HK HK is offline

Default Climate change reveals some interesting old boats

NOYB wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
NOYB wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:43:34 -0400, wrote:

This has a lot more to do with SFWMD and the army corps draining down
the lake than the drought. You didn't really hear much about it but my
son in law (water manager for SFWMD) told me they almost lost the
Hoover dike during Wilma and the order went out to drain down the
lake.
Any idea when Lake O might make it back up to navigable (for me)
depths of 5.5 to 6 ft?

Right now I have to detour over 200 NM through the Keys to the east
coast.

Awwww. Well, you could always rent a flatbed rail car.
I know a Dr. in town who has his 36' boat trailered across to Ft.
Lauderdale when he wants to make a trip to the Bahamas because it saves
him time and fuel.

Sounds like a smart move to me. Getting there is not the kind of boating I
enjoy. Being there is.

I'd burn about 200 gallons of fuel each way just to get to the East Coast.
But more importantly, I'd waste two full days just travelling between Naples
and Ft. Lauderdale and back. If I take my boat to the Bahamas, I'm
definitely looking into getting someone to trailer it over to Lauderdale,
and leaving from there. Time is my most valuable commodity right now.

I have a buddy with the proper size diesel pickup to haul my Parker down
to Virginia Beach and to North Carolina. We make the trip a couple times
a year. He pays for the fuel to get us there and I pay for the fuel we
use while we're there. We might have to refigure that what with fuel
costs for both of us.

Interestingly, it takes about the same amount of time to get down to
Virginia Beach by boat as it does hauling the boat behind a trailer.
It's about 120 miles by water and on a good day I can average about 25
mph on the boat. It's twice as far by truck but you can go twice as
fast. Either way, it's four to five hours.

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 20:30:55 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

I'd burn about 200 gallons of fuel each way just to get to the East Coast.

Yep.

Having been through Lake O a bunch of times in the last few years the
novelty has worn off, but it does save a lot of time and fuel. With
operating costs well north of $6/NM, 200 extra miles begins to add up
after a while.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 20:30:55 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

I'd burn about 200 gallons of fuel each way just to get to the East Coast.

Yep.

Having been through Lake O a bunch of times in the last few years the
novelty has worn off, but it does save a lot of time and fuel. With
operating costs well north of $6/NM, 200 extra miles begins to add up
after a while.

As the Illinois senator, Everett Dirksen, said, "A billion here, a billion
there and pretty soon you're talking real money."