BoatBanter.com

-   -   Garmin GPS (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/81363-garmin-gps.html)

Eisboch June 7th 07 01:28 AM

Garmin GPS

Anybody have or seen the new Garmin 545 GPS chartplotter? Impressive.
With the "Vision" chip, it overlays satellite images onto the charts, plus
will automatically generate a route to any destination, similar to the car
GPS systems, but taking into account your boat's specific criteria such as
draft and height.

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing June 7th 07 02:23 AM

Garmin GPS

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 20:28:40 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Anybody have or seen the new Garmin 545 GPS chartplotter? Impressive.
With the "Vision" chip, it overlays satellite images onto the charts, plus
will automatically generate a route to any destination, similar to the car
GPS systems, but taking into account your boat's specific criteria such as
draft and height.

Haven't seen one yet, but Mapquest software has been doing that for a
while now. I've seen that technology - it's pretty impressive.

Short Wave Sportfishing June 7th 07 02:36 AM

Garmin GPS

wrote:

Anybody have or seen the new Garmin 545 GPS chartplotter? Impressive.
With the "Vision" chip, it overlays satellite images onto the charts, plus
will automatically generate a route to any destination, similar to the car
GPS systems, but taking into account your boat's specific criteria such as
draft and height.

Haven't seen one yet, but Mapquest software has been doing that for a
while now. I've seen that technology - it's pretty impressive.

Ummmm - make that Maptech.

~~ mutter ~~

Josh Assing June 7th 07 05:01 AM

Garmin GPS

I saw that right after I bought my 498 -- not sure the extra money is worth it;
but it sure is cool -- definatley not worth buying a 2nd unit for the added
features -- but if the price drops a fair amount; I'll take a 2nd look

RCE June 8th 07 12:26 AM

Garmin GPS

"Josh Assing" wrote in message
I saw that right after I bought my 498 -- not sure the extra money is worth
it;
but it sure is cool -- definatley not worth buying a 2nd unit for the
added
features -- but if the price drops a fair amount; I'll take a 2nd look

I just finished installing one. I'll tell you what's cool .... is the 3D
displays of "below the waterline". You can be cruising along in a channel
and, depending on tide, it shows depth below your keel and any obstacles.

I'll let your know if it really works.

Eisboch

Josh Assing June 8th 07 09:31 PM

Garmin GPS

Now that sounds cool!
let us know how it works -- try to get a picture of it -- it sounds really cool

-j

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 19:26:14 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

.. .