM

Poor man's Air Conditioning

We intended to have A/C installed in Mrs.E's boat during the layup last
winter, but things got busy and the plan was shelved, at least for a while.
With summer finally beginning to present itself and the humidity rising, I
decided to try installing a regular window A/C unit in the aft cabin access
hatch as a temporary solution. Bought a small chunk of marine plywood, cut
it to fit the hatch, sealed it with rubber strips to prevent water intrusion
and painted it white.

The acid test was two days ago with temps in the mid 90's and high humidity.
The little 10,000 BTU A/C unit was able to cool the entire boat down to a
comfortable 74 degrees.

Looks a little tacky, but it works.

http://www.eisboch.com/pangea2

Eisboch

[email protected] June 30th 07 09:45 PM

Poor man's Air Conditioning

On Jun 30, 4:39 pm, "RCE" wrote:
We intended to have A/C installed in Mrs.E's boat during the layup last
winter, but things got busy and the plan was shelved, at least for a while.
With summer finally beginning to present itself and the humidity rising, I
decided to try installing a regular window A/C unit in the aft cabin access
hatch as a temporary solution. Bought a small chunk of marine plywood, cut
it to fit the hatch, sealed it with rubber strips to prevent water intrusion
and painted it white.

The acid test was two days ago with temps in the mid 90's and high humidity.
The little 10,000 BTU A/C unit was able to cool the entire boat down to a
comfortable 74 degrees.

Looks a little tacky, but it works.

http://www.eisboch.com/pangea2

Eisboch

I think you should get a deflector off of an old jet engine and make
that heat exchanger look like a jet engine. Talk about a stern
thruster ;)

John H. June 30th 07 11:26 PM

Poor man's Air Conditioning

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 16:39:36 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

We intended to have A/C installed in Mrs.E's boat during the layup last
winter, but things got busy and the plan was shelved, at least for a while.
With summer finally beginning to present itself and the humidity rising, I
decided to try installing a regular window A/C unit in the aft cabin access
hatch as a temporary solution. Bought a small chunk of marine plywood, cut
it to fit the hatch, sealed it with rubber strips to prevent water intrusion
and painted it white.

The acid test was two days ago with temps in the mid 90's and high humidity.
The little 10,000 BTU A/C unit was able to cool the entire boat down to a
comfortable 74 degrees.

Looks a little tacky, but it works.

http://www.eisboch.com/pangea2

Eisboch

Heck, if you put some stained molding around it, it would look like it was
born there.
--
John H

Mike July 1st 07 04:21 AM

Poor man's Air Conditioning

Looks great to me! Cheaper, and prolly works just as well as a "marine" a/c
unit. Will the condensate runoff stain the deck? My guess is no since it's
essencially distilled water, but what do I know... just a thought. The A/C
on my boat is the throttle. :-)

--Mike

RCE July 1st 07 11:39 AM

Poor man's Air Conditioning

"Mike" wrote in message
. net...

Looks great to me! Cheaper, and prolly works just as well as a "marine"
a/c unit. Will the condensate runoff stain the deck? My guess is no since
it's essencially distilled water, but what do I know... just a thought.
The A/C on my boat is the throttle. :-)

--Mike

Heh. The throttle provides very little natural A/C on this boat. 7.5 kt
cruise and 9 kt WOT (running down the backside of a large wave).

The portable marine type that fits in a standard hatch (which this boat does
not have) has less BTU capacity and is around 900 bucks. A "real" water
cooled unit is double that, plus it involves installing new thru hulls,
strainers and sea cocks, plus duct work. Beyond my capability and will have
to wait until the boat is hauled.

Meanwhile, this setup's total cost was about 240 bucks (including the new
A/C) and about two hours of my time to take measurements, cut the wood,
paint, install the unit and wire a separate shore power connector for it. I
was very proud of myself as the boat's main cabin cooled down from 90
degrees to the mid 70's in a couple of hours. The aft cabin was like a
freezer.

