posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default What did these sailors do wrong?

"Larry" wrote in message
Chuck Gould wrote in
ups.com:

One of the saltiest and most capable boaters I ever knew was cruising
his 38-footer until a week before he died. In fact, we were with him
when he started having chest pains one evening at the Silverdale town
dock. We took him to a hospital to get checked out. That was the
beginning of the end for him, he didn't survive the angioplasty
operation the following week. He was 83 or 84, and his wife a couple
of years younger.

What a bunch of nonsense. NOONE you'll ever meet on the dock over 60
years old should be allowed to be the primary muscle on any boat going
out of the harbor, out of sight of land. I don't give a damn how many
years him and his wife got away with it. An 80+ year old man CANNOT do
the physical work of a much younger man (or woman), required to handle
such emergencies in such conditions. Hell, the 20-somethings are
overwhelmed by a lot of it.

Doesn't wash, no matter how many years they got away with it.

Larry
--

Just because I am over 70, you want to take my boat away? I will admit that
the reason I bought my little ketch 11 years ago was because being a split

Leanne

"Leanne" wrote in :

Just because I am over 70, you want to take my boat away? I will admit
that the reason I bought my little ketch 11 years ago was because
being a split rig makes it a lot easier to handle the sails. I guess
it is time for me to join the stink potters and but a trawler.

Leanne

Not at all! I never said that! I said that IF you want to go offshore,
expecting young rescuers to risk their lives to save you, you MUST be
certified to be in a certain physical condition...or...failing
that...MUST have certifiable seamen aboard able to handle the boat during
your incapacitation or in overwhelming emergencies. Noone's gonna take
your boat toy away from you.

But, let's be reasonable just for a change, this hermit-on-a-boat crap
you see on every dock, the old man with the heart condition sailing with
his clueless wife who is, at best, an "informed passenger" and servant,
"and the world can kiss my ass" attitude IS endangering lives, besides
their own. Those boys in the helo deserve more respect and to be treated
better than just cannon fodder for some old fool hell bent on killing his
family....at all costs.

There DOES come a time, at some point, where EVERY ONE OF YOU needs to be
told NO, if you're so self-centered you cannot see the danger you're
putting yourself, and these rescuers/other boaters/etc. in.

This boat stupidity of just having money, being totally blind and driving
the Hatteras 58 away from the dock is JUST STUPID!

Larry
--
This spammer called my cellphone:
First American Payment

On Wed, 09 May 2007 00:00:23 +0000, Larry wrote:

This boat stupidity of just having money, being totally blind and driving
the Hatteras 58 away from the dock is JUST STUPID!

It won't happen too many times.

Insurance companies are the real gate keepers.