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing July 1st 07 12:10 PM

Poor man's Air Conditioning

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 16:39:36 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

Looks a little tacky, but it works.

Dosen't look that bad, although sticking out of the window like that
makes for a few barked shins from time to time.

Not bad at all.

RCE July 1st 07 12:31 PM

Tuna! (was Poor man's Air Conditioning)

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 16:39:36 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

Looks a little tacky, but it works.

Dosen't look that bad, although sticking out of the window like that
makes for a few barked shins from time to time.

Not bad at all.

I can't believe all the tuna being caught in Cape Cod Bay this year.
Usually, it's a rare occurrence when a boat comes in with one and it usually
does not start until mid-August.
This year the fishing types have been getting 150-175 lb "footballs" on a
daily basis and have been since the beginning of June. Global warming?

I lost my lust for general fishing (cod, stripers, blues, etc.) but going
after tuna is still a thrill. The GB has the right speed, but there would
be no way to land one unless I hauled it aboard with the mast and boom.
The Navigator would actually not be bad as a tuna boat. It has a huge
molded swim platform and cockpit and a "tuna" door built into the transom.
I'd have to get one of those giant coolers to carry the ice and catch
though.

I am thinking maybe of bringing it up to Scituate for a week or two, put it
on a mooring and give the tuna fishing a try again. I'd have to get the
angler's permit renewed though but if I remember correctly, they will fax or
e-mail it to you the same day you submit the paperwork which also can be
done electronically.

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing July 1st 07 01:34 PM

Tuna! (was Poor man's Air Conditioning)

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 07:31:57 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

.. .
[...]

Yeah, it's kind of an interesting year - probably the best striper
year in the past three or four. I think it has something to do with
the closing of the EEZ around Block out to the Sub Bouy - the bait
aren't being reduced by the reduction fleet. I'm hearing reports of
really big stripers - a free diving spear fisherman took a 67 lber off
Fort Adams in Narragansett Bay a couple of weeks ago (world's record
for free diving spear by 8 pounds) and line/pole types have been
regularly reporting 40/50 pounders.

I've heard reports of tuna in Massachuetts Bay off Provincetown which
is kind of unusual and Halfway Rock off Marblehead/Beverly/Manchester
which is in range for my Ranger on a good day.

Note: I wonder if Mrs. Wave would let me buy another Contender?

HAH!!

The Federal fisheries permit can be done electronically and I think
it's still $20 - I haven't gotten one in a while.

Hey - go for it. Tuna fishing isn't a fav of mine (personally I think
tuna fishing is boring), but if you like it, do it.

Don White July 1st 07 02:13 PM

"RCE" wrote in message

[...]

The Japanese would pay a small fortune for any tuna you caught.

RCE July 1st 07 03:52 PM

Tuna! (was Poor man's Air Conditioning)

Hey - go for it. Tuna fishing isn't a fav of mine (personally I think
tuna fishing is boring), but if you like it, do it.

I just came back from Scituate. I was wrong. The tuna being caught are not
the typical smaller "footballs". These are bigger and there's always the
possibility of a giant among them. These fish have not been in Cape Cod Bay
for many years. I agree, tuna fishing can be boring sometimes until
someone on the boat yells, "Fish on!" Then all hell breaks loose.

The flounder are back also ... even in the harbor. They've been hard to
find for almost 20 years when Quincy Bay was the world's greatest flounder
area. Somthin' strange going on.

Off to the Cape to check on the Navigator Tuna Barge ....

Eisboch

Don White July 1st 07 04:18 PM

"RCE" wrote in message

Hey - go for it. Tuna fishing isn't a fav of mine (personally I think
tuna fishing is boring), but if you like it, do it.

I just came back from Scituate. I was wrong. The tuna being caught are
not the typical smaller "footballs". These are bigger and there's always
the possibility of a giant among them. These fish have not been in Cape
Cod Bay for many years. I agree, tuna fishing can be boring sometimes
until someone on the boat yells, "Fish on!" Then all hell breaks loose.

The flounder are back also ... even in the harbor. They've been hard to
find for almost 20 years when Quincy Bay was the world's greatest flounder
area. Somthin' strange going on.

Off to the Cape to check on the Navigator Tuna Barge ....

Eisboch

You hiding all our cod fish too? They must have gone somewhere!

Tim July 2nd 07 12:21 PM

Poor man's Air Conditioning

On Jun 30, 3:39 pm, "RCE" wrote:
We intended to have A/C installed in Mrs.E's boat during the layup last
winter, but things got busy and the plan was shelved, at least for a while.
With summer finally beginning to present itself and the humidity rising, I
decided to try installing a regular window A/C unit in the aft cabin access
hatch as a temporary solution. Bought a small chunk of marine plywood, cut
it to fit the hatch, sealed it with rubber strips to prevent water intrusion
and painted it white.

The acid test was two days ago with temps in the mid 90's and high humidity.
The little 10,000 BTU A/C unit was able to cool the entire boat down to a
comfortable 74 degrees.

Looks a little tacky, but it works.

http://www.eisboch.com/pangea2

Eisboch

OH! I thought you were bringing this back up...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...sskisser++ice&

D.Duck July 2nd 07 02:01 PM

Poor man's Air Conditioning

"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 30, 3:39 pm, "RCE" wrote:
[...]

You just need some ice and a cardboard box....

Tim July 2nd 07 06:35 PM

Poor man's Air Conditioning

D.Duck wrote:

OH! I thought you were bringing this back up...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...sskisser++ice&

You just need some ice and a cardboard box....

Yeah, I'm really suprised Eisboch didn't go this route. At least it
wouldn't have that gawdy window air conditioner hanging out the
back...

LOL!

Tim July 2nd 07 06:39 PM

Poor man's Air Conditioning

RCE wrote:

I was very proud of myself as the boat's main cabin cooled down from 90
degrees to the mid 70's in a couple of hours. The aft cabin was like a
freezer.

Eisboch

Richard, for more even cooling, you need a couple small fans to aid
air circulation to make the cabin temps more even.

Of course, you've probably already thought of that.

Wayne.B July 3rd 07 01:39 AM

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:52:14 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

I just came back from Scituate. I was wrong. The tuna being caught are not
the typical smaller "footballs". These are bigger and there's always the
possibility of a giant among them.

Do you know what kind of bait and technique are being used?

I've always wanted to catch a good sized tuna. We just pulled into
Stamford, CT today with the GB49 and I'm in the process of planning
out the rest of the summer.

RCE July 3rd 07 11:19 AM

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:52:14 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

I just came back from Scituate. I was wrong. The tuna being caught are
not
the typical smaller "footballs". These are bigger and there's always the
possibility of a giant among them.

Do you know what kind of bait and technique are being used?

I've always wanted to catch a good sized tuna. We just pulled into
Stamford, CT today with the GB49 and I'm in the process of planning
out the rest of the summer.

Most are using the standard artificial squid rigs. Of course, each captain
has his "special" tailer attached to entice the tuna. Others have special
bottom paint, some swear that different engine exhaust sounds attract them.
Personally, I think it's all BS.

The technique is to find a pod of tuna (watch for working birds) and
circle the pod, trolling the squid rig through it. 3-4 kts is a good
trolling speed (no problem for a GB, but the Egg I had required trolling on
one engine only).

Most of the time is spent running around, chasing the pods.

I don't have a clue how you would land it on the GB. Maybe hoist it aboard
using the mast and boom?

Good luck. If you get near Kingman Yacht Center or Scituate, give me a
yell.

Eisboch

RCE July 3rd 07 11:30 AM

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

I've always wanted to catch a good sized tuna. We just pulled into
Stamford, CT today with the GB49 and I'm in the process of planning
out the rest of the summer.

Forgot to mention the rods, reels and other gear required, plus a ton of
ice, a place to put it (and the catch). You are supposed to gut the tuna
as soon as you catch it, then immediately get it on and covered with ice,
so plan on a messy deck.

I totaled up the cost of my first and only tuna catch. Brand new 37' Egg
Harbor, three tuna rods/reels, outriggers along with other misc. gear means
I caught a tuna worth approximately $425,000.

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing July 3rd 07 11:53 AM

Tuna! (was Poor man's Air Conditioning)

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:39:14 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:52:14 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

I just came back from Scituate. I was wrong. The tuna being caught are not
the typical smaller "footballs". These are bigger and there's always the
possibility of a giant among them.

Do you know what kind of bait and technique are being used?

I've always wanted to catch a good sized tuna. We just pulled into
Stamford, CT today with the GB49 and I'm in the process of planning
out the rest of the summer.

How's everything down in Stamford?

Short Wave Sportfishing July 3rd 07 11:57 AM

Tuna! (was Poor man's Air Conditioning)

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 06:19:17 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:52:14 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

I just came back from Scituate. I was wrong. The tuna being caught are
not
the typical smaller "footballs". These are bigger and there's always the
possibility of a giant among them.

Do you know what kind of bait and technique are being used?

I've always wanted to catch a good sized tuna. We just pulled into
Stamford, CT today with the GB49 and I'm in the process of planning
out the rest of the summer.

Most are using the standard artificial squid rigs. Of course, each captain
has his "special" tailer attached to entice the tuna. Others have special
bottom paint, some swear that different engine exhaust sounds attract them.
Personally, I think it's all BS.

It is, although there is some evidence that engine vibrations do
attract some fish to the lure - the deeper the vibration in terms of
frequency, the better.

Couldn't prove it by me.

The technique is to find a pod of tuna (watch for working birds) and
circle the pod, trolling the squid rig through it. 3-4 kts is a good
trolling speed (no problem for a GB, but the Egg I had required trolling on
one engine only).

Most of the time is spent running around, chasing the pods.

Exactly and if you are in a fleet, that can become extremely amusing
to watch.

I've seen things...I've seen them with my eyes. :)

Wayne.B July 3rd 07 02:46 PM

Tuna! (was Poor man's Air Conditioning)

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 10:53:54 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

How's everything down in Stamford?

In a word, *cool*. We had our ski hats and gloves on yesterday
morning as we came up through NY harbor at 7:00AM. This morning is
very crisp and clear, should turn into a nice day later on.

The trip went pretty well, 1500 NM in 14 days, good weather for the
most part and most systems working well. I need to find a good
alternator rebuild shop in the Stamford-Norwalk area however, if you
have any suggestions.

We'll be headed "out east" towards the end of July. Perhaps we could
get together in Essex or some such.

Wayne.B July 3rd 07 02:55 PM

Tuna! (was Poor man's Air Conditioning)

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 06:19:17 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

Most are using the standard artificial squid rigs. Of course, each captain
has his "special" tailer attached to entice the tuna. Others have special
bottom paint, some swear that different engine exhaust sounds attract them.
Personally, I think it's all BS.

Interesting. The guys in the Bahamas who fish for tuna swear by
something called a "cedar plug" and also mentioned circling the birds.
Our GB definitely attracts dolphins in big numbers, apparently because
of the sound. Once they find the boat however riding the wake becomes
the big attraction.

We routinely hoist the RIB dinghy, 20 hp outboard, fuel and gear using
the mast and boom, probably in the 400 to 500 pound range all up. Our
mast and boom are more heavily stayed than most.

RCE July 3rd 07 03:11 PM

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

We routinely hoist the RIB dinghy, 20 hp outboard, fuel and gear using
the mast and boom, probably in the 400 to 500 pound range all up. Our
mast and boom are more heavily stayed than most.

We just ordered a fiberglass dinghy from Dyer Boats. It's the only one I
found that will fit on the aft cabin cradle and is of the style acceptable
to Mrs. E.

http://www.dyerboats.com/dyer_midget.html

The boat was rigged with a single block on the boom and I knew that wouldn't
hack it as there would be no mechanical advantage. I started searching the
Internet for some multiple blocks, then, lo and behold, while rummaging
around on the boat I found an almost brand new triple block setup, complete
with new line. It should do the job very well.

Eisboch

Wayne.B July 3rd 07 04:04 PM

Tuna! (was Poor man's Air Conditioning)

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 10:13:24 -0400, wrote:

http://www.jackrabbitmarine.com/

Located right in Stamford
203-961-8133

If they can't do it, they will know somebody good.

Thanks good call. I met the owner of Jackrabbit once and one of his
sons used to be a neighbor of mine.

Meanwhile the issue seems to have been resolved with a bit of belt
tightening. We'll see.

Wayne.B July 3rd 07 04:11 PM

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 10:11:08 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

http://www.dyerboats.com/dyer_midget.html

The boat was rigged with a single block on the boom and I knew that wouldn't
hack it as there would be no mechanical advantage. I started searching the
Internet for some multiple blocks, then, lo and behold, while rummaging
around on the boat I found an almost brand new triple block setup, complete
with new line. It should do the job very well.

Triple blocks will work well on a light dinghy, 5 to 1 purchase I
assume. I started out with a 5:1 on the boom lift but it was not
enough for my slightly aging back and heavy RIB. I now have 7:1
pulling 2:1 and that works well for the most part, the only real issue
being that I can only raise the boom to a 45 degree angle. That's
usually enough unless I want to go stow something close to the mast.

Short Wave Sportfishing July 3rd 07 04:54 PM

Tuna! (was Poor man's Air Conditioning)

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 09:46:02 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

We'll be headed "out east" towards the end of July. Perhaps we could
get together in Essex or some such.

10-4.

We'll be back from SC by then.

Short Wave Sportfishing July 3rd 07 05:08 PM

Tuna! (was Poor man's Air Conditioning)

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 09:55:51 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 06:19:17 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

Most are using the standard artificial squid rigs. Of course, each captain
has his "special" tailer attached to entice the tuna. Others have special
bottom paint, some swear that different engine exhaust sounds attract them.
Personally, I think it's all BS.

Interesting. The guys in the Bahamas who fish for tuna swear by
something called a "cedar plug" and also mentioned circling the birds.

It's not a regional thing. Cedar plugs are pretty common "chase"
baits. They have a sound component as they splash around that imitates
a bait fish.

A lot of times you will see daisy chains with cedar plugs, although
I'm not convinced that these types of chase baits in daisy chains are
as effective as plastics with bubbler heads.

When I was active, I liked to use divers with daisy chained bubblers.
I found a combination of Mann's deep divers out 100 yards as teasers
with flying outlyer bubblers daisy chained worked well.

To each their own I guess.

Our GB definitely attracts dolphins in big numbers, apparently because
of the sound. Once they find the boat however riding the wake becomes
the big attraction.

See what I was talking about? A lot of the more successful tuna
chasers have 671s.

We routinely hoist the RIB dinghy, 20 hp outboard, fuel and gear using
the mast and boom, probably in the 400 to 500 pound range all up. Our
mast and boom are more heavily stayed than most.

That would do it, although pulling a tuna over the transom would take
some muscle - in particular if you managed to hook into a giant.

Wayne.B July 3rd 07 07:29 PM

Tuna! (was Poor man's Air Conditioning)

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 16:08:14 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

That would do it, although pulling a tuna over the transom would take
some muscle - in particular if you managed to hook into a giant.

The only giant I ever saw was in Scituate up near Eisboch's turf. A
guy had it at the town dock waiting for buyers to check it out. He
was in a 24 ft open cockpit I/O with his wife and kids. I guess he
must have towed it all the way back. About half of the town was there
to see it and we went over to find out what the commotion was about.